• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Question for US vendors who ship to Canada

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Cozy Nestbox

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly
Any time I have shipped to Canada, I have had to stand in line at the Post Office and fill out a customs form for each package. Do you all do this too or is there some way to get around this?

The mail service in my area is abysmal....it is not uncommon for me to have to wait in line for more than 30 minutes or longer waiting to be served. I've tried going to different postal offices in my area but they are all pretty much the same. Long lines and only 1 or 2 clerks working the counter. I use Click-N-Ship for my US customers and can print out postage here and drop packages off at the Post Office without waiting in line. Just wondering if there is any way I can do this for Canadian customers too.

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
As long as you are sending it priority mail, you can do it on line, but priority mail is pretty expensive to Canada and many people choose that you send it parcel post which you can't do online.

Meatball

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Yes, I have to fill out the forms too, it is a pain but you save a lot in shipping for Canadian Customers.
You can ship online but have to use Priority mail which is really expensive to Canada.

Maybe ask them if you can have some extra forms so you can have them filled out and ready to go on your next visit?

The Cozy Nestbox

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly
How long does it take for packages to arrive at Canadian destinations when shipped first class? I'm worried my products would not endure an overly-lengthy transit time. I've shipped some test packages via USPS Priority Mail and that was still slower than I would prefer. Is there much difference in transit time between things shipped via Priority Mail versus First Class Mail?

Meatball

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
How long does it take for packages to arrive at Canadian destinations when shipped first class? I'm worried my products would not endure an overly-lengthy transit time. I've shipped some test packages via USPS Priority Mail and that was still slower than I would prefer. Is there much difference in transit time between things shipped via Priority Mail versus First Class Mail?
That is a very good question, I had not thought that you had perishable items shipping. Did you check the USPS website? You can calculate cost/transit time on the website.
I have only ever shipped First Class to Canada and it usually takes 7-10 days I believe.

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
My packages have usually been received between 10-12 days. My last 4 orders from the US have all been by first class mail and I am SO thankful to those vendors.:hug8:

crystaljam

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Crystal
I'm on the Canada Side, but when I see my Mail Lady at Canada Post, I'm prepared with the paperwork filled out already - she gives me a large stack whenever I need it - it makes both of our jobs more efficient.

It takes about 6-10 business days from this end for smaller packages, 3-4 business days for larger packages.

My Post Office lady rocks!

Barbi

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Barbi
If a person pays with PayPal you can go to that payment in your paypal account and click "ship now". There you can also ship parcel if not too heavy...4 lb limit I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.