• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Quaker flew away

Birdlover42

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Alicia
My Skittles flew away. Anytime we have taken her outside she grasps onto us and won't let go. We have taken her outside so many times. To get the mail or hang out on the back deck. Today she decided to fly away. We hadn't clipped her wings in awhile and my husband told me we needed to do it soon. We shouldn't have brought her out without clipping her wings first but we did thinking she would never fly away from us. My son said mom next time you get a bird don't take it outside. How many times has she been outside with us and never flew off. I guess you take it for granted that your bird will not fly away. I went looking for her but she's nowhere to be found and I can't take it. What am I going to do without her and worrying about whether or not she's okay. I feel so stupid and guilty. I cant believe I let this happen. I hope and pray someone finds her. I truly don't know what to do. I know she won't come back on her own. I'm sure she's scared and doesn't understand whats happening or what to do. I always felt bad clipping her wings and when I told people that I did that they thought I was awful for doing it. This time I let them grow thinking I was benefiting her and allowing her to be her bird self. I never thought she would fly away. She's always attached to me and my husband but she's like any dog or cat who might take off, the only difference is she has wings and I can't find her. My heart is wrenching. What do I do.

EkkieLu

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
Search and don't give up! Put the cage outside loaded with favorite foods and toys. Post LOST papers all over your neighborhood. Keep calling her name so she can locate you.

I went out in the snow last winter to help a gal search for her baby. Flashlights in hand, we were out in 30' weather for hours combing the area. Don't give up!!!

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Oh no I am so sorry. Post on local facebook sites, on https://www.911parrotalert.com/ and contact local shelters and vets. Walk around your neighborhood, call out; if there are any noises she responds to (chips opening, etc) then play that on your phone loudly or do it as you walk around calling for her.

Just so you know, clipped birds also do fly away unfortunately :( My mother in law lost a cockatiel that was very much clipped.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I am very sorry that Skittles flew away and I hope she will find her way home.
That has happened with birds who have flown off so don't give up hope. Keep searching and follow the advice posted above.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Ours that flew away had just been clipped that morning. The wind caught him up. We posted everywhere, Facebook, Craigslist, called the rescues. We got him back.

Don’t give up!:sadhug2:

CrazyBirdChick

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
Oh no, I'm sorry! As others have said please don't give up. Birds that fly away usually don't go too far immediately. She's probably sitting up somewhere quiet as a mouse because she's scared. I hope with all my might and heart that you find her!!!

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
I truly don't know what to do. I know she won't come back on her own. I'm sure she's scared and doesn't understand whats happening or what to do.
Their is only one thing you can do. Go out and bring her back! She needs to hear your voice if she is scared.
You owe her that for not keeping her safe.
And if she was clipped (yes they can still fly outside) she would probably be dead now because she couldn't fly good enough for all dangers outside.
Clipping wings is not for your birds safety.

AutumnRain

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kelsey
I'm so sorry that you're going through this. Try to think of where a bird might want to be. Birds feel safer up high typically, so chances are she's in a tree somewhere. If there is any type of call you ever did to get her to fly to you in your home, be sure to use it when trying to find her.

You can also put flyers up around your neighborhood with her picture and your phone number, so if someone finds her, they know where to take her. Contact local vet offices, shelters, and even pet stores that have birds to see if anyone found one and brought it in.

I can't imagine how overwhelmed and devastated you must be. Take a deep breath and don't lose hope. Sending prayers that you find your beloved Skittles. :sadhug2:

Birdlover42

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Alicia
Their is only one thing you can do. Go out and bring her back! She needs to hear your voice if she is scared.
You owe her that for not keeping her safe.
And if she was clipped (yes they can still fly outside) she would probably be dead now because she couldn't fly good enough for all dangers outside.
Clipping wings is not for your birds safety.
Of course I went looking for her! Also I am aware that a clipped bird can fly. The experience I have had from my own birds is that mine couldn't fly far enough to be able to get away from me and I could easily catch them. I'm completely devastated as you can imagine.

Birdlover42

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Alicia
OMG she's right outside the house in a huge pine tree! I can't see her but can hear her! How on Earth do I get her to come down???

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
Go outside with her favourite treat and call her the way you would if you were inside for her to come to you. Staying up high is their safety move, getting them down is a little trickier. If you can take her cage or travel cage out with you and put out a bowl of food on it to see if she'll come down. Is she your only bird?

Hjarta5

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Jennifer
@Birdlover42

Put the cage outside loaded with favorite foods and toys
Go outside with her favourite treat and call her the way you would if you were inside for her to come to you. Staying up high is their safety move, getting them down is a little trickier. If you can take her cage or travel cage out with you and put out a bowl of food on it to see if she'll come down. Is she your only bird?
If she can fly, go outside and wait to see if she will come down to you. Call out to her. She is probably scared and hungry, but will hopefullu recognize your voice.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Flying down is a learned skill and is harder than flying up, believe it or not! So it may take some major coaxing, especially if she's always been clipped and never had a chance to practice. Don't give up hope!

Birdlover42

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Alicia
I've called to her and she calls back. She definitely recognizes my voice. I have the cage on the deck but maybe I should put it by the tree and hope she can see it. I cannot believe she's out there. She flew so far away last night. I prayed and begged God to please bring her back to me! Now I've gotta get her down!!!

Hjarta5

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Jennifer
Dont give up hope!

:goodluck::goodluck::goodluck::goodluck::goodluck:

Thinking of you and Skittles :fingerscrossed: And hoping that she comes back safely soon :heart:

Beasley

Real Name
Maggie Beasley
Oh I so hope she will come down to you! I would bring her cage by the tree like you said. Maybe play her some Quaker sounds and try to bribe her with millet or her favorite foods, definitely keep talking to her! Come on Skittles, fly to mamma!

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
Praying you get her down.
One thing is to not stand to much under her. She'll need room to fly downward, straight down will never happen as it's a learned skill.
Back off and see if she can or will try and fly towards you, slowly coming down.

Birdlover42

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Alicia
She left the tree out front and now she's out in the back so she's trying. Prayers are needed please! We have the cage and her pellets and seeds and water all out there. Thank you for the advice not to stand under her because that's where I was standing for a bit! I know she can hear us and I hope she can see us!

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
Hoping and praying that Skittles will fly down to you.