• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Question on diet and how to improve it.

Snowghost

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
Paco was on mainly a seed diet, Hartz Parrot food she bought at the grocery store. I only gave him 1/4 cup of that and introduced red, yellow, orange and green peppers, hard boiled egg, baked potato, radishes, bananas, yellow squash and brocali. Loves the pepper and banana, shreds the brocali and tosses the radishes. He nibbles and then drops the food, does this mean he does not like it or that is the way a parrot eats? He will eat the banana and the hard boiled egg. I was in a pinch to find bird food so I opted for a small bag of Wild Harvest Daily Blend for parrots. I chose this as it does not have a lot of meal in it. Dried split peas, oat groats, whole corn, wheat, soybeans, safflower seeds, carry grass, ground corn, there is a list of vitamins, de hulled sunflower seeds, no peanuts, oops take that back must be shelled, I haven't seen any.

I am only giving him about a 1/4 cup and encouraging the veggies and fruit. Will pick up more today. He is now enjoying Lafeber Nutri Berries that are 23% pellet. He tossed them at first but is now eating them.

Am I on the right track? I want to make sure he is getting the nutrition he needs and will try to see if I can get some samples of pellets.

He has plucked his chest feathers before I got him. I have had him for a week now and have only seen 2 feathers at the bottom of the cage. He is clean now, smells better, preens, sits on one foot and stretches, getting more vocal.

Thanking everyone in advance for educating me.

katebf38

Sprinting down the street
Welcome and glad you are here. There are a lot of very knowledgeable people here to guide you through just about every situation. You are in the right place! :hello:

Snowghost

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
oops did I post this in the wrong place? Thanks for the welcome, I joined in February 2019.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
:bump4: