• ALL Threads/Post in Rehome Highway will be reviewed for compliance to forum guidelines before being approved.
  • Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Question on rehoming and bonding

Status
Not open for further replies.

lovemybirds

Strolling the yard
So I have a Sun Conure who will be coming to live with us. We did the home check and the current mom is very nice. She will be visiting 1-2 times a week to let the bird get use to us so she is comfortable with the change. Will the bird ever take to me while mom is still the owner? Her current mom wants to make sure she is comfortable because she really loves this little girl will the bird become more comfortable as the visits go? She seems so sweet. Any input.

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
Yes, by all means go visit. Ask the current Mom to let you give her a favorite treat. Let her come to you and get to know you. This is a good thing, and even though she may still take a few days to adjust in your home she will have more security knowing you in advance.

Ginger

thebirdnerds

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Jennifer
I visited Dino before they surrendered him. They really did care for him but he was plucked and I don't think they realized that they were inadequately caring for him. When he finally did come here, he bonded to me immediatly and for the first few months only allowed me to touch him. I think he clung to me because I was familiar in the new environment.

Renae

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
She may take a bit to get used to you being the new mum, but visting as often as you can and having her get used to you, who'll be the new mum, will help her so she doesn't see you as some sort of threat when she eventually comes to your home.

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
some birds bond with you the minute you visit it will depend on the bird but as said giving treats and seeing you and getting use to you will help

:hug8:

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki
Are you saying you will visit there or the previous owner will be coming to visit the bird at your house?

Archiesmom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Natalie
I sometimes wish I had been able to arrange time to meet with Ella, my sun conure, before bringing her into my home. It wouldn't have changed my decision, but I think she is a bird who is completely disrupted by change because of it happening so much in her life. She is just now, after 7 months, accepting me as one of her "ok" people and I think the transition of our bonding would have gone much smoother if her situation hadn't been so dire to get her into my home (her owner was being transported up to mayo for a heart and lung transplant, and was going to be staying in the hospital until an undetermined date). I would highly recommend taking the opportunity!

Status
Not open for further replies.