• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Quaker hormonal time frame?

CrazyBirdChick

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
It's been so long since I've dealt with raging hormones. Does anyone know how long they last in a quaker? Is it a few weeks or a few months? Blu just turned two so I'm thinking this is his first rodeo :shocked4:

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
It depends on age for sure. The first time Jingo became hormonal (about 18 months) it lasted somewhere around 10 months it felt like lol. He'll be 6 in May and he has definitely mellowed out and now its a few months at a time. Of course after the first "rodeo" minimizing hormonal triggers like warm mushy food, nesting areas, etc will help.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]

talks2animals

Checking out the neighborhood
I'm searching for a time frame, how long until this passes because OHHH MAN & I do mean MAN! My Niko thinks he is the KING right now. He's not being aggressive which I almost wish he went back to when he was younger, but he will be 6 next month & he wants nothing to do with me, isn't talking when that was ALL he would do before-hormones or not & my shoulder was where he would pretty much LIVE. The time frame never seemed too long before & I guess because he has his moments here & there, I'd get bit but the screaming is his choice of communication instead of talking & he totally wants to nest more than anything else & not hang out with me. Even if/when he does I have to watch his body language at all times, I could get bit for no reason...well of course there's a reason, he's worse than us "chicks" (no pun intended lol) when we are hormonal. I've looked up everything that I need to do & problem is, he's never been a real bird & was always trained well but doesn't like the regular bird things, was afraid of everything & now not wanting to hang out with me it's going to be even MORE difficult to try to reassure him things are OK since being around me isn't so much OK. There are only VERY few things that are allowed in his area & of course I'm kicking myself in the butt for letting him be fine with playing with me & more human things under my supervision-now that he really needs actual bird toys in his area. If only he believed me so many years back when I kept telling him he really IS a bird! Gotta do my best for now & pray it passes asap & then back to extra training methods when he's more his "normal" self.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I'm searching for a time frame, how long until this passes because OHHH MAN & I do mean MAN! My Niko thinks he is the KING right now. He's not being aggressive which I almost wish he went back to when he was younger, but he will be 6 next month & he wants nothing to do with me, isn't talking when that was ALL he would do before-hormones or not & my shoulder was where he would pretty much LIVE. The time frame never seemed too long before & I guess because he has his moments here & there, I'd get bit but the screaming is his choice of communication instead of talking & he totally wants to nest more than anything else & not hang out with me. Even if/when he does I have to watch his body language at all times, I could get bit for no reason...well of course there's a reason, he's worse than us "chicks" (no pun intended lol) when we are hormonal. I've looked up everything that I need to do & problem is, he's never been a real bird & was always trained well but doesn't like the regular bird things, was afraid of everything & now not wanting to hang out with me it's going to be even MORE difficult to try to reassure him things are OK since being around me isn't so much OK. There are only VERY few things that are allowed in his area & of course I'm kicking myself in the butt for letting him be fine with playing with me & more human things under my supervision-now that he really needs actual bird toys in his area. If only he believed me so many years back when I kept telling him he really IS a bird! Gotta do my best for now & pray it passes asap & then back to extra training methods when he's more his "normal" self.

What's his diet like? How much sleep does he get? How much light (natural or artificial)? There are things you can do to try to minimize the nesty need.