• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Question about cockatoos

Lydia Deetz

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Lydia
I’ve heard that there is no such thing as a “starter bird” but that cockatoos should never be your first bird. What does one do if their dream bird is a cockatoo?

EkkieLu

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
A cockatiel is a Too and very beautiful!

@JLcribber John, you have some advice???

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Have you spent a lot of time with different cockatoos, or know anybody with one? Is there a rescue you can volunteer with that has cockatoos? I would read the various threads on here about cockatoos and the hardships that are frequently encountered by their humans.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Volunteer at rescues, get cockatoo experience and do your research.

There is no such thing as a species designated to be a first bird
All species have a level of difficulty and research should be done.

When it comes to cockatoos and other large species it is highly suggested to go visit a cockatoo/macaw/parrot sanctuary to gain lots of experience.

It's like any other big animal. You wouldn't just go buy a horse. Or a monkey. Or any of the other hard to keep species with limited experience and expect success?

Sometimes it works out for those lucky people who jump in with no experience or knowledge but for most it is not feasible or realistic .

Lydia Deetz

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Lydia

When it comes to cockatoos and other large species it is highly suggested to go visit a cockatoo/macaw/parrot sanctuary to gain lots of experience.

It's like any other big animal. You wouldn't just go buy a horse. Or a monkey. Or any of the other hard to keep species with limited experience and expect success?

Sometimes it works out for those lucky people who jump in with no experience or knowledge but for most it is not feasible or realistic .
I may not have ever had a bird (and I’m not getting one for a while; just gathering research) but I do have plenty of experience owning horses!

Fia Baby

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Beth
I think you should learn everything you can about the species you want, from many different sources. Some breeders are honest, but many sugar-coat bird ownership in general. Check out some other the other forums on the internet, and look at the facebook pages as well. Pay close attention to the negatives - cockatoos are great on their good days, but nothing is ever all good or easy. Personally, I think you should get the one you have your heart set on (if it remains set on cockatoos after your learn about them and visit some) rather than get something else as a stepping stone. Do you have other animal experience?

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I'm not a believer in "starter" birds as all birds are important. I think everyone should start with the bird they want- provided they have done the research and know what they're getting into. Rescues are a great way to learn and work with birds. I actually fostered my cockatoo before I adopted him. It sort of gives you an idea of what you're getting into. I say sort of because there's a honeymoon period typically where birds are super good. Plus, then there's also spring hormones, etc. But I guess the question is why is a cockatoo your dream bird? Yes, they are cute and smart and fun, but they're not easy. You just need to have realistic expectations of what you're getting yourself into.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Cockatoos are one of what I call the "Big Four" species...Cockatoo, Amazon, Macaw, and African Grey. You're jumping in the deep end of the pool with these species, so you better know how to swim.

Now, it is true you can be successful having one of these species in your home, but you definitely want as much knowledge on how to care for them as possible.
...spot on. I had "bird experience" for almost 20 years before I brought our first 'too into our home...and what an eye opening experience that was, to tell you the truth!
But I guess the question is why is a cockatoo your dream bird? Yes, they are cute and smart and fun, but they're not easy.
...again, spot on. When you bring a 'too into your life, buckle yourself in, and get ready for a wild ride...

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
...one more thing...when we do pet therapy visits with Milton (you can read about Milty in "Cockatoo Causeway" here) I always leave with this last thought..."A Cockatoo has the intelligence of a five year old human, the temperament of a two year old, with a can opener on their face...for 50 years."

Sums it up nicely, don't you think?

Lydia Deetz

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Lydia
I'm not a believer in "starter" birds as all birds are important. I think everyone should start with the bird they want- provided they have done the research and know what they're getting into. Rescues are a great way to learn and work with birds. I actually fostered my cockatoo before I adopted him. It sort of gives you an idea of what you're getting into. I say sort of because there's a honeymoon period typically where birds are super good. Plus, then there's also spring hormones, etc. But I guess the question is why is a cockatoo your dream bird? Yes, they are cute and smart and fun, but they're not easy. You just need to have realistic expectations of what you're getting yourself into.
Cockatoos are appealing to me because I want something that is different. I want something that’s gonna be a lifelong best friend and something I have to work for. I’m open to the idea that they might not be right for me but I’m just gonna have to see where life takes me and what my learning experiences show me

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
All birds will make you work for their friendship. I have the calmest, most chill bird in the world. She's never bitten, she signals EXTREMELY clearly when she's grumpy or doesn't want to be touched, she's totally happy to sit next to me and shred a toy while I work, if she asks for a headscratch it's because she wants a headscratch and not because she wants to nail me. She's an absolute love. I still ask her if she wants to be touched (and listen to her when she says "no"), she still tells me not to touch her anywhere but her head and neck, she still has days when she doesn't want my hands in her cage and she'll puff up, she will still warning lunge with her beak out like an angry dinosaur.

You can never take any parrot for granted. Even the sweetest, most calm bird will have boundaries that it will communicate to you if you learn to listen. You will not be able to take liberties with them. You will constantly be negotiating a relationship and listening to your companion. This goes for the smallest budgie to the largest macaw.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Cockatoos are appealing to me because I want something that is different. I want something that’s gonna be a lifelong best friend and something I have to work for. I’m open to the idea that they might not be right for me but I’m just gonna have to see where life takes me and what my learning experiences show me
It's definitely good to do your research ahead of time. And as suggested, if you can, volunteer at a rescue. There are so many cockatoos out there in need of good homes because they are tough birds to have and because they live so long. So often when a fortunate 'too has a great home, he loses it because he's outlived his owner. So part of me is always excited when someone wants to adopt a cockatoo because there are so many in need but then the other part of me worries if the person is prepared to handle a 'too. Even at our rescue where we try to prepare people, we still get birds returned to us. (Which is actually better than them being left in an unhappy home....)

