1. Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures Pukaha Wildlife Sanctuary, Mount Bruce NZ

Discussion in 'The Zoological Park' started by LunaLovebird, 12/23/16.

1. LunaLovebird

LunaLovebird Rollerblading along the road Avenue Spotlight Award I'm a SECRET SANTA - Are you? Shutterbugs' Best

My boyfriend surprised me with a small trip within my holiday to the Wairarapa in NZ, and took me to a wildlife sanctuary there called Pukaha. Pukaha Mount Bruce

It is predominantly birds, and is situated in a forest that they use as a sanctuary and release site for native birds. They do a lot of work in reestablishing populations of the more endangered birds, such as the takahe. They have a few advocacy birds in aviaries, but there are huge populations of some pretty neat birds flying around wild. I loved it.

My favourite bird, the kokako. I didn't get any great photos of her because I was distracted with playing with her, but o found a video with her whistles and talking (she can say kokako in her sweet little voice) with the man who raised her as a chick on YouTube. Apparently they imprint so strongly on humans if raised be them, that they can't ever really be released in the wild, to the point where this girl even got stressed out when they tried to give her a friend. She was super friendly, and would hop (they aren't great fliers because of their smallish wings) over to you and let you give her scritches. :xflove:

image.jpeg

New Zealand wood pigeon. I've seen these in the wild a lot in NZ. They're such little fatties, it's amazing they can fly at all.

image.jpeg

Antipodes parakeet. There were about 6 of them playing around when I was there.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Kākā parrot. These guys were wild parrots that had stopped by for a scheduled feeding that the sanctuary does with bits of corn. Not as many as usually because the girls were all nesting. Very cheeky things!

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Kakariki. The had orange and red capped ones in some aviaries.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

2. WendyN

WendyN Rollerblading along the road Celebirdy of the Month Santa Coco ROCKS the SOCKS

Wendy
    Have you met a Kakapo?

SandraK likes this.
  3. LunaLovebird

LunaLovebird Rollerblading along the road Avenue Spotlight Award I'm a SECRET SANTA - Are you? Shutterbugs' Best

No, they're not easy birds to spot or meet. They're super shy. Kea, on the other hand...

Sarahmoluccan and SandraK like this.
  4. SandraK

SandraK Joyriding the Neighborhood Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran I'm a SECRET SANTA - Are you?

Sandra
    Are the keas the ones that can strip the rubber and windshield wipers off your car? The Kākā reminded me of the kea because of their beak.

expressmailtome likes this.
  5. LunaLovebird

Yep, that's the one. Kakapo I think are more forest dwelling nocturnal things, and they tend to stay away from where people are. Kākā and kea are much more brazen.

6. Tyrion

Tyrion Rollerblading along the road Celebirdy of the Month I'm a SECRET SANTA - Are you?

Annette Thompson
    Beautiful pics :fairy:

7. expressmailtome

expressmailtome Ripping up the road Administrator Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran

Matthew
    Those are great pictures!

8. SandraK

SandraK Joyriding the Neighborhood Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran I'm a SECRET SANTA - Are you?

Sandra
    The most memorable kakapo video was from the BBc when one met, fell in love with and tried to shag (make love to) the cameraman.

Sarahmoluccan likes this.
  9. WendyN

WendyN Rollerblading along the road Celebirdy of the Month Santa Coco ROCKS the SOCKS

Wendy
    That was funny. Sirocco is the Kakapo in thAt video.
    Barbara Heidenreich Has a video in which she teaches him to station. Also a video of her visit to Sirocco's natural habitat.

SandraK likes this.
  10. WendyN

Wendy
    The wood pidgeon is awesome.

SandraK likes this.
  11. Sarahmoluccan

Sarahmoluccan Rollerblading along the road Celebirdy of the Month Avenue Spotlight Award I'm a SECRET SANTA - Are you? I Can't Stop Posting!

Sarah
    Wonderful pictures!! Thanks for sharing :)

12. Charity921

Charity921 Meeting neighbors

Charity
    Hamilton Zoo in Hamilton NZ has some wonderful birds, as well. And very friendly! IMG_2487.JPG IMG_2492.JPG IMG_2493.JPG

Sarahmoluccan, TikiMyn and SandraK like this.
  13. SandraK

Sandra
    Kea? Beautiful bird and so naughty from the YouTube videos I've seen. Great pix though I think I'd be a little leery of that beak. But the second photo looks like a different bird or is it just the angle?

14. WallyLoopey

WallyLoopey Rollerblading along the road Avenue Veteran I'm a SECRET SANTA - Are you?

Kate
    Beautiful pics!

Charity921 likes this.
  15. Charity921

Charity921 Meeting neighbors

Charity
    The first pic was a hand raised Kea named Charlie. He wanted lots of attention, and came right to us, but I was too intimidated by that beak to do more than barely touch his head (which he offered quite freely, then immediately turned to explore with his tongue. No thanks!)

The last pic was a Kaka, and was in the free flight aviary. He was quite personable, and I'm told was a sucker for perfume. He loved to groom hair and then spread any scent he could glean into his feathers.

Sadly, I have no idea about the little green fellow, who was also in the aviary. He was sitting on the railing of the walkway, so when I got close, he hopped right up on my arm.

16. SandraK

Sandra
    Sounds like the Kaka has figured out how to attract the ladies by smelling "handsome". :heart:

Charity921 likes this.
  17. TikiMyn

TikiMyn Jogging around the block

Robin
    This is awesome! Such Great pictures! It is so lovely that you get to see the wild parrots and other birds so close:heart: how I would love to volunteer at that sanctuary:rolleyes:

Charity921 and SandraK like this.
  18. Archiesmom

Archiesmom Biking along the boulevard Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Veteran

Natalie
    :omg:
    So beautiful!

Charity921 and SandraK like this.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)