• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Question about cage layout, toys, boredom

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
I have read that you are supposed to change the layout inside of the cage if your female gets nesty, or lays eggs, but what about just as a normal everyday thing?

I mean, I would think it would give them comfort to have their boings, rope perches, favorite toys in the same place where they are familiar with the placement. Maybe I think this because I am older now and these are the things that give me security and safety?

If any of you change the toys, perches, etc. around to alleviate boredom, etc. how often do you do that please? And do you take favorite toys away or just toys that they are not playing with as much?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
It really depends on the bird and how much they like change!

I do "musical chairs" - I set up the toys and then I sort of move them around the cage into another toy's position after a week or two. I remove one toy and add another one into the rotation. So each toy really stays in the cage for several weeks, sometimes 2 months, but is moved to other positions. Sometimes location is important and a toy that is ignored suddenly is the new favorite! But every bird is different!

As for perches, I do tinker with them if they are getting pooped on, etc, but otherwise I tend to keep perch placement pretty much the same. However, I do swap out perches as they become dirty or chewed.

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
I'm much the same. Birds like their perches where they were yesterday. That fight or flight response depends on the bird knowing where the perches are rather than looking for them. The only time I'd move perches is if I'm introducing a new bird. Makes it new (neutral) territory for both birds and so reduces the chance of possessiveness. I use this rule for food and water too.
Toys? I'll change a few each day, in rotation, to stop boredom. Don't tell my budgies but it's really about placing treats in the toys for their foraging without them seeing. Ssssssh.

taxidermynerd

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
I used to do a full change every month but since September I've only done it once. I generally fix issues as they pop up (toy or perch placement, etc) and I put new stuff in as I acquire it. As long as Chirp is happy, I figure I'm probably doing good by him.

Fergus Mom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
I do "musical chairs" - I set up the toys and then I sort of move them around the cage into another toy's position after a week or two.

That is cute! Musical chairs, I love it. Of course, as long as they don't end up abruptly on the floor similar to how we used to do as kids when trying to sit in that chair before the music stopped LOL!

I'm much the same. Birds like their perches where they were yesterday. That fight or flight response depends on the bird knowing where the perches are rather than looking for them. The only time I'd move perches is if I'm introducing a new bird. Makes it new (neutral) territory for both birds and so reduces the chance of possessiveness. I use this rule for food and water too.

That makes a great deal of sense with the flight or fight thing, and the neutral territory for the intro birdie!

I used to do a full change every month but since September I've only done it once. I generally fix issues as they pop up (toy or perch placement, etc) and I put new stuff in as I acquire it. As long as Chirp is happy, I figure I'm probably doing good by him.

I'll bet Chirp is a very happy guy! :heart::joyful:

Gribouille

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
I almost never do, because I have a built-in cage and I think I found the optimal place for each perch and food bowl so there is no moving around. But they get new toys/fresh twigs once in a while outside their cage. They are a bunch of cowards anyway so it takes them days before they dare approaching anything new...

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I would think it would give them comfort to have their boings, rope perches, favorite toys in the same place where they are familiar with the placement.

I believe this is true. Our birds like routines and humans like variety. Two different things. I do add new toys at times. Give you an example. Last month I put a K&H heating panel in the cage near there favorite perch. For several weeks they no longer went on that perch. So yesterday I moved the perch and heating panel to a location higher up where they like to perch at night. Temp. is supposed to be in single digits tonight. They both seemed upset to the point of sitting as far away from the perch with heat panel as they could, all day long. To me these actions show they maybe do not like us rearranging the cage to suit what we think is best.

Fergus Mom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
They are a bunch of cowards anyway so it takes them days before they dare approaching anything new...

Yep! I hear this, Fergus and Fiona are much the same.

I believe this is true. Our birds like routines and humans like variety. Two different things.

It is odd how sometimes mine will take to a new toy right away, and sometimes it might take weeks, or even never at all! As mine have passed the year mark it seems they are less enthused with toys, old, or new!
I wonder if I am less enthusiastic when I am putting toys in the cage, or have they just grown tired of playing with them because they are getting older. Makes me sad!

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Same here. New toys for budgies seem to be less interesting. Had one in the cage now for 5 days and it has been totally ignored along with the older toys. We blame so many things on the weather and its cold in my apartment. Thermostat set on 72 and thermometer in kitchen says 68. So what is going on? Maintenance says the thermostat is calibrated correctly. Of course he does not live in this cold apartment.

Fergus Mom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
Same here. New toys for budgies seem to be less interesting. Had one in the cage now for 5 days and it has been totally ignored along with the older toys. We blame so many things on the weather and its cold in my apartment. Thermostat set on 72 and thermometer in kitchen says 68. So what is going on? Maintenance says the thermostat is calibrated correctly. Of course he does not live in this cold apartment.

Does it do any good to turn the thermostat to 74 Dianne? I mean, maybe then the kitchen would reflect 70 degrees? The further away from the plenum a room is, I think the more difference in temp.

Zazuthelovbird

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Selena
I agree with everyone here. I do the same for my parrots. I wash their toys and perches, then just switch them around the cage so they can try something new in the cage. :)

Pipper

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Andy
My birds are definitely happier with fewer toys and more room in the cage. The like to perch on a door that I like open at the top of the cage parts of the day and once or twice a day take flight in a circle around the living room back to the cage.

The toys on the floor of the cage are ignored and the ones hanging are ignored too. If they had any reaction to them I'd say it was frustration at their locomotion impediment in the cage. They keep each other entertained.

Last edited:

taxidermynerd

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
I try to keep toys off to the sides, I usually hang them on the sides of the cage. Most of the toys in Chirp's cage are foraging toys. He has a foraging tray with toy parts on the bottom of the cage, along with a small plate that I put avicakes and such on. I find he goes down to the bottom quite frequently, if there is enticement (i.e. food). The top 1/4 or so of the cage is mostly swings and similar, he also has a platform and a rope perch with his two SS toys he loves to play with. The rest of the cage is just perches and toys, lots of room for flapping (and yelling)!