1. Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Question about comfort feedings... Is this normal?

Discussion in 'Nursery Rhyme Drive' started by HolliDaze, 5/15/18.

1. HolliDaze

HolliDaze Jogging around the block

Machelle
    so Dex turned 1 last month. He's still taking comfort feedings, which I attribute to his regression at 6-7 months, where he completely refused adult food and reverted back to 3 hand feedings a day.
    my concern is with his behavior during the feedings. He'll beg, but although he gets excited when he sees the syringe, after just a little bit of food, he decides he's done. He won't let me hold his head (which I don't believe he likes, I allow enough space for him to bob, but he has a tendency to move his head back while feeding) and after a small amount, it starts to dribble out of his beak, despite bobbing. After tha t, he's done.
    Am I doing something wrong? He had no issue with this as a baby. Maybe this is normal? I guess since he just want s it for the co mfort, even a tablespoon would be enough for him. Hes more independent and isn't going to just let me do whatever like when he was a baby.
    It's not like he's going to starve. He eats plenty of adult food, this is just a comfort feeding. However, if I can make it more enjoyable for him, I'd like to. He doesn't seem distressed after all of it, he's grinding his beak now. Other than not wanting my hands anywhere near his head, he's content.
    I've never hand fed before, but i think I did OK. No burnt or slow crops. No aspiration. I haven't found any info info on comfort feedings other than to do them until he stops asking. Nothing on the usual amount or anything.
    As usual, I'm hoping I didn't do anything wrong, and it's normal for him to only want a little. I'm asking because I'm not sure, and want to be sure. I'd rather ask and be told it's fine than hope I'm doing the right thing.
    Cockatoos are fragile (emotionally at least) and though it was silly of me to get him nearly a year ago (as of the first of june!) i'd like to think I'm doing well for him Considering and will continue to do so. If that means constantly asking silly questions, so be it! Like many of the other 'too parents say, I'll never be truly prepared... nor will I ever know anything, how ever I'd like to suck in as much info as possible.

saroj12 likes this.
  2. JLcribber

JLcribber Joyriding the Neighborhood Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran Shutterbugs' Best

John
    Tika is 24 years old and still gets comfort feedings from his favourite spoon. There couldn't be a more trust building, bonding activity.

Switch to feeding healthy stuff on a spoon. Although it sure is nice if a bird will accept a syringe because there will be a time when that might be needed (meds).

3. Mizzely

Mizzely Joyriding the Neighborhood Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran Vendor I Can't Stop Posting! BINGO CHAMPION

Shawna
    I think its normal :)

4. rocky'smom

rocky'smom Cruising the avenue Avenue Spotlight Award

laurie
    Doesn't surprise me at all, @JLcribber , John's right much easier of the need ever comes up.

5. Big Blues

Big Blues Rollerblading along the road Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran

Comfort feedings are normal with any baby transition to a new home during or after weaning. Our Mango, BTM was 5 months old when the came into our home thought weaned and we quickly found out he he wanted handfeeding at that time until he was 10 months old. It became a bonding time for us and he is now a beautiful, well adjusted sweet bird.

JLcribber likes this.
  6. melissasparrots

melissasparrots Rollerblading along the road Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran

You said he's one year old? Giving comfort feedings to a one year old seems a little bit past when they would normally stop. Granted, just a tablespoon probably isn't a problem. Personally, I'd transition him to a tablespoon of warm mashy sweet potatoes mixed with some cooked rice, quinoa, beans and a mashed banana mixed in. Most of my babies transition to that toward the end of weaning. They eat it on their own out of a bowl, so I don't have birds that feel like they need a comfort feeding from a spoon or syringe. I don't think what you are currently doing is harmful, but I think you could probably stop now. If he begs, try the warm mashy veggies. Start with him eating it off a spoon if necessary, then put the spoon in a bowl and see if he'll eat it on his own. If he doesn't like it, hand him an almond and walk away.

BTW, cockatoos are only emotionally fragile if you treat them as if they were emotionally fragile.

Just-passn-thru and Shezbug like this.
  7. BirdManDan

BirdManDan Rollerblading along the road Vendor

Dan
    I agree with @melissasparrots! You shouldn't have to go past a year for comfort feedings! Instead of doing a comfort feeding try doing a nice chop!

8. macawpower58

macawpower58 Biking along the boulevard Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran Shutterbugs' Best

I'd not say normal, but not unheard of either. Is he begging? or just happy to accept?

Try weaning to a spoon. This way, he gets warm happy feedings, you do away with the 'baby' stuff.
    I'm assuming he's not still taking formula? If he is still taking it, I'd get him off the formula. Once again a spoon is perfect for that.
    Warm oatmeal, scrambled eggs, mashed sweet potato. Great for comfort feeds, easy with a spoon.
    I used to use a large plastic tablespoon when my macaw was weaning. The material must have been closer to the syringe. He hated metal spoons.

Two of mine still love warm soft food. They also do a 'baby bob' while eating it.

9. HolliDaze

HolliDaze Jogging around the block

Machelle
    He's begging. My way of justifying it is that he regressed back to only hand feedings at 6 months. It's not a daily thing, once every 4 days to a week. I give him blended up veggie mix.

10. aooratrix

aooratrix Macawaholic Super Moderator Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran

Matthew
    Assuming he's passed a comprehensive vet check, I see nothing wrong with it. Katy McElroy, a renowned cockatoo breeder, documented the actions/behaviors of a Moluccan, Sadie, that was parent-reared. Even at a year and older, she would solicit feedings here and there. And she got them.

Baby birds in the wild don't go hungry. And if your bird wants the security and love of some feedings, do it. We can be too rigid about handfeeding and weaning, IMO. As long as he's maintaining weight and is healthy, it's a social need on his part. He may be going through a rough patch or window of insecurity. Insecure birds often develop issues like plucking, neurotic screaming, etc. JMO.

JLcribber and macawpower58 like this.
  11. macawpower58

macawpower58 Biking along the boulevard Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran Shutterbugs' Best

Too me, some handfeeding is fine. With Toos though you have to watch they're not becoming too dependent on you.

Toos are the masters of manipulation, and will milk things forever if you let them.

So wean....but gently. :)

aooratrix and JLcribber like this.
  12. JLcribber

JLcribber Joyriding the Neighborhood Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran Shutterbugs' Best

John

I think this is the story you are referring to?

Weaning Sadie

aooratrix likes this.
  13. JLcribber

John
    Another good read.

14. EllaMay

EllaMay Rollerblading along the road Celebirdy of the Month

April
    Ella is feed by spoon at times for dinner, mostly when she refuses to eat her fresh food for dinner. I take a disposable wooden spoon and feed her, she loves it, hence why I think at times she refuses to eat on her own because she wants me to feed her. She gets the spoon afterward when we are done for her to destroy.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)