• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Psittavet injection experience

Thongjy

Moving in
Real Name
Daniel
My sun conure was previously not eating and drinking with vomiting twice. Was lethargy and sleepy.

Vet gave a Psittavet injection which is a form of antibiotics and need to have weekly injection.

Would like to ask for others who had experience your bird taking such injection how fast does the condition of the bird improve over time? This would help me to monitor if this injection is actually helping. Thanks.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Oh gosh I wish I could help but I've never heard of this being done at my clinic. Let me tag @Milo And maybe @Macawnutz ?

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
I'm not familiar with the brand, can you share the antibiotics in it?

It's really helpful to support sick birds with supplement warmth , I prefer radiant heater and use the sweeter heater bird safe found in Amazon.

It's also important to support with calories as duck birds burn twice as much to much more base calories when sick. Even if still have good appetite might not be able to get enough. So often increase seeds , maybe try baby bird formula made thicker and see if will take mixed in with their pellets , from you fingers or in its own dish .

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
A helpful member shared that this is a doxycycline antibiotic injection. It's likely you are treating for avian Chlamydia?

I had the unfortunate experience of my whole flock of 7 mixed species parrots coming down with this. While we used oral doxycycline, instead of injection, reading seems both are used. We did the oral for 45 days then I had to repeat , and then do an extended treatment for the budgies. All are fully recovered now. This was a couple of years ago.

They responded differently, but most took a week to really start showing clear signs of improving. I think my vet said it would take about 4 days to start seeing improvement...My very sick( near deaths door ) old lady bird took a month , she was improving but she needed a lot of support, I had to hand feed her 4 times a day for a month then still support feed her I'm thinking at least another month .

Definitely keep communicating with your veterinarian. We had to tweak things when I treated mine .

Also recommend weigh daily , first thing in the morning after first poop. Tracking weight was a great tool in evaluating my birds response. Initially they had all lost weight prior to treatment, stabilized, then slow steady weight gain back . Those thst didn't hit tweaked. Then after the first round , weights started dropping slowly, and budgie hit green stool again and we did the next round .

I hope your baby gets better soon. Support them , log weight and symptoms, keep communicating with your veterinarian, and keep us updated. It's so stressful having a sick bird

Thongjy

Moving in
Real Name
Daniel
A helpful member shared that this is a doxycycline antibiotic injection. It's likely you are treating for avian Chlamydia?

I had the unfortunate experience of my whole flock of 7 mixed species parrots coming down with this. While we used oral doxycycline, instead of injection, reading seems both are used. We did the oral for 45 days then I had to repeat , and then do an extended treatment for the budgies. All are fully recovered now. This was a couple of years ago.

They responded differently, but most took a week to really start showing clear signs of improving. I think my vet said it would take about 4 days to start seeing improvement...My very sick( near deaths door ) old lady bird took a month , she was improving but she needed a lot of support, I had to hand feed her 4 times a day for a month then still support feed her I'm thinking at least another month .

Definitely keep communicating with your veterinarian. We had to tweak things when I treated mine .

Also recommend weigh daily , first thing in the morning after first poop. Tracking weight was a great tool in evaluating my birds response. Initially they had all lost weight prior to treatment, stabilized, then slow steady weight gain back . Those thst didn't hit tweaked. Then after the first round , weights started dropping slowly, and budgie hit green stool again and we did the next round .

I hope your baby gets better soon. Support them , log weight and symptoms, keep communicating with your veterinarian, and keep us updated. It's so stressful having a sick bird
Hi so when was the injection used on this case?

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
How is your bird doing?