• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Question about cleaning birdroom

TheOddFlock

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Melissa
It's Labor day weekend and that means three days of cleaning in this house. So I have to clean the birdroom, there are lots of spiders in the corners and above the doors so I planned to move the cages into a different room so I can spray it, although I don't want to do that if i can't safely put them back in that room eventually. I came here to ask if I could spray the room (with windows open) and move the birds back in that after a couple days (or longer?)

I just want my birds to be safe, and it never hurts to ask. The spray I plan to use is Raid, house and garden. I want to use it to kill the spiders that are out of my reach and step on the ones that are near the floor, and not go near the ones that just sit there near door frames/window frames or at corners near tables/counters.

Can I use this spray if i move the birds out of the room? If so how long do i wait until i can move them back in? If not, any recommendations on bird safe spider killers?

Jas

Real Name
Jasmine
As much as I hate spiders I don't like killing them because they are very beneficial for the environment. Plus we are creating a selectively new species of spiders by killing certain ones.

Anyway spiders fear vibrations (they are very sensitive to them and that's how they feel the world) so a busy room that is usually disturbed will Keep the away. I hoover everyday and get behind things and up high, scares them off. Plus spiders aren't a sign of dirtyness or a danger (unless venomus).

I've never used raid before or any bug killer so. I can't be any help. Though I'd assume anything that will be eaten or eaten of off will need to be removed.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
I don't know but I would like to find out so I will watch this thread :)
I have recently seen a few white tail spiders in my house and a fair few red backs just out side my front door. I worry about them getting at my bird as I have heard stories about spiders making themselves at home under the feathers of chickens, I always worry about the dogs too as they feel the need to eat as many creepy crawlies as they can find for some reason. The cat just seems to watch them.

TheOddFlock

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Melissa
As much as I hate spiders I don't like killing them because they are very beneficial for the environment. Plus we are creating a selectively new species of spiders by killing certain ones.

Anyway spiders fear vibrations (they are very sensitive to them and that's how they feel the world) so a busy room that is usually disturbed will Keep the away. I hoover everyday and get behind things and up high, scares them off. Plus spiders aren't a sign of dirtyness or a danger (unless venomus).

I've never used raid before or any bug killer so. I can't be any help. Though I'd assume anything that will be eaten or eaten of off will need to be removed.

Spiders are just creepy, they came in here during a heat wave at the beginning of August. I'm only now getting rid of them because it's time to clean and I kept putting it off.
The spiders are commonly referred to as Cellar spiders, they aren't venomous.

Jas

Real Name
Jasmine
I agree they are creepy

Thats one good thing then least no one will get ill.

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sadie
Raid is nasty stuff, looking at the label. Definitely not something you want in your house or near your birds.

I'd probably take a broom (or one of those small brushes that come with dustpans) and try brush them in to a trash bin and release them outside.

nu2birds

Real Name
Kurt
I would not use pesticide in a room that you want to move your birds back into. Just clean the room and when you come upon spiders put them in a mason jar and dump them outside. It's getting to be fall so more spiders are going to be coming inside, you are going to see more of them in the house.

MommyBird

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Debbie
do you have a vacuum cleaner with an extension cleaning hose/tube? That has a long reach and insects don't run from it as quickly as your hand.

TheOddFlock

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Melissa
Raid is nasty stuff, looking at the label. Definitely not something you want in your house or near your birds.

I'd probably take a broom (or one of those small brushes that come with dustpans) and try brush them in to a trash bin and release them outside.
I wouldn't use a broom, they might crawl up the broom and onto my hand.

The small brush is even worse, less distance between me and the spider. Also it's small and I'm short, it might not reach.

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
I wouldn't use a broom, they might crawl up the broom and onto my hand.
That is because you killed them. They know... :smuggrin:

I'm not afraid of spiders, (in fact I like them so much so I give them water) they are free to live in my house as long as they are not near my bed.
If they are near my bed I let them out, but I can tell you that they don't like to be on us at all. They are terrified of us, and I always try to catch them in my hands, but if often ended up with me getting a box instead.

So sad that you must killed them when you can release them. This planet is not just ours, everyone has the right to live, and we need our spiders.

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Spiders are just as valuable to the world as larger animals, but most people don’t realize it.

Many spiders are becoming endangered and are disappearing due to loss of habitat (home).

Spiders are vital to a healthy ecosystem. They eat harmful insects, pollinate plants, and recycle dead animal and plants back into the earth. They are also a valuable food source for many small mammals, birds, and fish.

Spiders eat more insects than birds and bats combined.