• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Quaker/Conure??

Renae

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
This is what I kind of worry about with Leila (GCC) and Keiba (IRN).

There is always a first time for everything, and sometimes the most surprising things are thrown at us unexpectedly. All the best with the little one, this should be something very, very different.
:)

webchirp

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra

Bridgette

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Bridgette
Soooooooo there is hope for Ross and Kiwi!!:dance4::dance4:
I'm not raising them, Lindsay so I hope you are prepared to take parental leave from the clink and be a stay at home bird mom.:lol:

Lil Birds R Cool

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jan
As someone mentioned, Quakers have been sometimes said to be a part of the Conure "family". We have always jokingly referred to them as "Gray Front" Conures in PA where they are illegal.... to get them under the radar if they ever come into the rescue.

And, yes, "parakeet" is a general term used to describe a long tailed smaller parrot- like budgies, conures, quakers, etc. So, all conures are parakeets, but not all parakeets are conures.

I would have faith in the parents to know what to do if this baby does actually hatch. Looking forward to hearing how this turns out.

Lil Birds R Cool

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jan
Oh, and as for hybrids, a friend has a green/blue Hyacinth Buffon's cross. Gorgeous bird.

I have a peach front and a Sun who are in love but don't know the gender of either. Just that they like each other.

Last edited:

merlinsmom13

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Becky
Amazing, I would want to see whats in that egg. Please keep it. And also, I would use birth control for everyone in the house in case you guys are in some sort of Twilight Zone fertility bubble. :eek: :D

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
Amazing, I would want to see whats in that egg. Please keep it. And also, I would use birth control for everyone in the house in case you guys are in some sort of Twilight Zone fertility bubble. :eek: :D
Can you imagine Matt pregnant:eek:

merlinsmom13

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Becky
I actually can, he looks like a good daddy! Imagine the senuous look on his face when he holds the baby or the 1st time? :storkg::swoon:

On a serious note, it explains alot about Oscar being so aggressive lately, he was defending his next & his love. :heart:

merlinsmom13

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Becky
Soooooooo there is hope for Ross and Kiwi!!:dance4::dance4:
Lindsay, he do know that Kiwi & Ross are boys. Maybe Bridgett or Whitney can explain this to you soon! :o: :rofl:

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
I actually can, he looks like a good daddy! Imagine the senuous look on his face when he holds the baby or the 1st time? :storkg::swoon:
On a serious note, it explains alot about Oscar being so aggressive lately, he was defending his next & his love. :heart:
Yes that could very well explain Oscar's naughty behavior. And......I did not say imagine him as a daddy but to imagine him pregnant. Big difference.

Last edited:

gibsongrrrl

Courtney Lou Hoo
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Courtney Lou Hoo
well, that is amazing. i can't wait to see what a conker looks like. or a baby jesus bird, for that matter:lol:

Tangle Elf

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
With parrots and some other types of animals, the definition of a species includes that they wouldn't interbreed in the wild. Sometimes its only due to geographical differences, not biological. Since the species and genus of parrots are frequently based on looks, I can see this happening with a lot of different types of parrots. If male and female eclectuses can be identified as different species, its not a stretch to think that some things are misclassified. Congrats!

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
As someone mentioned, Quakers have been sometimes said to be a part of the Conure "family". We have always jokingly referred to them as "Gray Front" Conures in PA where they are illegal.... to get them under the radar if they ever come into the rescue.

And, yes, "parakeet" is a general term used to describe a long tailed smaller parrot- like budgies, conures, quakers, etc. So, all conures are parakeets, but not all parakeets are conures.

I would have faith in the parents to know what to do if this baby does actually hatch. Looking forward to hearing how this turns out.

"Gray Front Conures"... I love it!

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
wow, this is so interesting..I definitely would discourage co parenting though..you never know what might happen in that situation....however she is quite capable of feeding the chick on her own..you would have to keep a close eye on things though and be prepared to step in and hand feed at a moment's notice..I do hope that someone on AA will step in and offer to do this for you..you must keep us updated!!!!

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
And, keep in mind that we all know exactly how determined our fids can be when it comes to doing something naughty that they aren't supposed to do. They almost make human children look spineless in comparison. :eek:

AmberMuffinz

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
And, keep in mind that we all know exactly how determined our fids can be when it comes to doing something naughty that they aren't supposed to do. They almost make human children look spineless in comparison. :eek:
"Wait, you're telling me that we can't reproduce with each other? WE'LL SHOW YOU!" Isn't that the truth, yeesh!

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Hey Matt. How's the egg?

wow, this is so interesting..I definitely would discourage co parenting though..you never know what might happen in that situation....however she is quite capable of feeding the chick on her own..you would have to keep a close eye on things though and be prepared to step in and hand feed at a moment's notice..I do hope that someone on AA will step in and offer to do this for you..you must keep us updated!!!!
Coparenting is now becoming an excellent way to rear chicks. Why would you discourage it?

Gen120

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Victoria :)
checking in for an update!:D