• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Question about my Cockatiel health

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Hope the vitamins and medication help Candy so that she will be 100% soon.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Birds have feather tracts on their body which help to cover up bare areas... so some of what you are seeing might be normal.

Cockatiels are naturally dusty birds, so may sneeze a lot if it's dry and they get a lot of dander in their nostrils. Increasing humidity may help.

There are a lot of medications that humans, dogs, cat and even birds get - however, the concentrations they get varies depending on not only species, but size. *IF* human medication is given to our dogs, cats or birds (rather than using the equivalent geared towards said animals), then it's recommended to go with a medication geared towards kids. Adult strength medications may be too strong.

Sorry though, I don't know about the meds the vets prescribed.

Have you ever tried using this website to search for an avian vet? There might not be any local to you, but it might be worth a shot?

Member Search - Association of Avian Veterinarians

Alireza

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Alireza
Birds have feather tracts on their body which help to cover up bare areas... so some of what you are seeing might be normal.

Cockatiels are naturally dusty birds, so may sneeze a lot if it's dry and they get a lot of dander in their nostrils. Increasing humidity may help.

There are a lot of medications that humans, dogs, cat and even birds get - however, the concentrations they get varies depending on not only species, but size. *IF* human medication is given to our dogs, cats or birds (rather than using the equivalent geared towards said animals), then it's recommended to go with a medication geared towards kids. Adult strength medications may be too strong.

Sorry though, I don't know about the meds the vets prescribed.

Have you ever tried using this website to search for an avian vet? There might not be any local to you, but it might be worth a shot?

Member Search - Association of Avian Veterinarians
Thanks
Yes I have searched before unfortunately there isn’t any vets here. Currently I’m giving Multi Vitamins and Diphenhydramine ( for kids ) to my bird. He hates syringe so I add 3 drop of Multi Vitamins to his water and 1 drop of Diphenhydramine to Cerelac.

Questions :
1. What should I do to broken tail feathers ? Should I cut them ? Or take them off ?
2. Is it good to use Antiseptic spary for his feathers ?

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Broken feathers can be either or... I mean, if they are broken, you can cut them at the break, or leave them be and your bird may eventually take care of them.

Can't answer about the antiseptic spray.

Donna turner

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Donna
I would hesitate to use anticeptic spray on my bird unless a bird vet told me to or the spray had specific instructions that said it's ok for birds. I certainly wouldn't want anticeptic in my mouth and the bird would do that when preening