• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

question about keeping budgies quiet.

Sasha2

Moving in
Real Name
Celia
I really really want to get a pair of budgies. I have a huge cage already. My biggest concern is my dh has a chronic illness that makes him take naps on most days. The room I would keep the budgies in is right across the hall from the bedroom. I would need to keep the budgies quiet on these occasions..We do have a noisy air cleaner that will absorb some ambient noises. Would it be a bad thing for me to cover the cage for a few hours a couple times a week? THX

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
In my experience with budgies when the room they are in is quiet they are mostly quiet too. If you are talking, watching TV, playing music or other noises they will be chirping loudly. Its sort of like a competition - if your are noisy I will be too! How about some ear plugs?

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Would it be a bad thing for me to cover the cage for a few hours a couple times a week?
Yes for a number of reasons. It doesn't matter what you really really want if you can't provide what they need. There's no guarantee they will be quiet even if you do cover them up. Daylight/photoperiod is a very important thing in a birds life. Screwing around with their light cycle is going to cause problems.

Give your DH a nice pair of custom earplugs. Don't try and bend the birds.

Dona

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I love my white noise machine when I sleep. I don't hear a thing.

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Budgies is not for you. They can be noisy and loud.
Have you consider Bourke parrot's?
Very cute, small and silent birds.

D

Deleted member 29421

One of the things I love about budgies is the noise. I love to hear their chattering and gossip and the occasional argument. Its just like living with a bunch of Italians......Dont get budgies of you have a problem with noise.

LSA

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Leslie
Its sort of like a competition - if your are noisy I will be too!
My budgies must be competing with each other then. :hehe: Although they're QUIET and CONSTANT chitter chatter is supposed to be soothing, mine are always finding ways to make noise, whether it just be constant chirping, flapping or toy-banging contests.

Something else to consider is their dust. :marievacuums: Mine are surprisingly dusty and that might be a problem for your chronically ill DH. Mine lived separated from my other birds until my air filter came in.

I love my white noise machine when I sleep. I don't hear a thing.
This just might be the thing for you! I have an air filter for the dust, but it doesn't work as "white noise."

Last edited:

Sasha2

Moving in
Real Name
Celia
I never said I had a problem with the noise. That is one of the reason I love budgies. I was just wondering if a few hours a week I could cover them while my dh took a nap. I have a greencheek that Ive had for 10 years now, she is pretty quiet most the time but doesnt play with toys or chatter like budgies. There are some budgies at the local petstore that have been there for almost two years in a cage the size of ten gallon tank. I was thinking of getting them.

We have one of those Austin Air cleaners, its about as loud as a train.

Feather

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Needing to cover the birds during the day just to shut them up is a problem with the noise. If ear plugs won't work and DH can't nap through a budgie's chatter, then don't get them.

Sylvester

Hit the Road
If you get two they will be chattering back and forth to one another,...loudly.

Reactions: LSA

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
If you get budgies that have been caged in a pet store for that long you are asking for problems. First they are a wild flock and will remain wild. They will be flock calling and that means noise.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I think it would be unfair to the birds to do that to them, they are living beings not a radio that can be turned off for convenience sake, it could also possibly be quite confusing for them not to mention depressing. I think it would be easier and fairer to close the bedroom door while people are napping in the middle of the day so the noise is blocked out or use ear plugs (although I do not find two budgies loud at all).........I have family members who snore louder than two budgies could ever be :hehe:

Hope you can find a place in your home to put them where they will not end up being hidden from the daylight hours :)

Sasha2

Moving in
Real Name
Celia
I am still trying to figure this out. I could put them upstairs but I rarely go up there(my 17yr old sons room is up there but he is gone all day). Or I could get a smaller cage that can be moved around. I could get another greencheek but my girl would be so so jealous I couldnt do that to her. Maybe finches, that would be a huge cage for finches.

Linearis

Walking the driveway
Earplugs and white noise machine seem like best bet... if they were hand-tame and could be moved around easily then you could always give them a second smaller cage upstairs and move them there temporarily (as long as there are toys and stuff in there). You could put treats in second cage so they look forward to it. But yeah if they're not tame it's going to be difficult and stressful to do that all the time and they probably won't enjoy it.

Parakeet88

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
If you really want another bird(s) I’d go with bourkes for you situation. I have two keets, I can nap in the same room as them but I work night shift so I can sleep through anything lol they can get louder than my GCC screaming sometimes. Parakeets make nearly constant noise even if it’s not always super loud. My bourkes are nearly silent and when they do chirp it’s super adorable and quiet. They’re beautiful birds and pretty much require the same care as parakeets. Seriously find some videos of bourkes chirping, they’re so cute!