• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pure yellow feathers on eclectus

tyguy35

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Tyler
F1BB6D2D-FD17-4285-85D1-FB0C275F2350.jpeg 565EA8FD-C2B9-4137-9D51-1E358715AD55.jpeg F1BB6D2D-FD17-4285-85D1-FB0C275F2350.jpeg Hello,recently Zeus has been going through a long molt. He is 1 year and 2 months old. He was taken in by my fiancé and I when he was about 6 months old. When we took him in he had plucked most of his belly and chest feathers. He was also never handled or even let out of his cage. Most of his belly and cheesy feathers have completely grown back perfectly.

In the past few days he has grown some pure yellow feathers. Not just in areas where he has possibly Barbared or plucked. 4 medium feather are yellow and a few small ones on his head are yellow. Can anyone help me understand what is going on. Or if I need to add something to his diet to help him. Or even if it’s a lack of sunlight due to my house being to dark. (Currently have a bird bulb on order)

Thank you
Tyler

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
He's beautiful! I'm glad he's not plucking anymore. :) I am curious about his yellow feathers as well. Very interesting and pretty.

Zoepr143

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Zoë
I love the pictures, he is so handsome !:loveshower:

tyguy35

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Tyler
He was about 4 months ago when he was going through the plucking issue and barbering. Vet assured me it was a stress issue from the old owners and the move to a new home.

Sarahmoluccan

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sarah
He was about 4 months ago when he was going through the plucking issue and barbering. Vet assured me it was a stress issue from the old owners and the move to a new home.
You might want to go to the vets again. Did you have any bloodwork done last time? I'm not an expert but when I see colour changes I tend to think vitamin deficiency. It's not always the case but it could be that.

I'm glad Zeus is no longer picking. I wish you and him all the best :)

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
He's gorgeous! I hope the yellow feathers don’t mean anything negative, and I’m glad he’s not plucking anymore!

Ella.pi

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
It could be caused by vitamin dificiency or liver problems etc. it's always safer to take your bird for a thorough health check and testing when you notice a change in feathers. I hope he turns out to be fine! he could have been plucking because of an umbalanced diet when you got him.

tyguy35

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Tyler
When I got him the owners never removed him from his cage or gave him any interaction. They were both lawyers. They were never home. They use to turn the radio on and leave.

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
:( Poor fella. So glad he came to you.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Eclectus can have some very sensitive feathers. More sensitive than other species. A change in feather coloration could be due to diet, supplements, medications, stress, plucking, liver failure, metal toxicity or any other number of reasons.

I know someone with a female eclectus. When she was sick and on medications, she was also going through a molt. Well, the meds caused several of her new feathers to come in yellow.. she had a slight "freckle" appearance to her. After her next molt, she returned to normal coloration!

So unfortunately, none of us can say exactly why it's occuring.

BirdGuy21

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jake
Just going to recommend a vet visit with bloodwork for your boy. Feather discoloration can be the result of many different things, so it's better safe than sorry.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Agreed that eclectus feathering is very sensitive! What kind of diet is he on right now?

issajoy

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Melissa
This used to happen with my mother's eclectuses - the vet suggested she switch the pellets she was giving them. She had been feeding them the Zupreme eclectus pellets, that were dyed different colors. He said that the food colorings could be messing with the feather coloring... she switched to Harrisons (no added colors) and all feathers came in normal again!