• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Question about soy nuts and palm nuts

Status
Not open for further replies.

brittneydee

Jogging around the block
I saw some soy nuts at a local grocery store but I wanted to make sure they are safe before I buy any for Pelphrey, my TAG. I did a search but so far haven't found anything about soy nuts. Does anyone know if they are safe?

Also, what is the appropriate or best size of palm nut for a TAG? I bought some during the SWS for Pelphrey, and he loved it! But once he got the fibers off the outside he couldn't break into the shell to get the inside nut. In fact, I used a nutcracker and couldn't break into it :eek: Is there a special technique, or is he simply too small to be able to fully enjoy these? Is there a smaller or better size palm nut that would be better for him? I can't remember whether I ordered the foxtail or queen palm nuts :rolleyes:

Irina

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Irina
soy nuts are just soy beans which have been soaked and then baked until crisp (some are salted). I know some people are against feeding soy to parrots but others are not, so whether to give soy nuts or not depends on which category you fall into :D

Here in the UK we only get oil palm nuts (those they get palm fruit extract from) and my Digby only eats the fibrous flesh too, that is where most of the goodness is I think.

brittneydee

Jogging around the block
Thanks for the info Irina! I think I'll do a bit more research on soy before I make a decision.

Status
Not open for further replies.