• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Question about cages+safety

RamenNoodles

Moving in
Real Name
Nhu-Y
I have a nice, big bird cage with 3/4 bar spacing. I have two budgies, which require at most a 1/2 bar spacing. Is there a way for me to either add bars or to budgie proof this cage? Is mesh an option? If so, how would I do that? I'd really like to use this cage. Thanks in advance.

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Bump

Milo

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jenny
They make stainless steel mesh so that would be an option... attach it from the inside so no one is tempted to get stuck in the bars. However, I would really recommend just getting a cage with appropriate bar spacing. It'll be much less of a hassle for you!

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I agree with Milo. When it comes to bar spacing there are not many short cuts.

RamenNoodles

Moving in
Real Name
Nhu-Y
This sounds really impractical, but a nurse at my avian vet recommended me just add in new bars in between the existing ones. This would halve the bar space. I'm not sure how I'd do this, but I'm willing to. I'm not sure what kind of bars to use and where'd I find them and how I'd attach them to the cage, since glue is toxic to birds. A lady at the vet jokingly said to use chopsticks, but I don't know if that would work. What do you guys think?

Milo

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jenny
I still think that with the time/effort/money you're going to put into modifying this cage with things that have questionable safety for your bird, simply investigating an alternative cage that has proper bar spacing is your best option.

Glue would not be super secure for new bars, and I wouldn't use any metal that's not stainless steel and have someone weld them in place. Your bird would be able to get through a chop stick and if that happened while you were gone and they tried to get out there's a great potential for harm.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
It doesn't really matter what you like. It's not an appropriate cage.

Your only option is to cover it with mesh and it needs to be done very well. No gaps. No sharp edges. Fitted very well.

The mesh will cost as much as a new cage.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I noticed the prices on new cages in U.S. seem to be lower than a few months ago.