1. Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Quarantine?

Discussion in 'Healthy Highway' started by zvezdast, 7/10/17.

1. zvezdast

zvezdast Sprinting down the street Avenue Veteran

My neighbor found a baby budgie 7 weeks ago. I was helping her with the food, and resources to try and find the owner. I never saw him in person, just on these images.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    He probably escaped from the nearby new apartments, and he didn't look like he was out for too long. From these images, and few others I saw over these weeks, he looked like he was healthy.
    They never found his owner, so they still have him. Now they are going on vacation and asked me to watch him. I've only ever took care for one friend's birds, that she had for years and I knew they didn't have any health issues. This little one never saw a vet. But he is still alive after 7 weeks in their care.

My dilemma is if I should keep his cage in the same room as my bird, or move him to the other side of the house, just to be safe (even though that's no ideal quarantine).

Last edited: 7/10/17
  2. iamwhoiam

iamwhoiam Cruising the avenue Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Veteran I Can't Stop Posting!

Quarantine the budgie. Are they planning on having him checked by a vet?

Lady Jane and Hankmacaw like this.
  3. Tiel Feathers

Tiel Feathers Biking along the boulevard Avenue Spotlight Award I Can't Stop Posting!

Deanna
    He is the only bird at your neighbor's house? Since he was there for seven weeks, and 6 weeks is the minimum time for quarantine, it might be okay, but I would have him checked by a vet and get their opinion before he comes over.

JLcribber likes this.
  4. rocky'smom

rocky'smom Biking along the boulevard Avenue Spotlight Award

laurie
    nope quarantine this little one, cuz after living outside you never know what they may have picked up.

5. zvezdast

I am not sure. I sent them info for my vet, and encouraged to take him. Didn't sound like they were going to, since they still don't know if they will keep him. They have a cat and a dog, so the little fella is in their daughter's room for now. But the kids are attached, so they are hoping at least someone they know, a kids' friend would take him, and they can visit him.
    Yes, only bird. That's what I thought, 7 weeks seemed like plenty of time.
    I really hope, for his own sake, he didn't pick up anything. But I know there are illnesses out there that can take long time to show symptoms. So, I guess try to isolate him as much as possible.

Tiel Feathers likes this.
  6. LunaLovebird

LunaLovebird Rollerblading along the road Avenue Spotlight Award Shutterbugs' Best

I would isolate. He could be a carrier for disease and not show any symptoms, namely psittacosis. I have a rescue who was found outside and is a carrier for this. You wouldn't know it from looking or interacting with him, but he's tested positive for it two years running.

fluffypoptarts likes this.
  7. zvezdast

Oh, boy!
    Is it then even safe to have him in another room, if the AC is running throughout the house?

I was going to ask, if 7 weeks is not enough, then what amount of time is? But, unless they are tested for all sorts of diseases, then you never really know, don't you?

8. Tiel Feathers

Tiel Feathers Biking along the boulevard Avenue Spotlight Award I Can't Stop Posting!

Deanna
    Seven weeks could be enough, but unfortunately he should see a vet first. Maybe they will take him to one if they really need you to watch him while they are gone. How soon are they leaving? Maybe you could just go to their house, and clean up and change your clothes, etc. before you come home.

Last edited: 7/10/17
  9. JLcribber

JLcribber Joyriding the Neighborhood Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran Shutterbugs' Best

John
    7 weeks is plenty long enough for a quarantine. This bird basically "has" been quarantined off site at your neighbors. If the bird appears healthy at this point all you need is a quick vet confirmation of that and IMO you're good to go.

10. LunaLovebird

LunaLovebird Rollerblading along the road Avenue Spotlight Award Shutterbugs' Best

As others have said, 7 weeks is fine and honestly, it's as good a quarantine as you're going to get since he was not in your house during this period. In the absence of a vet check, I would still isolate, but only because he was found outside and could have been exposed to all manner of things.

I should have added in my above post that my psittacosis bird is only a problem if he sheds the disease, which he isn't currently. So long as he is happy and healthy, he won't shed it (if he did he would be symptomatic) and my other bird is not at risk of infection. If he seems fine at this point, he probably is, but it's good to be extra cautious.

11. zvezdast

I ended up going to their house to take care of the budgie, starting today. Budgies are so tiny!

What do you guys think, boy or a girl?
    photo 4.JPG
    photo (4).JPG

Attached Files:

Last edited: 7/17/17 at 10:18 AM
    CrazyBirdChick likes this.
  12. CrazyBirdChick

CrazyBirdChick Rollerblading along the road

Diane
    I think you did good by taking care of it at their house. I'm no expert but looks like a boy. Very cute!

13. Tiel Feathers

Deanna
    Looks like a boy. Have fun taking care of that little cutie!

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)