• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Purebred Vs Rescue

Status
Not open for further replies.

blackivory

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Chels
Awesome stories, thanks for sharing.

Brooke .. I am in the same boat as you. Dogs are far different as they can be aggressive etc. Both my dogs are purebred and from breeders and I honestly don't think I would rescue a dog as they are totally different.

Crystal .. No flaming from me, and you're one of the good purebred owners :) Do Persians have a high needs coat?

I re-read the text that started this thread and told the "friend" how hurtful I felt over it and she came back saying I was the one who starting talking about costs. Whatever, I class our friendship as ceased as it isn't the first negative pet comment she has made to me.

Shade

Crazy for Pois!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natacha
I got my cat from the local Humane Society - she was an older cat (4 years old at the time) and hid a lot but then again, I probably would have done the same. She didn't get the attention of most people there because of this - and yet, I think she's one of the most beautiful cats I've ever seen. No purebred status either.

brilywi

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Bri
Awesome stories, thanks for sharing.

Brooke .. I am in the same boat as you. Dogs are far different as they can be aggressive etc. Both my dogs are purebred and from breeders and I honestly don't think I would rescue a dog as they are totally different.

Crystal .. No flaming from me, and you're one of the good purebred owners :) Do Persians have a high needs coat?

I re-read the text that started this thread and told the "friend" how hurtful I felt over it and she came back saying I was the one who starting talking about costs. Whatever, I class our friendship as ceased as it isn't the first negative pet comment she has made to me.
I wanna say that you shouldn't discount shelter dogs because you don't know their past. My Hobo is a shelter dog and yes, she turned out to be our worst behaved little booger, but after quite a bit of training her into some better behaviors she's a lot better. My Ned is not a shelter dog, but a stray we took in and ended up keeping because we fell in love. If he had gone to a shelter like we originally planned, he would've been euthanized on the spot due to his people aggression. With dogs aggression usually comes from poor socialization and its something that can be worked with and conditioned so that it becomes something you and your dog can both deal with. Unfortunately we got Ned way too long after his critical socialization stage but we have worked with him and gotten him to quite a better place with strangers than he was in the past.

blackivory

Real Name
Chels
I wanna say that you shouldn't discount shelter dogs because you don't know their past.
Really sorry, I didn't word it very well. Too many of the shelter dogs here are bull/lab mixes and I have very selective dog traits. I had a lot of trouble trying to find a suitable shelter puppy when I was seeking my second dog a few years ago. So I went back to a breeder who loved what I had to offer one of her puppies. I also love being able to keep in contact with dog breeders, I'm still in contact with both my dog breeders and I often turn to them for help.

Some shelter mixes are amazing and they sure do make awesome pets but the timing has to be right as there is a lot to consider with a dog, over a cat. For me anyway.

I wasn't asked many questions when I adopted Gypsy. Nor Kitty.

brilywi

Real Name
Bri
Really sorry, I didn't word it very well. Too many of the shelter dogs here are bull/lab mixes and I have very selective dog traits. I had a lot of trouble trying to find a suitable shelter puppy when I was seeking my second dog a few years ago. So I went back to a breeder who loved what I had to offer one of her puppies. I also love being able to keep in contact with dog breeders, I'm still in contact with both my dog breeders and I often turn to them for help.

Some shelter mixes are amazing and they sure do make awesome pets but the timing has to be right as there is a lot to consider with a dog, over a cat. For me anyway.

I wasn't asked many questions when I adopted Gypsy. Nor Kitty.
Its fine, theres no need to apologize. I didn't mean to sound like I was taking offence. I just don't want to see shelter pups get discounted because they get put in a shelter, when its almost always not their choice to be there. I understand the reasons people have for going to breeders, I understood why my dad wanted to get a purebred siamese when we were looking for a cat and I can definitely see the appeal of a pure bred. I also understand the timing has to be right when it comes to adopting; we spent about a month going through shelters looking for a companion dog for Ned (as he is more of a dog's dog than a person's dog and the house felt empty after Stripe passed) and the only real reason we settled on Hobo was because she was the first female he didn't either refuse to meet or try to mount immediately. :rolleyes:

Yoshi

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jessie
I am sure I am coming to this discussion from a bit different view point than others as I used to show and breed bengal cats. There is a huge difference between a responsible breeder and a puppy/kitten mill or a breeder that cuts corners. A responsible breeder works to keep the genetics diversified, tests for possible health issues in the lines, makes sure their animals are well socialized, guarantees and stands behind their puppies/kittens and many times helps their breed rescue - either financially, helping with transport, fostering when they have a quarantine room available, etc.

