• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Question concerning learning tricks that involve the back...

Linearis

Walking the driveway
Okay so I watched this video about how to train your bird to lay on it's back in your hand, and after I watched it I thought "wow that looks really easy and would probably make cutting her nails easier too". But after doing it for a while I started to wonder about it more because a lot of people say that you shouldn't touch a bird's back because it's mating behavior... so would this trick be not good then? Or do they know the difference? If I shouldn't teach her this trick would there be other tricks I could teach her to make cutting her nails easier?

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sadie
Good question. I don't think they view it particularly as sexual because of what's usually happening at the same time. A bird on their back is very vulnerable. Some species are more keen to being on their back (play fighting), but in general I think they know the difference.

There isn't much to the trick; you just gradually increase the angle until they're flat. It's great for Rupert... I can check his feet and medicate them, trim toenails easier and also give him treats at random or giving oral medication.

Linearis

Walking the driveway
Thanks for the reply! I also recently bought a clicker (well, two types) and I'm wondering if I should wait for them to arrive before continuing or not. Until now I've just said "good" and "good bird" but problem I see is that I say those things outside of training too and I don't wanna confuse my bird...

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sadie
The clicker just marks the behavior the instant it happens. I still say "good job!" as I'm handing over the treat. I try to keep it fun and engaging when I train.

I don't see a problem with saying "good" for other things; you're just encouraging them for good behaviors. :) It's training in disguise.

Linearis

Walking the driveway
Yeah I've been using my "good bird" and "good" the moment she does the do to mark behavior but I rather use clicker. She seems really eager to train though. Her stepping up has improved. xD; She keeps asking to be let out to train more because she's so millet-motivated haha... I could try "good job" though since I say that less in general. x.x

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sadie
Food-motivated animals are fabulous. ;) Makes it easier!