• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Question about my GCC

Osiris63

Moving in
Real Name
Ashley
Hey guys
My GCC Sora is less than a year old and is usually nice to me. He was hand fed before I got him so he warmed up to me nicely. But all of a sudden two nights ago he started being afraid of me. Or more specifically my hands. He was fine all day then suddenly at night he kept fluttering away (when I got him his wings were clipped) when i was trying to get him to step up so I could put him in his cage. He's otherwise healthy and completely fine with my mom and bf. Is this a sign of him starting puberty? He still will step up but he immediately hops onto my shoulder and avoids my hands. He hangs out with me but doesn't let me really pet him anymore. He'll still go to my shoulder or my head but kind of stays on alert. It's a big behavior change all of a sudden.

Any tips you can give me are appreciated.

I have been trying to get him to be comfortable with my hands again by giving him treats and food by hand, which of course he doesn't mind.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Some of our GCC people can answer better than me but my guess is your little bird is growing up and trying to exercise some independence. If he won't step up on your hand you can try a perch. And in the meantime keep trying to hand feed him treats so he knows hands can bring good things. :)

@webchirp ?

Osiris63

Moving in
Real Name
Ashley
He will step up on my hand after a little hesitation. I think it might also be because the other day he kept getting spooked and trying to flutter away to which I instinctively kept catching him before he fell.

Osiris63

Moving in
Real Name
Ashley
I was also thinking that it might be since my mom also feeds him he may be bonding more to her now. But still, to cold shoulder me like that :sad7:

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Any changes in nail polish, jewelry etc?

Osiris63

Moving in
Real Name
Ashley
Negative. Now that it's a few days later I'm fairly sure that hes either going through puberty/hormonal changes? He nibbles at me a bit more, (which he stops if I sternly tell him no) is slightly more vocal, and has been climbing up to sit on my head a lot.
The funny part is through all of this at night when I'm watching TV or on xbox he still comes and snuggles in the collar of my shirt.
What a sour patch bird! First hes sour, then hes sweet! :faint:

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
He will step up on my hand after a little hesitation. I think it might also be because the other day he kept getting spooked and trying to flutter away to which I instinctively kept catching him before he fell.

This could certainly do it.... birds who get spooked and take off flying can easily associate their fear of whatever spooked them with a human who attempts to rescue them. If not in immediate danger, I do not recommend rushing over to them to avoid this fear response.

Keep offering treats by hand, perhaps introduce some target training into the mix, and if he does step up, keep offering those treats for being on your hand!!!