• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Question about window safety

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Terry
Well, I spose anything like that could be a hazard depending on how active and crazy your bird is. We sometimes would leave Lurch out when we left the house if he was settled and one night when we came back we couldn't find him. We both knew he didn't fly out or at the door when we came in so we locked up and looked everywhere figuring he fell behind something or went somewhere good to hide. After a while I heard a noise in the laundry nook and noticed the washer lid was open. I looked inside and there was Lurch with his wings spread out, looking back at me in the bottom of the luckily fully dry tub:omg:. He probably startled when we unlocked and slowly opened the door and fell in or flew over and fell in just before we got home. The tub was clean and he seemed just fine when I scooped him out. We always kept that lid closed after that

CrazyBirdChick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
This got me thinking Diane! Fiona is happily sitting on her tension rod (metal) right now in the window, but she's a budgie, so she doesn't try to bite that tension rod that I am aware of. (Everything else, yep) Okay so my idea is... (drumroll) LOL...

Mount dowels across the windows like curtain rods with toys hanging off of them! A curtain made of toys! Hey, I really think I'm on to something today - my Sunday coffee must be kicking in. How tall is Blu? You could do each rod about 6" or 11" or so above his head! :D
Very clever, Elly! Blu is probably about 11 or 12 inches. :)

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Putting sacrificial curtains up during the day is an excellent idea, Terry! My only concern with that is, once he makes holes in them, wouldn't that also be a strangulation or tangle hazard too?
4388D02D-1607-4D7A-A914-3EDB50FF2F3C.jpeg

CrazyBirdChick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
Well, I spose anything like that could be a hazard depending on how active and crazy your bird is. We sometimes would leave Lurch out when we left the house if he was settled and one night when we came back we couldn't find him. We both knew he didn't fly out or at the door when we came in so we locked up and looked everywhere figuring he fell behind something or went somewhere good to hide. After a while I heard a noise in the laundry nook and noticed the washer lid was open. I looked inside and there was Lurch with his wings spread out, looking back at me in the bottom of the luckily fully dry tub:omg:. He probably startled when we unlocked and slowly opened the door and fell in or flew over and fell in just before we got home. The tub was clean and he seemed just fine when I scooped him out. We always kept that lid closed after that
Omg! That's so funny but must've been scary when you couldn't find him.

Dartman

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Terry
OSHA here now claims 6 feet is a possible death fall, they used to say 10 feet I think. Anything can be a hazard with enough bad luck, you just have to balance the real hazards vs the ones that COULD possibly happen so you don't end up wrapping everything in bubble wrap.

CrazyBirdChick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
OSHA here now claims 6 feet is a possible death fall, they used to say 10 feet I think. Anything can be a hazard with enough bad luck, you just have to balance the real hazards vs the ones that COULD possibly happen so you don't end up wrapping everything in bubble wrap.
So true! I just can't help seeing possible hazards sometimes. I should have a job being a safety hazard finder, lol. It's like a natural reaction for me because my mother was like that with me. Very over protective. It's a good thing, most of the time, but I guess not always.

Dartman

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Terry
You need to watch the movie Lemony Snickets, A Series of Unfortunate Events someday. There is a part in it where the kids in the story end up with a kinda crazy lady who means well and is kind towards them. She keeps telling them of all the horrible things that will happen if certain bizarre circumstances take place. Like the gas stove catching fire and the flames super heating the door knob on the front door so they can't escape the flames and eventual gas explosion of the house and many more. Well at the end of that part of the story every horrible thing she told them about happened but of course they all survived because she had planned ahead for any possibility. It is a series of books out of England too and is very popular and funny so they made the movie about one of the stories.

CrazyBirdChick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
You need to watch the movie Lemony Snickets, A Series of Unfortunate Events someday. There is a part in it where the kids in the story end up with a kinda crazy lady who means well and is kind towards them. She keeps telling them of all the horrible things that will happen if certain bizarre circumstances take place. Like the gas stove catching fire and the flames super heating the door knob on the front door so they can't escape the flames and eventual gas explosion of the house and many more. Well at the end of that part of the story every horrible thing she told them about happened but of course they all survived because she had planned ahead for any possibility. It is a series of books out of England too and is very popular and funny so they made the movie about one of the stories.
Ooh, I've heard of that before but had no idea that's what it's about. Sound like a fun movie I will have to check out! :)

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Haha! I try not to worry as much these days but isn't there a small chance that if he was hanging from the fabric and his toe or neck got caught in a hole and then he flailed around a bit, is it not possible that the fabric could constrict and cause a hazard?
You could step outside and get hit by a bus too.

Blunt those toe nails and there's nothing to worry about IMO.

CrazyBirdChick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
You could step outside and get hit by a bus too.

Blunt those toe nails and there's nothing to worry about IMO.
It's true, and I suppose worrying about it can't prevent it completely. But somehow I can't stop completely :shrug3:

That is window protection film. And that one was called mosaic.
Thank you!

Dartman

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Terry
I used to worry about Nerd bird when it dawned on me he was 20 years old. He of course never had a clue and continued to do Nerd things and be happy. I gave up on worrying about him and he soldiered on another 11 happy years and was over 31 when he left me.
Just take the normal precautions and enjoy your time together as there aren't any guarantees and you both just want to be happy and healthy together.

simon777

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Iliel
mum doesn't clean the windows, inside or outside. she only cleans off mold for my health sake. the outside has been collecting spider webs for years and its easy to see. it helps the outside birds too from crashing into the glass and the fantails have lots of spider webs for their nests and spiders to eat. sometimes I even watch the spiders crawling around. I know most people want clean windows but this way costs nothing, helps me, helps the outside birds and also gives the spiders somewhere to build webs and catch their food.