Breeds fill nitches and desires that people have (similar to the different species of birds we have to choose from). I don't think that is wrong as long as they are being responsible about it. I cringe more when someone lets their barn cats breed willie-nillie or feel fluffy needs just one litter before they fix her... and just because someone buys a purebred does not mean they did it for bragging rights. They most likely did it because they find that breed beautiful and desire the traits of that breed. And just because a cat or dog is a "mutt" doesn't mean they are healthy or not in-bred. There are a lot of inbred farm cats and "oops" litters because someone didn't think their 8 month old puppy was old enough to impreginate its mother.

With that said - I find those who are willing to open their home to a rescue amazing. Just because an animal is not purebred does not make it inferior as a pet. It just depends what the person wants and what fits best into their life style.

I have three indoor cats. Out of the indoor cats one is a purebred bengal - the last one I kept from my program, one is a bengal mix that I had fostered for the bengal rescue network for almost 2 years (this was about the time the economy crashed so not a lot of peple adopting) and I finally fully adopted her, and one is a big orange Tabby that I had found as a kitten outside in my back field. My dog is a purebred Rottie that we adopted from the local shelter. Sweet as can be but easily cowers and shows other indications that she had been beat in a previous home, but otherwise an amazing dog.

So as you can see - I support all sides of the issue and really don't feel it has to be an "us vs. them" situation that a lot of people make it out to be.

blackivory

Real Name
Chels
Love your view Jessie and you said what I was trying to say. It is really down to personal choice.

I honestly have NO idea on what to look for in a feline breeder and prefer to adopt from the shelter, so I won't ever take the time to learn.

I know what to look for in a canine breeder :)

Bengals are hard work yes?

HungryBird

What is the regular adoption fee for a cat? I always thought it was something like $25 or $50...? I've never had a cat and probably never will but if I did I would just get one from a shelter. I feel bad for cats because people seem to be even crueler to them than they are to dogs.

blackivory

Real Name
Chels
What is the regular adoption fee for a cat? I always thought it was something like $25 or $50...? I've never had a cat and probably never will but if I did I would just get one from a shelter. I feel bad for cats because people seem to be even crueler to them than they are to dogs.
It all depends on the shelter and the age of the cat/kitten and if there is anything included. De-sexing, vaccinations, two weeks after care etc. Though the Cat Haven in Perth WA has a lot of local support and people donate so much stuff. Every cent goes back to the cats.

Where I go, it ranges from $150 to $75.

brilywi

Real Name
Bri
Like Chels said, it varies. I've found that if you go to a breed or species specific rescue (or if its a private rescue), it usually costs more to adopt but you get quite a bit more vet work done. My cat came from a private rescue for dogs and cats, and we spent $100 to adopt her, but she was spayed, had all her shots and other vet work done. The only thing she didn't get treated for while there was ear mites, which I'm pretty sure she got once they put her on display in the stores they worked with. The cats we saw at the local shelters were around $25-50, but there was no guarantee they were spayed or neutered. They usually had all their shots and general vet work but not much more than that.

suileeka

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lindsay
It really depends where you live, and what sort of organization you're adopting from. The overpopulation crisis is so great here, the shelter in Philly frequently has adoption specials for cats anywhere from $1-$25 - and that includes shots and spay/neuter.

Yoshi

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jessie
Love your view Jessie and you said what I was trying to say. It is really down to personal choice.

I honestly have NO idea on what to look for in a feline breeder and prefer to adopt from the shelter, so I won't ever take the time to learn.

I know what to look for in a canine breeder :)

Bengals are hard work yes?
I

I'm sure there are a lot of similarities between choosing a feline breeder and a canine breeder. But if you don't have your heart set on a particular breed of cat there is no reason why you can't find a good cat in need at the shelter. Also a lot of people seem to forget the purebred rescue groups that you can adopt the breed of your choice if you want a specific breed but also want to help an animal in need. Just takes a little research online to find them.

Bengal cats are high energy and love to play and tend to be a more vocal breed. I had to put child proof latches on all my cupboards and drawers or it looked like poltergeists in my home because they get into everything. But they are easy maintence compared to a long haired breed like a persian.

HungryBird

I didn't realize it varied so much. I think shelter cats in NYC are maybe $25 or $50 and I have a feeling they sometimes offer special deals for people who take two bonded cats. Not sure though. I know almost any cat or dog you adopt from a shelter has all their shots and are fixed. The only exceptions I've heard of are when the animal is too young or has a health condition. It's terrible because people are always giving away cats for free on Craigslist.

Status
Not open for further replies.