• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Question about vomiting

chickadeecap

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Abby
Today I towelled Casper in preparation to clip his claws, and I'm fairly certain what happened was I squeezed him too hard on the crop, because he vomited (definitely not regurgitation, and he'd just had a bath so he'd had a lot to drink).
He went right back to normal afterwards, and he's eating and behaving normally.

Is this something that can happen? He's shown no sign of sickness, so I'm quite sure I just accidentally squeezed him too hard in the wrong place (which I feel awful about) -- but do I need to worry that he's sick?

I'm fairly worried anyway :(

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
If you squeezed him hard enough to make him vomit he may also have internal injuries..I would definitely take him to a n avian vet for a check out.

chickadeecap

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Abby
I definitely handled him the same as I always handle him when I towel him, and this has never happened before.

petiteoiseau

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Bibi
I don't think that pressing on the crop would make a bird vomit... not any kind of normal pressure, anyway. Please keep your eye on him and observe him for any other symptom.

chickadeecap

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Abby
I know that with chickens if you squeeze or massage their crop they vomit (sometimes used to clear out their crop to treat them for sour crop), and that doesn't harm them as far as I know. Surely a parrot crop would behave no different?

He went to the vet a week ago for a check up and was all clear. He's still behaving completely normal as of this evening. I will keep an eye on him.

I know I didn't apply anything more than normal pressure. Maybe he was frightened, he hates having his claws trimmed (no, I've never nicked his veins).

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
It may been just coz he was scared, but watch him anyways,,only you know him. :hug8:

Latency

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Ashley
How did he react when he vomited? (Or was it just like you opened the towel and saw vomit)?
There's two things to look for.. regurgitating and vomiting. They're not the same thing.
Regurgitating as a sign of affection is usually quite controlled, and doesn't look like something that would cause worry. They usually lay the food out on a flat surface/feed the hen/chicks(depending on if they're offering it to YOU or another bird.)
Vomiting, however, looks more violent and uncomfortable and usually the bird shakes his/her head, thus throwing the vomited food EVERYWHERE. (I've experienced it, it isn't fun, it's really gross and scary. :dead: )
The first time my Kiwi vomited I was so worried. I was shaking all the way to the vet. Of course the vet was a dummy (told me that she was a turquoise GCC and acted like the white eared conure was a color mutation of the GCC) so he was no help, but Kiwi was fine by night time. Vomiting isn't a natural thing for parrots so it really takes allot out of their tiny bodies. Thus making them seem fatigued or even lethargic for the following hours.
Just keep an eye on him for the next 24 hours. If he seems lethargic/not eating/drinking/etc like normal, maybe he should see a vet. It is very possible that he was just startled.
Anyways.. like already mentioned, only you know him. We can't tell you that he's acting weird. :)
Sorry for rambling, but that's my experience! Hope everything turns out okay. :)