1. Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  2. This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Question about my Cockatiel health

Discussion in 'Bird Emergency Highway 911' started by Alireza, 11/9/17.

1. Alireza

Alireza Moving in

Alireza
    Hi
    I had some questions about my Cockatiel :

1. Is it normal that there are no feathers on his chest ?
    E3CF16F4-8951-4351-B5FA-32103FC42171.jpeg - آپلود عکس و فایل رایگان
    71526723-0F9E-45C6-A9B2-C3EA0D9B3896.jpeg - آپلود عکس و فایل رایگان

There is a red part on his chest like blood under his skin. Should I be worried ?

On his right wing there is a small area without feathers too.
    5E909713-87CC-43CF-95DC-6A9EA554D271.jpeg - آپلود عکس و فایل رایگان
    947BF9DE-932F-4424-A6EF-115A325C9AAD.jpeg - آپلود عکس و فایل رایگان

2. His tail feathers are broken because he always flies and playes in the house. Should I cut or remove the feathers or just wait for it to fall ? He’s 4-5 months old.

3. Some times sneeze 10-15 times a day. Is it okay ?

2. Sarahmoluccan

Sarahmoluccan Rollerblading along the road Celebirdy of the Month Avenue Spotlight Award I'm a SECRET SANTA - Are you? I Can't Stop Posting!

Sarah
    Hard to say what's going with his feathers but it's definitely not normal. But it's the sneezing that's got me more concerned. Sneezing that much is definitely a sign things are not ok and that it's time to go the vets. Do you know if there is an Avian vet near you? If you can't find an Avian vet a normal vet might be able to help.

I'm sorry to say your bird doesn't sound in good shape at all. Between the feather picking which can be a sign of illness and the sneezing so much which is definitely a sign of illness you should take your bird to a vet. I wish you both well and please keep us updated

iamwhoiam, Alireza and Hankmacaw like this.
  3. Alien J

Alien J Jogging around the block I'm a SECRET SANTA - Are you?

Janet Rush Van Eyck
    I hope your little feathered friend will be okay.

Alireza likes this.
  4. Lady Jane

Lady Jane Cruising the avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran I Can't Stop Posting!

Dianne
    Do you have a vet nearby that will check your bird? Yes, you should be worried.

Alireza likes this.
  5. Hankmacaw

Hankmacaw Biking along the boulevard Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran Santa Coco ROCKS the SOCKS

Mary Lynn Skinner
    I'm sorry that your baby isn't doing well. The lack of feathers is not normal. The wing looks like she is plucking, but the keel is a mystery. With her sneezing as much as she is, I would be worried about an upper respiratory infection or a sinus infection.

If you are having problems finding a vet, we may be able to help you if you will give us the general area that you live in.

iamwhoiam, Alireza and Sarahmoluccan like this.
  6. Alireza

Alireza Moving in

Alireza
    Hi
    Thanks for your help.

He had an accident 3 weeks ago, His beak was broken and bloody but I gave him B Complex Vitamins and took care of him very good. His beak is healed and okay now. When the accident happened he was under heavy stress and he lost some small feathers about 10-15.

I went to 2 different vets but here, vets are not bird experts they usually visit dogs and cats.
    One of them told me to give him Multi Vitamin and human Diphenhydramine. ( Is it okay to give him human medicine? ) If nothing happened and he still had the problem, they should take some exams.

About his sneezing, He usually do that when he is cleaning his nose. Sometimes less than 10 sometimes more ...
    Also there is no extra mucus in his nose and his eyelids are not red.

7. Hankmacaw

Hankmacaw Biking along the boulevard Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran Santa Coco ROCKS the SOCKS

Mary Lynn Skinner
    What is your bird's diet? I ask, because it is easy to overdose a bird on the nonsoluable vitamins. If their diet is good there should be no reason to supplement with vitamins.

Diphenhydramine is Benadryl and can be given to parrots, but you must not give too much - be careful not to overdose. My vet allows 1/2 ml for a 1,000 gm bird. If you can buy baby Benadryl, it will make it much easier to dose.

The accident 3 weeks ago may explain the obvious bruised appearance of his keel bone. Did he fall on his keel bone? He may need a pain medication such as Metacam. Bruised keel bones take quite a long time to heal and hurt a lot. The other possibility is a ruptured airsac.

