• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Quaker with nasal infection is not getting better

LailaB

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
LAILA BUTT
Hi everyone. My quaker Louie has been was on Baytril for 10 days (2 doses daily) for a possible nasal/bacterial infection. Even after the antibiotics his nose is constantly leaking fluids (which are clear and salty...he sneezed in my mouth) and he is constantly sneezing, he is also wheezing, cannot chirp like he used to (just makes weird squeaky shrieks) and he's been closing his eyes a lot more often due to difficulty breathing.

On the plus side, his appetite is good, he is playful and flying just fine. My vet said our next step is to do a nasal flush and here are my concerns:

1) Is the nasal flush effective?
2) Should I suggest we put Louie on a stronger antibiotic such as Doxycycline?
3) I have a heater near is cage to keep him warm, I heard this is bad but I have a very drafty house and its the best option right now, are there other options?

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Did your vet perform any tests o your bird? At the minimum he should have done a CBC and a Chem panel. y vet would have performed a culture and sensitivity to determine what bacteria it is and what antibiotic is effective.

There is also a possibility of a fungal infection as well and antibiotics don't do any good with fungus. Aspergillosis is a possibility with the nasal draninage and the change in voice and problem breathing - Aspergillosis is very serious. Acute and Chronic Aspergillosis in Birds: Causes, Signs, Treatment, and Prevention

Your bird need to go to the vet immediately and at the very minimum have the tests mentioned above on him.

Let us know how he is doing and what the vet says,

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
Get him to an avian vet asap. Anything regarding breathing can and will be deadly in less than 24 hours. And PUSH your vet for answers. If your doctor tell syou to do something and it didn't help and you were in pain wouldn't you ask for more treatment and care?
Same applies to vets.

You can put a heating pad on low under his cage and cover the sides, top and back. Put a towel on the bottom of his cage in case he goes down. You are in an emergency situation and I am not kidding or being alarmist. My Quaker died of pneumonia with no visible symptoms less than 24 hours after she showed signs of illness. She woke up fluffed and didn't come out her cage the way she usually did and I took her straight to the vet. Kiwi died at 2 a.m. on Friday morning at the vet's home. I heard her call me and woke in bed at home.

Last edited:

WendyN

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
Hope you can get Louie to the vet soon.
Get better soon, Louie!

LailaB

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
LAILA BUTT
Thanks for your help everyone, I will head to the vet tomorrow morning. So far his habits are normal and he looks well/playful and eating, this is why the vet said she felt safe simply prescribing him with antibiotics. Our next step was to do all those tests you mentioned if the antibiotics didn't work.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
Thanks for your help everyone, I will head to the vet tomorrow morning. So far his habits are normal and he looks well/playful and eating, this is why the vet said she felt safe simply prescribing him with antibiotics. Our next step was to do all those tests you mentioned if the antibiotics didn't work.
Ask the vet which tests would help him the most specifically and why. Never be afraid to ask and if you don't understand what you are being told (like doctors, they speak in medical terms) ask him to tell you in plain English. Don't be embarrassed to ask because I've done that.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
To me the behavior looks like he has something possibly lodged in his nare? He acts like something is bothering him.

orphansparrow

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Cara
My green cheek was once doing strange things with her tongue. To me it looked like there was something bothering her with her throat, the way she was moving her tongue in and out much more than usual. I know this is not the same thing, but our avian vet at the time did a nasal flush after deciding she thought there were feathers and dust built up in her nasal cavity. After the flush, she was 100% fine, and stopped doing her weird tongue action immediately. It's worth a shot!

LailaB

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
LAILA BUTT
I haven't gotten any tests done yet but my Vet (she is an Avian vet) has suggested a nasal flush.

LailaB

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
LAILA BUTT
Hey just an update: it's not looking good for Louie, I took him to the vet and got a nasal flush, blood test and a 14 day round of doxycycline (the vet is sure he has a respiratory infection). Today he's looking worse than ever, his tail is bobbing, he is sneezing constantly and hes it not showing any of his usual playful behaviours. Pretty worried that the medicine has had negative effects and he may die.

CrazyBirdChick

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
Oh no! I'm sorry I don't have any advice I just want to send you and Louie good thoughts. I hope he'll get better, and soon!!

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
If the antibiotics are not doing any good - it could very well be a fungal infection I'm very suspicious of it being Aspergillosis.

LailaB

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
LAILA BUTT
Hey yall, the Blood test came back and he's negative for any bacterial infections, and the vet also said he's likely acting even more sick due to the amount of stress he went under being handled yesterday. Apparently doxycycline doesn't have the negative side effects Louie is showing so I am to keep giving it to him every 12 hours. Hoping for the best but feeling depressed.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
IMO - you need a better veterinarian.

DQTimnehs

Ri-DQ-lously crazy 4 TAGs!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
I hope he starts to improve soon! I'm late here but in the video it seemed like both sides were itchy or irritated so I do think the nasal flush was a good idea. Is he still sneezing and scratching at his nares?
Did the vet do a crop or nasal swab to test if there is a fungal infection?
You can try putting apple cider vinegar in his water, 1 part vinegar to 100 parts water. If he doesn't improve shortly though he needs to go back to the vet.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Sorry that Louie is ill. Did the vet do a culture? If asper is suspected there is an Asper panel.
Hope Louie will be OK. You may want to get a second opinion from another vet.