• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Question for people with louder birds?

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I live in a flat with Leia, a BW Pionus.

Her cage is in a room that doesn't share walls with neighbours. I haven't had complaints about her, but I also haven't complained about the upstairs neighbours who (loudly) do salsa practice every Friday night...I don't want to start a back-and-forth of noise complaints! Leia is also covered between 9pm and 9am which means she's more or less silent at night except for the occasional mumble.

Basically, being cool about other people's noise and being a good neighbour helps to an extent.

Hawk12237

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael

Hawk12237

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
Manners??!!??!! My neighbors two houses down hate everything!!! They throw fireworks into my yard.
That is why our creator created two very essential things....a middle finger to express our differences of opinions...in silence.....with a big smile...and a flock of chickens I can send over to poop goblets in their yard!!!

Last edited:

Kodigirl210

Our babies are pretty quiet but fids are fids and you can’t stop excited calling or yelling sometimes. That being said about year 4 of living in the apartments, my downstairs neighbor and I went through a pretty bad back and forth complaint thing. He’s was a wife & kid beater but his wife refused to leave him or acknowledge what was going on. She made every excuse possible to the landlady who finally got to the point of saying if it’s that bad then call the police. I told her to let them know the next time it happened I wouldn’t be calling the landlady and I would be calling the cops. That was enough to be our turning point. Now we do stupid little things to aggravate each other but they’ve come to realize there’s nothing they can do that will get me in trouble with the landlady while I have documented stuff on them :p So if I play music at 5am while I get ready or the girls squeak in excitement at the wrong time every so often nothing gets said to anyone. That said - I do try to limit how much noise they make in the “quiet hours” but I don’t worry excessively if they do. It’s a perfect situation as far as I am concerned.

And as a side note - no he no longer tries to physically hurt the wife or kids. She started going to the gym and the kids got bigger. Mentally- who knows? She’s the type of person who would get you arrested for trying to help. I realized that early on when they try to intimidate me for calling the landlady on their craziness. Sometimes you just have to accept that there’s nothing you can do and just live your life and let other people live theirs the way they want to. Sad but true. :shrug:

msplantladi

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
We're lucky, our building seems really well made unlike some apartments, so sounds only come though in certain areas. That said, I know Buzzard's scream can make it through, but he doesn't do it often and when he does it's over so quickly I don't think they realize what it is.

Still, we're moving to a nice mobile home in the next few weeks and it will be nice not to have any shared walls with the neighbors.
Congrats on the move-we did the same in January but in a senior park-yes I was very nervous about my neighbors-ya don't wanna piss off old people ( I am 64 I can say that-lol) I have 9 birds , and two vocal dogs. Now the dogs aren't out unless I am out with them, I do have play stands on the porch but we had only lived here a week & the birds hadn't been out yet and since they were in new surroundings they were pretty quiet but when i went to the office to turn in paperwk the gal tells me she had a compliant about the birds-I already knew which neighbor but let her continue to tell me this neighbor heard my birds screaming at 5:00 her reply to the complainer was " did it the scream last hours and was it after 10:30 pm?" no to both and I was told not to worry about it.I have since explained to this neighbor what happens at 5 pm in a bird household lol. So the other day when they were patiently or not so patiently waiting for dinner they were doing their normal 5:00 routine which yes can get loud especially if I am slow to get dinner to them, the neighbor was walking by and said " must be dinner time" lol No matter where you live unless you are out in the middle of no where you will always have that one person-just be mindful that not all are bird people. Being in a park with seniors news travels fast and I have had several neighbors stop by on their walks to admire the birds when they are out on the porch with me. As already said just be mindful of others.

Sylvester

Hit the Road
I live about a quarter of a mile away from my closest neighbor, and yes, they can hear Fred and his banshee screams.

And no, they have never gotten mad. Although I did have to explain that nobody was being murdered at my house. :)

Farlie

Real Name
Rick
I live about a quarter of a mile away from my closest neighbor, and yes, they can hear Fred and his banshee screams.

And no, they have never gotten mad. Although I did have to explain that nobody was being murdered at my house. :)
:laughing7:

My Sun isn't LOUD, NOT. No complaints just comments occasionally. Mostly saying that they heard him yesterday or that they haven't heard him in a while. Everyone has said that it doesn' bother them at all. Our walls are thick so the sound is pretty muffled.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Our neighbors have never really said anything about the bird vocalizations coming from our house...ever. I've waited for someone to say something, but nothing.

I know they can be heard from outside, especially Milton. Lately Buddy has been exerting her vocal abilities, too...

BeanieofJustice

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Steph
My neighbor has a cockatiel and a mini-macaw (hahns) but they've never heard Sam - they were surprised that I had a bird, but he's not loud very often. Sometimes, when he does shout, I can hear him from the barn but that's usually when it's a windy day and the wind can be upsetting to him when he's alone. Regardless of music or the TV being left on for him. I've heard their mini when they leave the wooden door open and just have the screen door closed but that's usually if I'm walking past there anyway. The neighbors here are pretty spread out.

Lodah

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
The neighbors occasionally give me their sympathy in regards to how loud my wife yells at me... but hey, Im used to it! Oh... you mean a fid! :rolleyes:

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
The neighbors occasionally give me their sympathy in regards to how loud my wife yells at me... but hey, Im used to it! Oh... you mean a fid! :rolleyes:
:laughin::naughty:

FlyingMacaws

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Naomi
Hi guys! I was just wondering, out of pure curiosity, those of you who have loud birds, do your neighbor's ever get mad from all the noise? Can they hear your birds from their house?
I am grateful that my flock is rather quiet. They do 2-3 flock calls a day. Morning, noon and night and they are typically quiet throughout the day. I know my neighbors have “heard” them when they all get going but no one has complained yet. Not even my D-bag neighbor(he is known as the neighborhood bully, he literally called the cops on my other neighbor for growing marijuana-tomato plants)

Gen120

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Victoria :)
We've never had any complaints in the 2 houses we've lived in since I got birds but then again, the houses were far apart and not your typical neighborhood. We live in a somewhat rural area. But I still live with my parents and when I move out on my own, I have to admit I'm worried about noise and neighbors. Sammy can get pretty loud sometimes. We did live in a normal neighborhood when I was younger, like 7 or 8 and our neighbors had a M2 and it was incredibly loud. I remember watching it as I was hanging over the fence. It had a big cage out on their patio. I didn't know anything about parrots at the time as a 7 year old lol! I'm pretty sure if I remember right there were noise complaints, I have no memory of who they were from etc.