• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Question about yucca plant

CrazyBirdChick

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
I want to buy a nice big yucca plant soon and from the research I've done it says they are bird safe. But one site (I can't find it now unfortunately) said that the plant is safe but to be very careful with the "spine"

Does anyone have any idea what that means? What is a spine and how can it be harmful?

CrazyBirdChick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
Like a cactus spine or needle sharp leaves

How yucca plant spines can hurt you, your pets
Ahh, so it's just the pointyness then. I was confused cause spine makes me think of the trunk. Thank you Shawna! I guess that would be too risky because Blu might decide to fly onto it one day.

I wish there was a bird safe plant website that shows the pictures of the plant, along with the names. Does anyone know of a resource like that?

I need a few big plants. They will not be in Blu's room but he may spend some supervised time in the room with the plants sometimes.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge

CrazyBirdChick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
I had a yucca about 5 years ago. The ends of the leaves were quite prickly :)

Toxic and Safe Plants/Trees for Birds - Household Poisons
You could Google the plants you don't know to search for pictures.
Thanks Zara! I was being lazy not wanting to look up pictures :lol:But I will do it when things calm down a little next week. Thanks for the link!

I also had a yucca many years ago that I regret not taking with me when I moved. I love the look of it. It reminds me of the tropics. I had a Quaker back then too and didn't even think to look up what plants were bird safe cause he never did naughty stuff. :rolleyes:

Jade grows well and is bird safe. Plus they can get large and live a long time.
Ahh, I never thought about jade. I think that's a beautiful plant too! I've never seen a big one for sale. Actually I think I did once but it soo expensive. I will get a smaller one though and wait for it to get big. Thanks for the suggestion!

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge