• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Puddles is my pretty bird, something is wrong!!!

Rachell mo

Checking out the neighborhood
Please help! I have hand raised a baby grackle. I found him in a parking lot after a storm learning in a puddle of water. He is about 5 1/2 months old. He is usually a little prankster and always bossy. He imprinted and won't go be a grackle. He insists on being at my side. This morning when I lifted his blanket off his cage I knew something was wrong. When he jumped down from his perch he fell on his side. At first he just laid there, I helped him back on his feet but he's seemed very weak. He fell twice more. He has moved very slow since then. It seems like he is in pain. His legs are very weak and unsteady. He isn't singing and is drinking so much water. He is eating and moving around. He gets on my hand and wants to just puff up and stay .

Yesterday he flew to me while I was eating and stole some food. He flew back to his cage and smashed right into it. I helped him up and he wanted in his cage. He didn't seem to have any issues yesterday. But he's has a village on his upper chest like where his craw is.

Please I don't have a vet, it is illegal to have him as a pet where I live. I only intended on raising him and letting him go, but he refuses to leave so he is mine, or I am his however he sees it. I don't know what to do besides pay close attention to him and try to keep him from feeling alone. He seems to be more peaceful sitting in my hand. I have fallen in love with this bird and do not want to see him in pain and I don't want to lose him.

Please someone, anyone help!!!

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
I suggest contacting a local wildlife rescue to see if they can help your bird in some way if you can’t see a vet. It really sounds to me like your bird is in need of some experienced help.

I’m struggling to think of who to tag for help here, maybe @Zara or @Mizzely might know.

Rachell mo

Checking out the neighborhood
I suggest contacting a local wildlife rescue to see if they can help your bird in some way if you can’t see a vet. It really sounds to me like your bird is in need of some experienced help.

I’m struggling to think of who to tag for help here, maybe @Zara or @Mizzely might know.
Thank you, I am going to try to make calls in a few hours after things open for the day. The bad thing is when I initially found him I contacted several places and they they all turned me away. Seems like grackles are a nuisance and over populated. They basically told me to put him back and let nature do its job. One place said they were full and they would put him down.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I'm not sure what else to do for him either. There are so many possibilities here. Nutritional deficiency, seizure, stroke...

Any zoos or wildlife parks near you? Also have you tried to call the vets? Sometimes they will still help even if it's technically illegal.

melissasparrots

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'm sorry I can't help. You really just need a vet. It could be bacterial, parasitic or nutritional. I just don't know. All would require different treatment.