• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Quaker bad breath

Sunflower

Meeting neighbors
Hi everyone,

Noticed an unusual bad breath from My Quaker this morning when he woke up. It’s kinda fishy smell. This is the very first time he has it. He’s over a year now. Has anyone went through this? Please advise.

Thank you so much.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Bad breath is generally a symptom of a fungal infection. Think about what she has eaten and if there is nothing to cause the bad breath, get her to the vet for testing. Fungal infections can be particularly nasty.

Sunflower

Meeting neighbors
Thank you so much for your quick reply. He had his regular food like raw vegetables (beet, carrots), sprouted fenugreek, cooked quinoa and pellets (Harrison).

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Yes, I had a gold cap come in for fostering and he had very stinky breath. He had a bacterial infection and yeast.

Sunflower

Meeting neighbors
Is fungal infection really bad? I'm worried now :( I'm monitoring him and gave him few drops of apple cider vinegar diluted in water. He looks normal and no bad breath. I'm also looking for a vet nearby.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
You need to have a regular vet anyway, so find one and take your baby to him/her. You should do a pretty thorough review of is the vets before you chose one and a certified avian vet is generally your best bet.

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
Time to see the avian veterinarian

Sunflower

Meeting neighbors
I live in Austin, Texas. Got an appointment for today. They said I am not gonna find any board specialized avian vet (??) but all their vets are specialized in avian. The vet clinic has better reviews than some other and they also sound friendlier than others. I am praying God that things will be fine. Thank ya'll for your prompt response and support. Really appreciate it. Will keep ya'll updated

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Even if things aren't fine, there is a 99.9% chance that the vet can fix your baby. The great majority of vet's are competent, if not very, very good - they really do care. One important thing when you see the vet, is to ask questions and make sure you get answers.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Please let us know how the visit goes and how your feathered baby is doing. Thanks

Sunflower

Meeting neighbors
Hi everyone, Vet said my baby birdie is completely fine. She’s not seeing any signs of infection and explained birds may have some yeast infection when their crop don’t get ´drained’ properly so I should make sure he’s not overfed and should feed him more vegetables. She asked him to keep an eye on him and she’ll follow up by next week. Thank God! I am feeling relieved now. :)

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Thanks for letting us all know. It is a good thing when a birdie Mom or Dad feels something may not be right and seeks vet care.
A little FYI if yeast is present it will thrive more in a sugar or sweet environment then one that is not. Meaning to stay away from foods that have sugar or honey.