1. Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Question about security

Discussion in 'Service Road' started by camelotshadow, 8/3/19.

1. camelotshadow

camelotshadow Joyriding the Neighborhood Celebirdy of the Month Avenue Veteran

I have been having wifi/ internet problems. Browser has been rejecting unsecure websites & not even showing them. I just noticed the i & warning triangle that the site is not secure...

?????

Just want to be safe from virus & data protection.

Ripshod, Lady Jane and faislaq like this.
  2. faislaq

faislaq I have a macaw and don't post enough photos Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award SUPER HERO

Karen
    Yeah, I noticed that too when I joined. It is a little unnerving. :unsure1:

Ripshod likes this.
  3. Lady Jane

Lady Jane Joyriding the Neighborhood Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran I Can't Stop Posting!

Dianne
    Glad to see you posting again.

faislaq likes this.
  4. Mizzely

Mizzely Joyriding the Neighborhood Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran I Can't Stop Posting! Vendor POSTAHOLIC

Shawna
    Most browsers now will automatically flag any website that is lacking an SSL certificate. If a website starts HTTP vs HTTPS it is lacking this security protocol. Think of the information you send on the internet as a transaction. Http would be like using cash - there is less security with it, easier to be stolen or intercepted, etc. Https is like a credit card, with additional layers of security and protection.

The only thing that https would really protect on this website is your password. That is the only "encrypted" item a hacker can gain from the forum that is useful, unless I suppose you are sharing information in private messages like credit card numbers, etc. A forum isn't usually the target of a hacker anyways because they know this, too. There simply isn't enough reward for the trouble.

Basically don't use the same password here as you do other places.

SSL is also an additional yearly cost.

Zara, Hawk12237 and faislaq like this.
  5. Ripshod

Ripshod Rollerblading along the road

Linden
    You can force SSL by using https:// at the start of the address. The SSL certificate is fine, the warning triangle you get is because you use the http which is not secure.
    The site's higher powers are at work on this. Look forward to automatic redirection to SSL in the future.
    It had me worried a while back, but there's nothing on this site to worry about.

faislaq likes this.
  6. Dona

Dona Rollerblading along the road

Dona
    I always wondered why it said Not Secure

faislaq likes this.
  7. Zara

Zara Biking along the boulevard Celebirdy of the Month Avenue Spotlight Award I Can't Stop Posting! POSTAHOLIC

Zara
    I use a unique password for this site. And I never send any personal info via private messages, no way. So for me, it´s not a big deal :)

Ripshod and faislaq like this.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)