• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Question: Favorite foods

Wendy27

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Curious to know the favorite, healthy food choices of newly weaned eclectus - thanks!

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I don't have an Eclectus, but I know they need fresh produce, not processed foods. You have a baby coming? I'd offer it a huge variety to try and establish good eating habits, but the ones I've known have been great eaters. I'd offer a quality, natural (not colored) pellet, sprouts, cooked or steamed sweet potatoes, parsnips, carrots, and squash; beets, bok choy, lots of dark, leafy greens (chard, spinach, arugula, dandelion, kale, etc.); cooked beans, cooked rice, herbs like parsley, mint, & cilantro...you might was well make some chop, too. Check out Feathered Food Court here for lots of recipes.

And if you're bringing home a newly weaned baby, be prepared to handfeed or spoon feed when it regresses or needs the comfort.

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
what does "bump" mean?

That was to move your thread up on the new posts list, so someone might come along and answer. I'm sure some Eclectus owners will be along to provide their input. ;)

alshgs

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Following! We will hopefully bring our rescue home next weekend if transfer goes as planned!

Wendy27

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
I don't have an Eclectus, but I know they need fresh produce, not processed foods. You have a baby coming? I'd offer it a huge variety to try and establish good eating habits, but the ones I've known have been great eaters. I'd offer a quality, natural (not colored) pellet, sprouts, cooked or steamed sweet potatoes, parsnips, carrots, and squash; beets, bok choy, lots of dark, leafy greens (chard, spinach, arugula, dandelion, kale, etc.); cooked beans, cooked rice, herbs like parsley, mint, & cilantro...you might was well make some chop, too. Check out Feathered Food Court here for lots of recipes.

And if you're bringing home a newly weaned baby, be prepared to handfeed or spoon feed when it regresses or needs the comfort.

Wendy27

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Thank you and question - when you offer the dark green leafy veggie - do you need to chop it small or just offer the whole leaf - I worry about big pieces ( of any food) getting stuck in the throat.

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Thank you and question - when you offer the dark green leafy veggie - do you need to chop it small or just offer the whole leaf - I worry about big pieces ( of any food) getting stuck in the throat.

For a baby, especially, I'd offer larger chunks and finer chop. Sometimes, birds like a food prepared one way, but not another. And a baby will play with food in the process of trying it, so chunks to hold would be good. I would offer WAY more veggies than fruit: most fruits have little nutrition to offer. You need to provide the baby with a smorgasbord of foods but offer fruit sparingly at first. IMO.