If your bird has an infection in the lung or airsacs causing the sneezing you would not necessarily have any wetness around the nostrils. A vet should take mouth and anal swabs and check for bacteria or fungus. Also a Complete Blood Count would be appropriate to check for a High white cell count and several other helpful values.

8. iamwhoiam

iamwhoiam Cruising the avenue Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Veteran

Hope your bird will be OK. Did the vets do any blood work or take a culture? Perhaps if you let us know your approximate location someone can recommend a vet.

9. Princessbella

Princessbella Rollerblading along the road Santa Coco ROCKS the SOCKS I'm a SECRET SANTA - Are you? I Can't Stop Posting!

Theresa
    Also the sneezing can be the result of a respiratory infection that may need an antibiotic called Baytril.

10. Alireza

Alireza Moving in

Alireza
    I taught he is plucking his feathers but he is always with me I never saw him doing that. Also there is no feather in his cage. How long does it takes for a feather to grow back ? I think some feathers are growing back.

Attached Files:

11. Alireza

Alireza Moving in

Alireza
    No. But they said if giving him Multi Vitamins for 1-2 week didn’t help, they will take blood sample.

12. iamwhoiam

iamwhoiam Cruising the avenue Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Veteran

If he is sneezing a lot and there are other issues it may be best to have them do a more thorough exam soon and not wait 1-2 wks to do the blood work. What did the vet do? What did the examination consist of?

Sarahmoluccan, Alireza and Hankmacaw like this.
  13. Alireza

Alireza Moving in

Alireza
    Thanks
    Mostly Millet and sometimes Lettuce, Apple, Eggshell powder on his Millet and I put a Cuttlebone in his cage.

14. Alireza

Alireza Moving in

Alireza
    Is 10 a lot ?
    He gave Multi Vitamins, Diphenhydramine and birds Disinfectant spray yesterday. Like the photo I attached 3-4 feathers are growing back. He said wait to see if these medicines help. If they didn’t work, They will take a blood sample and a sample of his skin to look for virus or other infection.

15. Hankmacaw

Mary Lynn Skinner
    Your baby's diet could be improved. Millet should only be used for treats and training. A diet of all or mostly seed can cause vitamin deficiency - most importantly vitamin A deficiency. Here is an article about Vit A deficiency and how to combat it. Vitamin A Deficiency in Birds | petMD

If you can switch your bird to good pellet as a base diet and supplement daily with vegetable (Romaine lettuce, spinach, kale, sweet potatoes, carrots) and fruits, your bird will never have to contend with a vitamin deficiency. Keep a cuttlebone or mineral bone in the cage for calcium and he should get 15 minutes of unfiltered sunshine 3/4 times a week for D-3 so he can process the calcium.

Sarahmoluccan likes this.
  16. Tiel Feathers

Tiel Feathers Biking along the boulevard Avenue Spotlight Award I'm a SECRET SANTA - Are you? I Can't Stop Posting!

Deanna
    I'm sorry your bird isn't doing well. In addition to the advice already mentioned, try to keep him very warm. I hope he will be okay!

17. Alireza

Alireza Moving in

Alireza
    Hi again
    Thank you all for your answers I will share them with vets next time.
    This is what they gave me for his feathers :
    image.jpg - آپلود عکس و فایل رایگان

Just one thing he just said give him 2-3 drop every 6 hours. ( Both Multi Vitamins and Diphenhydramine )
    Should I add it to my Cockatiel’s Drinking water or give it to him directly ?
    On the box, it says add 1 ml of Multi Vitamins to 800 or 1000 ml water ...

18. Hankmacaw

Mary Lynn Skinner
    It depends whether your bird takes medications from a syringe well or not. Giving them medications in water is kind of iffy. If they drink or don't drink or drink too much - it's a long shot. But in the water is better than nothing, if he puts up too much of a fight with a syringe.

What's your baby's name.

iamwhoiam likes this.
  19. Alireza

Alireza Moving in

Alireza
    Candy :D

Tiel Feathers likes this.
  20. Hankmacaw

Mary Lynn Skinner
    Hi Candy. Do like your Mom says and get well.

Tiel Feathers, Alireza and iamwhoiam like this.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)