AmyJas

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Amy
As others suggested, I would advise either spending a lot of time with some rescues or consider a cockatiel. Cockatiels can also be quite attached and affectionate toward people, but a lot easier for a "beginner." However, all birds require a lot of research, commitment and special care. And of course, you should only end up getting a cockatiel if you are totally committed and enthusiastic about the decision and not just as a starter for a cockatoo.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
I was gonna say stand in front of a screaming cockatoo for a couple of hours and see what nerves you have left... but all the others gave better answers than I would have. :D

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
What does one do if their dream bird is a cockatoo?
Stop dreaming because dreams are a "vision". What you need is "reality". As Mercedez suggested. Go and get your hands dirty at a rescue and volunteer. You get exposure without making a huge commitment (and regret). It will become self evident whether you're cut out to look after a big bird or not.

Tanya

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Tanya
There is some crossover between big parrots and horses. Among these are the importance of paying attention to body language, the prey mindset, finding comfort in the calm of a flock/herd, vet bills are never cheap and there is alway a possibility of sustaining real and permanent physical harm from a bad interaction. Gentling a skittish horse has a fundamental similarities to connecting with a parrot: the need to build trust over time in slow and steady increments.

That said, there are differences as well. Parrot behavioral problems can be so deep seated as to be almost irreversible, sometimes taking the form of self-mutilation or hours of ear-shattering screeching. Because most cockatoos live in large flocks, the psychological strain of isolation can be unendurable. Many truly need interaction almost every waking moment and when we can't do that, because we work or go to school or need to pick up groceries, they suffer for it. It's easy to spend all that time with a sweet, pliable baby 'too. Once they hit sexual maturity and suddenly have OPINIONS it becomes much more complicated.
Having more than one -- especially for big 'toos -- can help. But then you will have to worry more about hormones and fake eggs and lots of other complicated and not so nice issues. Either way you're signing up for a huge committment of time, money and other resources.

Last edited:

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
There is some crossover between big parrots and horses. Among these are the importance of paying attention to body language, the prey mindset, finding comfort in the calm of a flock/herd, vet bills are never cheap and there is alway a possibility of sustaining real and permanent physical harm from a bad interaction. Gentling a skittish horse has a fundamental similarities to connecting with a parrot: the need to build trust over time in slow and steady increments.

That said, there are differences as well. Parrot behavioral problems can be so deep seated as to be almost irreversible, sometimes taking the form of self-mutilation or hours of ear-shattering screeching. Because most cockatoos live in large flocks, the psychological strain of isolation can be unendurable. Many truly need interaction almost every waking moment and when we can't do that, because we work or go to school or need to pick up groceries, they suffer for it. It's easy to spend all that time with a sweet, pliable baby 'too. Once they hit sexual maturity and suddenly have OPINIONS it becomes much more complicated.
Having more than one -- especially for big 'toos -- can help. But then you will have to worry more about hormones and fake eggs and lots of other complicated and not so nice issues. Either way you're signing up for a huge committment of time, money and other resources.
Very well said.

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
My first was a Goffin Too. She's now over 23 years old.

I was lucky in that I had a home, and was old enough to support her in health, toys, housing, and her demands for attention.
I am also one of those crazy people that arrange their lives around their animals.

Cockatoos are demanding to a degree you'll not understand until you meet some. More interactive than any other pet. Think toddler for life.
Their are very few teens/young adults that can successfully keep a Too for life.
Their needs are more intense than most young people still making a life can provide.

Their unhappiness can end in feather destruction and/or mutilation of themselves.
Sometimes even happy Too's will do this and it's heartbreaking for the owner who loves their bird.

It's not decision to make lightly. They will rule your life.

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
I am a firm supporter in the idea that you should truly get the bird you have your heart set on or you will always want that bird and no other bird will do. Having said that, there are a lot of different species out there and you should definitely do your research to figure out which one will fit into your life the best. My first bird as an adult was a Timneh grey and he's still with me. I can honestly say that greys are my favorite species but I have greys, Amazons, Cockatoos, and Ekkies, and a few chickens and a cage full of Linnies as well. Your best bet is to find a rescue and start volunteering and see what species you seem to be drawn to or maybe if a specific bird chooses you. All birds are going to change your life and can really change the way you view life, from the smallest to the largest. Cockatoos are a special kind of bird who are incredibly needy and are incredibly loud for the most part. Depending on how much you are willing to spend and how far you are willing to look, there are a few that work better than others. Some are incredibly overlooked and seem to make better companions than others. I have a female Slender Billed Cockatoo who is amazing and so far, she's proving to be a much better companion than your regular U2 or M2. I'm constantly wondering why they aren't more popular but I'm sure it boils down to looks. We also have a wild caught male who is amazing although he's a bit louder and pushier. I honestly cannot say enough wonderful things about the greys though and have an incredibly special little girl who came to us as a rehome two years ago. I have some really great female Amazons who can charm the pants off you too and two of the sweetest Eclectus you could ever ask for. Yep, rescues are great for getting to know a lot of different species and to figure out what might work best for you. Cockatoos can be over-rated sometimes but they do have their charms...and their temper tantrums and their screaming and their dust and their childlike behavior...