• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Quaker flew away

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
You can try to find a tree trimmer type person or your fire department and see if they can climb the tree to get her if nobody you know is able to get into the tree. It's very possible either one will have special tools, ladders, and maybe a boom truck so they could get to her and scoop her up. I climbed two trees when I lost Lurch but he finally got into a much taller tree I couldn't climb or I'd have him now. I got some offers from a pro tree climber some time afterwards so a good thing to check out if she doesn't come down soon.

Dartman

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
Lurch went nuts when he saw us eating taco bell under his tree but he was too scared to fly down . If he could have he would because that was his favorite junk food to share with us, great idea.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Great that you see and hear Skittles. Make sure she can see her cage and sit outside and eat some yummy things to tempt her. Put special food items on top of her cage as well as inside. Is there a special toy she likes, btw? You can hold that and play with it to motivate her.

Sherry S

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Sherry M Surrency
Our cockatiel, Precious, who had been out free-flying many times, did the same thing. She is my husband's little angel. When he went out the door, she flew after him. Instead of landing on him, she made several flights around the house and disappeared. We were horrified.

All of our birds are flock call trained. When out of sight of us, our parrots flock-call us and return our flock-calls to them. While Precious was out of viewing range, she would call and answer our calls. Soon after, Precious stopped calling us and returning our calls. We own a large piece of property in the country. We spent four hours of intense searching, calling out to her, and crying the entire time while looking for her. About the time when we had given up, she flock-called us from a distance. We went around the ponds and the house following her calls. Then, the calls stopped again. My thoughts finally collected. I realized that she quit calling because she could see us. So, we hid from view and she flock-called us.

Sure enough, she was sitting about 30 feet up in one of the big pine trees beside our house picking of bark and playing. (Little stinker). My husband and I both broke down crying. He used a PVC pipe to shoo her off the tree limb. Precious flew down from the tree and landed on my husband's shoulder. We instantly took her in and clipped her wings so that she could still fly, but short enough to prevent her from getting enough lift to fly high.

We often forget that it is within their nature to fly free. Though they are part of our flock, it is part of their instincts to want to soar and be free. As a result, we no longer free fly our babies.

It is heartbreaking enough to lose one for four hours. I cannot even imagine the hurt and suffering that you are feeling. If I were searching for one of our birds, I would put something familiar outside, play videos that have sounds of songs, and keep looking. I am so sorry for your pain and heartbreak. I hope you find your little angel.

BeanieofJustice

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Steph
I'm so sorry that she flew off, I do hope very much that you can get her back! We often don't think things will happen to us, but things happen and all we can do is try to learn from them.

Fuzzy

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Roz
So hoping she has the courage to fly to you. :sadhug2::sadhug2::sadhug2: Prayers for you both.

Karen

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
One thing is to not stand to much under her. She'll need room to fly downward, straight down will never happen as it's a learned skill.
Back off and see if she can or will try and fly towards you, slowly coming down.
Yes! So glad you posted this.

Set everything up (cage, food, you) at a wide angle from her so she can see you and fly to you as she's gradually declining.

Good luck!

Sherry S

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Sherry M Surrency
Do you have other birds? Birds whose call Skittles can relate? It might encourage her to come to the other birds. Please let us know when you get her back. Having faith that you will recover your little angel.

Birdlover42

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Alicia
Update on Skittles. She left the tree in the back and flew pretty far away but then came back to another tree in the back. Later my husband saw what he thought was her in the tree. Went in to get binoculars and when he came back out she was sitting on the ground in the yard! He goes to get her and she flew right up over his head and far away again. I feel like she knows how to get back home. We've been calling her and playing music all day. Also actually letting the dogs bark too. I feel a little bad for my neighbors this weekend.

CrazyBirdChick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
Oh no! I'm sorry you haven't gotten her yet! Atleast you know she's still close! I'm still praying for you!!

NK_717

Avenue Veteran
So close! This has to be frustrating :(
I hope she comes back.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Prayers for you and Skittles.

Wondering if she’d come to you at bedtime?

Karen

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
If you get the chance to approach her again like that, offer her most favorite food and go real slow so that she knows that you have it for her.

CrazyBirdChick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
Skittles found! Wow! I can't thank the people who found her enough! They are angels and took such good care of her until we got her back. She was 2miles away. Never again will I have her outside without a harness or in her cage or an aviary!
Yay!! Omg, I'm so happy to hear that! Thank goodness!! :bliss:

Hjarta5

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Jennifer
:heart::heart::heart::heart::heart:

Please give Skittles extra scritches for me :hug8: