• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Question about training

Kevin14

Checking out the neighborhood
hello, I’m a fairly new bird owner. I got a sun conure a couple months ago and I’m teaching him to whistle. I repeat it over and over and he never seemed to learn; however, the past few days I realized that he does do it but only when I’m not around. Is that normal? He stays out on my patio and in the morning I hear him doing the whistle I taught him but every time I go outside he goes back to his normal squawking. Does anyone know why this may happen?? Seems odd that he will do it only when I’m not there.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Oh yeah all my birds do this to some degree, but my green cheek conure did it the most. I assume they are practicing lol. Eventually he may reveal it to you :) But mine definitely talk most when they think no one can hear them!

Kevin14

Checking out the neighborhood
Thanks for the reply, it’s kind of a bummer that I have to listen from inside the house. Lol.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Any time you do hear him, give him a reward! Even if he stops, rewarding him can help encourage him to do it more, which may include making the sound when you are around!