• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Quaker ...lorikeet?

birdnerd

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
claire
Hey guys...Im considering adopting a quaker, which ive also mentioned in anther thread regarding disabiity. i was just curious....would you consider a quaker personality similar to that of a rainbow lorikeet? Im ghinknig they sound quite cheeky like a lorikeet?? i have no exoerience with quakers.. only lorikeet, but was thinknig they sound similar?

Have a great night?
Claire

CrazyBirdChick

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
I don't have any experience with Lorikeets but Quakers are wonderful fun little birds with huge personalities.

Alot of them are known to be cage aggressive and sometimes bullies to other birds so that may be something to be careful of with the Lorikeet.

:bump7:

WendyN

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
:bump4:

AzaleaMist

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Amy
I have two Quakers and I love them dearly but they can be a handful at times. They are very smart, funny and can have an attitude when they wish. They attach usually to one person and can be very possessive of their person and not want to share you with others human or bird. They can show some cage aggression (possessiveness/ no intruders welcome inside cage) but so can other birds. My two will let me do anything to their cage unless they find it scary then they will be unhappy.
They each have different quirks with scary things. Their diet needs to be chosen carefully due to risks with things like sunflower seeds. They are a big no no for Quakers. They also can be so sweet and lovable and they get so excited when they get to be with you.

Do some research and see if you are up for a big attitude small bird. If they sound good to you and you are up for their perks and quirks you have your answer! I do not know anything about lorikeets specifically so I can't make a comparison. I have budgies, cockatiels, one green cheek, Ringneck doves and the two Quaker girls. I would have to compare attitude closest to a conure but again it's a different bird and they are not the same at all except they are a lot of bird in a small Package.

I wanted to note that our two girls love/ are bonded to two people in our family. Myself and one of my daughters. The other two human girls are tolerated at different levels by the Quaker girls and they tolerate my husband but none of them are willing be friendly with the Quakers after the two birds made it clear they didn't really want to be friends with them. - I'm sorry if I'm rambling or don't make sense. Tired.

Last edited:

birdnerd

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
claire
Thanks guys... im still totally unsure. The quakers and the eclectus (although completely different) are the ones that appeal to me. Im not sure if an eclectus is too much of a jump experience wise for me..but they fascinate me..I was just so comfortable with my Lucky boy....its hard to figure out what/if next?

Animallover03

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Audrey
I don't really think Quakers are similar to rainbow lorikeets, Quakers in my experience aren't quite so clownish or playful.

Maybe you would consider conures or caiques?

Animallover03

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Audrey
And for eclectus: the eclectus I have met have been more laid back and calm, more observing. They have a harsh, loud call, but if you can deal with that and their specialized diet I would meet one to see if they are the right bird for you. I would actually recommend visiting a rescue to meet lots of birds and find the right species for you. :)

Ps- your lorikeet is adorable! I would love a lorikeet someday :)

birdnerd

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
claire
yeah he was lovely miss him stacks!....the laid back side to the ecelectus does appeal to me i must say....

doodoowmdeez

Strolling the yard
Real Name
James Lafontaine
I've had a Green Naped Lory and presently have a quaker. The differences between the 2 as far as mine are concerned are this. The lorikeet was by far the most outgoing, goofy bird I'd ever experienced in person. And I volunteer at a parrot rescue where there are plenty of clowns. They are exceptional people birds if raised halfway decently. If you have a lory you know the picky diet needs and poop mess are the worst drawbacks to them. Now my quaker. He's a rescue so I don't know how he was raised. But he is much more low key. Less playing more about hanging on your shoulder chit chatting. He is very talkative and will speak unlike the majority of lories. The bad would be that you need to actively keep on top of not allowing the defense mode to kick in. So far no issues here but he had shown signs of possession over the cage he was in. So alternating his cage and keeping him social with people and the other birds has become the norm. My advice would be if you want another clown go for another Lory or Caique. If you'd prefer a change of pace the quaker can be a great just different type of pet

birdnerd

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
claire
Doodoowmdeez... thankyou for this! I am leaning back towards a lori depiste the projectile poop. i do love their character. I found the poop manageable with my last lori and he never flew due to injury..flying projectile poop..hmmm...but i did love his character and the fact that he wasnt always wanting to be with with me. he loved to play....but thankyou so much for that comparison. the cage protection of quakers worries me a little.. my lori.. i changed his cage up constantly to keep him entertained..he loved exploring it after i changed it..thinking this would be a lot harder with a quaker too....thankyou so much.

JAM

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
A lorikeet is like a feathered ADHD toddler on crack. If you want something that demands attention is as playful as anything, loud and squirts poop considerable distances then a lorikeet is the bird for you.

It does sound like I am putting you off them but better you know what they're like than be surprised! They're a magical bird to own, but hard work and a lot of cleaning. Having said that I wouldn't own another species type. However, the conure I am bird sitting has won me over. They're amazing little birds too!

I just realised you already have a lorikeet so you already know haha! I'm on night shift so abit dopey at the moment sorry!!!!

birdnerd

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
claire
Jam..thats ok..yes...well aquainted with the projectil pooping and noise.!!! im very undecided at the moment.

AzaleaMist

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Amy
Quakers are not low key birds and they want your attention. Once they love you they are hooked on you and want to be with as much as possible. I do not have cage aggression problems with my Quaker girls but I do have a little with my green cheek. You just never know!
My Quakers like to play animated versions games like peekaboo and they can be silly but I wouldn't call them clownish. I had no idea lorikeets were that way. Oh FYI my Quaker Piper enjoys aiming her poop at Bella's cage.

birdnerd

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
claire
AzaleaMist..thanks for ur info too! interesting u have a conure more territorial than the quaker. im quite torn really....between the two..its hard...especially when uve never really had the chance to hang out with any. I think it was in some ways easier with my lorikeet.. I went into it with him really...completely clueless for the most part other than knowing what fppd he ate. I kind of just figured it out as we went.. we clicked and it worked out well..he was awesome...and ive learnt a lot about birds in general from him. So now Im more worried as i know more! ( Youd think it would be the other way around!) .
I love that your quaker like to aim poop! How funny... my lorikeet.. didnt aim it.. i dont think???!!! .but damn.. he was quite gifted at getting it in the most bizarre places!

Kiwi and Mitch

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Mitch
Hey guys...Im considering adopting a quaker, which ive also mentioned in anther thread regarding disabiity. i was just curious....would you consider a quaker personality similar to that of a rainbow lorikeet? Im ghinknig they sound quite cheeky like a lorikeet?? i have no exoerience with quakers.. only lorikeet, but was thinknig they sound similar?

Have a great night?
Claire
Hi Birdnerd, hope that your search is going well.

Of the two types of birds you have mentioned I have a Quaker and zero experience with a Lorikeet. My Quaker is cheeky, loving, fun and very easy to care for provided that she gets plenty of attention. I find that she needs at least 4 hours a day of out of cage time mixed with one on one time. She loves to play, chirp and be a giant brat. Some toys need to be changed up in her cage every 5-7 days and I do have two cages in the house for her and mix up her time, she has shown zero signs of cage aggression but is still very young.

Hope this helps, each bird is different but I think Kiwi is quite the typical Quaker in many ways, except for her lack of cage aggression, which very well may still develop over time.