• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Quaker parrot has odd line on beak/sneezing problem

Justin Harper

Moving in
Real Name
Justin Harper
My bird, Zoey, developed a line down his beak back around the time of last Christmas. He also started occasionally sneezing around the same time the line started to appear. He does have discharge that wets the feathers around his left nostril which is on the same side as the black line. He is 22 years old. I hope it's not serious!

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I don't know about the line, but any time your bird has wet sneezes and a discharge you should take him to the vet. He could have a bacterial infection, and it's best if you catch it early.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
He could have a blockage, or bacterial infection, or fungal infection and he definitely need to go to the vet.

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
vet asap

Justin Harper

Moving in
Real Name
Justin Harper
This in the line I'm talking about. You can see the damp patch of feathers near his left nostril.

Attachments

Tiel Feathers

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
He's cute! Is the line a groove? Glad you're taking him to the vet. Let us know how it goes please!

Justin Harper

Moving in
Real Name
Justin Harper
Haven't really gone yet. I forgot I had to call ahead and now i'm waiting to get in.

rockybird

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Yes he needs to go to the vet. He could have an infection. Something may be interfering with the beak keratinization as it grows, leaving the groove, but that is just a guess. You dont want a sinus infection spreading to the brain. I would get him in as soon as possible.

Justin Harper

Moving in
Real Name
Justin Harper
They prescribed antibiotics and anti inflammatory meds. Little guy hates the stuff and he's getting smart about it. He won't let me get him out of the cage without biting me.

Justin Harper

Moving in
Real Name
Justin Harper
Other than that he's going back after 2 more weeks for a check up and blood work.

Tiel Feathers

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I hope the meds help! Maybe try having him come out of his cage just for treats a lot, at all times of the day, over and over. Also, this is a good time to work on any other training/bonding activities, so he will still think of you as his friend.