• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Psittacosis in Budgie

rockybird

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
  • I think if she is getting worse, you should call the vet immediately. This is a very serious disease with health implications for yourself and your family. Do you know how they contracted the disease? I also wonder if you should be on antibiotics. I am very sorry you are going through this, but I hope you know that you did nothing wrong. From this article, it appears she will have to be on antibiotics long term and you will need to sterilize everything.
Psittacosis | Parrot Fever

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I posted this earlier but will post again because I didn't see a reply.
Were any diagnostics done on Lotus besides a visual exam and/or basing the diagnosis off of Sulphur's diagnosis?

MajesticOcelol

Walking the driveway
@MajesticOcelol are you still here?
Yeah, I'm still here. Sorry, I didn't really know how to reply. I was struggling to make a decision.

I posted this earlier but will post again because I didn't see a reply.
Were any diagnostics done on Lotus besides a visual exam and/or basing the diagnosis off of Sulphur's diagnosis?
No, not since I had her vet tested the first time (within the 1st week I got her).
It's quite clear she caught it, though. She's doing the same things Sulphur was; sitting fluffed up on the perch, tail bobbing constantly, usually quite lethargic.
She does burst into life when she hears the birds outside.
Like Sulphur, she's still eating. She cleaned a spray of millet today. :)

I'm hopeful for her recovery.
I'm giving her antibiotics orally, and last night she started making squeaking noises after I gave them to her, has this happened to anyone before?
Gave me a real fright, I was worried I put them down her windpipe. She's back to normal again though, now.

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
You can call the avian vet who you can't get to and ask if they would do a consult with your current vet. That might get you the doxy faster. This is a very contagious disease that humans can get, so you don't really want to take her on a train or anywhere else. Good luck!

MajesticOcelol

Walking the driveway
You can call the avian vet who you can't get to and ask if they would do a consult with your current vet. That might get you the doxy faster. This is a very contagious disease that humans can get, so you don't really want to take her on a train or anywhere else. Good luck!
Yeah, I was phoning up avian vets yesterday. One helped me set up a consultation, and another spoke with me and said baytril was a good first plan of action when I questioned it.

kitsunebandit

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
I have had psittacosis hit my flock in the past and it is not nice. I didn't understand how important quarantine was and it was my own fault. I had to have a few birds from my aviaries euthanised and had to treat my entire flock. To clear it up you're looking at 6 weeks of doxy and retesting again after 3 months. It is essential that you get it treated as has already been said above, your family and yourself will be at risk. Clean everything with F10 and then buy yourself a an F10 fogger for when it's over. You can buy F10 products from Scarlett's Parrot Essentials (I'm unsure if they still have the fogger) if you're in the UK

This is the cleaner I use - F10SC RTU Trigger Spray 1 Litre | scarletts parrot

I found the fogger too - F10 Products Disinfectant Aerosol Fogger

I hope that helps. Good luck and I hope she makes a swift recovery!

MajesticOcelol

Walking the driveway
I have had psittacosis hit my flock in the past and it is not nice. I didn't understand how important quarantine was and it was my own fault. I had to have a few birds from my aviaries euthanised and had to treat my entire flock. To clear it up you're looking at 6 weeks of doxy and retesting again after 3 months. It is essential that you get it treated as has already been said above, your family and yourself will be at risk. Clean everything with F10 and then buy yourself a an F10 fogger for when it's over. You can buy F10 products from Scarlett's Parrot Essentials (I'm unsure if they still have the fogger) if you're in the UK

This is the cleaner I use - F10SC RTU Trigger Spray 1 Litre | scarletts parrot

I found the fogger too - F10 Products Disinfectant Aerosol Fogger

I hope that helps. Good luck and I hope she makes a swift recovery!
Oh, wow, thank you for all the help. I'm sorry about your flock.
I'll get a fogger.