• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Question about Zebra Finches..

Debbie

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Debbie
I just lost a Zebra Finch. I had 2, both males, both gotten together, they are only 1 1/2 yrs. old. Last time I saw this Finch alive was this afternoon, and he seemed fine. My question is my son dropped 3 bowls on the floor, made a loud noise, all 3 broke...Cage is in a different room, but I have an open floor plan, so I'm sure this was a loud noise...Could this have possibly scared this bird enough to go into heart faliure? Bird died, eyes open, no swelling, no red areas, no dirty bottom, nothing on the outside to make me think he was an ill bird.
So, this is a little bit of a shock, not expecting this to happen in so young of a bird. My question though is that my plan has been not to replace these finches when they passed on...I figured that by the time one of them passed they would both be older, and the one left would not have that long of a life span left to live as a single. This changes things...I want to do the right thing. My understanding is these finches need 2, which is why I got 2. So, do I wait awhile and see how this little guy reacts to being a single, or would the best thing for this bird be to find him a new home. I would wait a bit just to make sure this one stays healthy before trying to see if the bird shop I got him from would take him to find him another home.
Has anyone had just a single finch that has lived a long happy life? I'm a bit sad...Rest in Peace little Oscar...

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
So sorry for the loss of your finch.

@finchly ?

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Sorry for the loss of your finch.
Hope someone here can give you good advice.

Haven't seen her around for awhile but perhaps @mythic55 can chime in.

Debbie

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Debbie
My lone finch Oliver has been quiet today, he is eating and moving around though. He was only vocal for short periods of time today. Poor boy. Taking my time to decide what I'm going to do. I'm thinking though to be fair to him I either need to get him another pal, or call the bird shop I got him from...My son says get another (bless him)..but I know what my husband would say. Unfortunately with him it's the fewer the better. Hey, I've spent over 35 years now trying to get him to see how much fun they can be....that has never happened. His loss, but it makes this decision harder for me...

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Hi,
Yes, the fright could have caused him to fly into the cage wall or something, or even just fall off the perch and injure himself.
Please do not keep a single zebra, they are flock animals and will become very, very lonely. You can get another zebra finch or a society finch to keep him happy....don't stray too far from those 2, as they do not make friends with many other types of finches (zebras are too flighty for some others!).
If you are not going to keep him, I'd say go ahead and return to the pet shop straightaway. It is stressful for him to be alone.

Debbie

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Debbie
Well...I'm probably going to have to give this single guy back to the bird shop...I called the other day and they said they would take him...my heart was weakening to getting another buddy for him, but my husband just got laid off so that sort of helped make the decision for me..I will miss him so...This is not starting the year off very well...first the birds...the my husbands job...:(

Distaff

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Mary
Ouch.
Hugs. Prayers too, if you want 'em.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name