• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Question: Freezing chop

Wendy27

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
I have a question about freezing chop: I have these trays made for freezing homemade baby food - if I use these to freeze small portions of chop - can I then pop the frozen cubes out - and then place them in a freezer bag - or will they stick together of I do this? THANKS!

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I have done that with both cat food and chop (separately obviously :lol:) and no issues with either :)

Tanya

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Tanya
We do it all the time here. In ice cube trays. Can't say I've seen a difference in the amount that ends up on the floor/walls/cage/ceiling as compared to the fresh stuff so I guess they're eating it. ;)

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
I put my chop in small snack bags, just enough to serve a day or two. I flatten the bag and get the air out. I put several of those in a quart freezer bag and pout in the freezer.

The flat snack bags will thaw quickly.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I put my chop in small snack bags, just enough to serve a day or two. I flatten the bag and get the air out. I put several of those in a quart freezer bag and pout in the freezer.

The flat snack bags will thaw quickly.

This is how I do it now too; just easier for me :)

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
I make huge batch’s and freeze in ice cube trays, transfer to freezer bags. the night before I move the cubes I need to the fridge for thawing 0R I use the microwave, but if you do that be sure to stir or wait a little while due to possible hot spots.

BirdManDan

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Dan
welcome pooh.jpg to the HOOD. That is exactly what I do with no problems. It's nice being able to do a large batch of chopping and then store it for future use as it's a lot of work when you have a large flock.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I do not like to freeze the chopped veggies because it turns out mushy when thawed. Its better if you drain the fluid from the veggies first but that may take some of the nutrients away.