• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Question about maybe adding another bird....

stepbill

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Bill
I have a CAG and have had him for 11 years. He has never really played with toys but does talk up a storm. He has a good appetite and does not pluck. I'm just wondering if I got a second bird and cage, possibly a Senegal, to keep him company if he would be happier?

PeppysPal

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Allie
I think if your little one sounds quite happy already but if you're worried he's lonely I'd get another grey over anything. Sennies are much smaller and I just don't see a sennie and a grey being best buds. I'm not the best educated though, but I'm sure others will share their experiences :)

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Another bird will always be company for another bird. Whether the two birds actually get along is something you can't predict. :)

Peppo

Sprinting down the street
Why do you think he is unhappy?

stepbill

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Bill
Why do you think he is unhappy?
I guess because he just sits in his cage and does not play with his toys. I have changed them out trying a lot of different types but it is still the same. He does come out of the cage sometimes and sits on a perch on the side of the cage but that's about it. I leave the TV on when I'm not in the room but I just feel that maybe having another pet to watch may keep him happier..... We used to have a bunny in the same room that ran around but my son ended up moving out and took him.

Peppo

That's funny, Paco's sister is a bunny, Pepper, who lives in the livingroom too. Do you play with him? How do you interact with him? He may need you more than anything else.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
I guess because he just sits in his cage and does not play with his toys. I have changed them out trying a lot of different types but it is still the same. He does come out of the cage sometimes and sits on a perch on the side of the cage but that's about it. I leave the TV on when I'm not in the room but I just feel that maybe having another pet to watch may keep him happier..... We used to have a bunny in the same room that ran around but my son ended up moving out and took him.
Do you actively play and "engage" with him? If not why not? Toys are just stuff and to a bird that smart they are even less stimulus for that reason alone. Interaction. Communication. Engagement with you (others) is what they need/want. A solitary bird depends on you a huge amount more to fulfill its needs because you are the center of its universe and that's a task most humans don't fill well. Any other companions expands their world whether they get along or not.

kksdad

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Chris
I agree that you should actively play with your Grey. I have a couple of games that I play with Afie. In the one that is probably her favorite, I hand her and object and when she drops it I try to catch it before it hits the floor. As the game progresses she tries a variety of different tactics to try and prevent me from catching it. For example, holding on to the object a long time before she drops it, moving her head side to side and then dropping, or it or dropping it immediately after I hand it to her. If I catch it she will sometimes say "oh" in a disappointed voice and if it hits the floor she will sometimes give an evil sounding little laugh.

atomicfriday

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Shannon
Do you ever take him in his cage outside? Mine is kind of a "perch potato" but I've noticed when I wheel him out into the sunshine he immediately perks up and is more active. He engages with his toys more and overall gets an energy boost!