• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Psittacosis in Budgie

MajesticOcelol

Walking the driveway
I need help urgently.
I had a little rescue budgie who passed away last Saturday and we had to have post-mortem tests done on her to ensure if something happened to my other budgie, Lotus, we'd be able to save her.

Tests came back saying she died from/had psittacosis. How likely is it Lotus has it now? They shared a cage for about 4 days. (I should have quarantined them, I'm aware. I already feel incredibly guilty)
The vet wants me to bring her in so they can put her to sleep!
Surely this isn't how it has to be, I've read it's treatable!
She's been on baytril since last Saturday and she has been showing tail bobbing and fluffing up.
How is it treated, exactly. I need to know everything and anything I can to convince the vet to treat her.
Please, I love her so much.
They said she won't get any better on the antibiotics we've got for her, which they've also said is the strongest antibiotic for birds they possess. Surely they could order the antibiotics needed in?
They said they'd look into it and discuss it with me when I took her down, but I don't feel hopeful that they're going to do anything but recommend they put her down.
She's under 4 months, she's got so much left to live. Surely there's some way to save her.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
The first thing you need to know is that Psittacosis is Zoonotic (can be transmitted from your bird to you.) You need to take measures to guard against contracting the disease. Wear a mask and gloves when handling the bird and some sort of covering clothing. Used only for handling the bird.

There are some places in the US where it is mandatory that a vet put a bird down when it is diagnosed with Psittacosis. DO NOT BRING ANOTHER BIRD INTO YOUR HOUSE UNTIL THIS OCCURRENCE IS COMPLETELY SETTLED AND YOU HAVE DISINFECTED YOUR HOME.

Here is a short explanation of Psittacosis; Psittacosis (Parrot Fever): Symptoms, Diagnosis, Treatment, and Prevention

Her is a longer,but much more thorough article about Psittacosis - I recommend you read it; Parrot Fever (Psittacosis) in birds | Long Beach Animal Hospital

Doxycycline is the preferred antibiotic for Psittacosis.

MajesticOcelol

Walking the driveway
I'm not in the US. Thank you so much for the information.
We got her more baytril antibiotics (I brought up changing to doxycycline and the vet said it was the first antibiotic that would usually be used to treat the disease, but if it didn't work they would move onto baytril, so didn't see it beneficial to change it)
We've been given some to give oral instead of in her water.
I'll read all the information you gave, once again, thank you very much.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I'm so sorry for your loss and am sending good wishes to you and your other budgie.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
A bath will do no harm and maybe make her feel better. Of course, don't let her get chilled.

ode.to.parrots

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Cary
I am so, so sorry... I really hope that the medicine works and that Lotus recovers... Unfortunately, I don't know very much about Psittacosis beyond the resources already provided for you. I wish there was something I could do to help. :(

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
:sadhug2:

LunaLovebird

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
I don't know how effective baytril is against psittacosis. A quick Google search indicates that it clears symptoms, but doesn't clear infection very well. I would suggest switching to doxycycline ASAP, as this is known to work. Importantly, it is perfectly treatable and you shouldn't need to euthanise.

You will need to F10 (disinfect) everything your other bird was around or touched. Throw out any toys you can't soak.

MajesticOcelol

Walking the driveway
"Currently, there has been success in the treatment of psittacosis using the newer quinolone antibiotics, such as enrofloxacin ('Baytril'). This drug is more palatable and stable in the drinking water, and the injectable form is less likely to produce muscle damage than are the tetracyclines. It appears also that cure rates may be obtained in 14-21 days.However, there is evidence to suggest that apparent 'cures' are in fact just clinical improvements with the birds still remaining infected acting as carriers."
Psittacosis | Parrot Fever

:cry:
I give up... These vets are useless with birds.
I want to go get different antibiotics but I spent all the money I have at the moment on the baytril. It was 4 weeks worth...

Does this basically mean it won't work?

MajesticOcelol

Walking the driveway
Can I get a refund and hand what's left of the baytril back in? We only used one day's worth so far (0.04ml)

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
No. It is illegal for a vet to take back any medications. The only thing you can do is donate it to an overseas 501 c (3) organization and take a tax deduction. I recommend that you keep it - it stays viable for a long, long time - for use in the future.

Since the fluoroquinolones (Baytril) hold the Psittacosis at bay, you could continue to give it and when you get enough money together again get the Doxy.

Have you looked into Care Credit? https://www.carecredit.com/vetmed/?...PGR881-8_wJszPnPDJNBdGGHeYyrnKLRoCxBsQAvD_BwE Many of our members use it.

Featheredfuffs

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pearl
I am so terribly sorry... I sincerely hope you don't have to put Lotus to sleep. I can't imagine being in the situation you're in.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Are your vets avian vets, not just a vet that treats some birds? If you let us know where you live, we can help you find another vet and possibly get recommendations from members.

Don't give up yet - there is a solution out there.

It doesn't mean that the Baytril absolutely won't work. It means that there has been evidence that some birds are not cleared of Psittacosis and remain infected, but not clinical, with the bacteria. I think it's worth while to continue the Baytril regimen to give you time.

Make sure you keep up with good supportive care and that he eats (or you feed him) and he drinks, stays warm and is as quiet as possible. Keep everything very clean and disinfected. And don't forget to care for yourself - it is zoonotic.

MajesticOcelol

Walking the driveway
They're not Avian vets, no.
As much as I truly wish I could take her to an avian vet, I don't have the means to do so. The closest one would likely be in Edinburgh or Glasgow. Which is 2 8 hour train trips from me just to get there. I live hundreds of miles away from there.
Should I be disinfecting the room she's being kept in?
Is it likely even if the baytril works she'll still be infectious?
She's been eating, I've not seen her drink since I got her, but she must be drinking at some point or she wouldn't have survived...

My whole family is pressuring me to put her to sleep. This is so hard to keep fighting, especially when the vets give me something that might not cure her...
I don't want to lose her. :(

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Don't fight your family - just remain silent and care for her. Of course, you don't want to lose her and there is no reason for you to lose her unless she is very, very ill. Keep on with the Baytril until you can afford the Doxy - keep up with her supportive care.

If you can get the F-10 fogger in Scotland buy one (the small one 100ml) and use it. You should be using F-10SC for washing and disinfecting everything else. I believe F-10 is readily available there. Read the label for the correct dilution and use the correct dilution - not more.

It's difficult, but life in general is difficult. Just stay determined and take care of her and take care of yourself - because you can catch Psittacosis.

Lwalker

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Lori
I don't know if this has mentioned but you should notify the breeder that you got Sulphur from right away. Part or all of their flock may be infected.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I hope that Lotus will be OK. Did she have any diagnostics done?
Sending positive thoughts your way.

MajesticOcelol

Walking the driveway
I went to go give her her medication for the day. I think she's getting worse.
I'm going to phone an avian vet tomorrow to ask for their opinion on treating psittacosis with baytril, and if they say it should be doxycycline I'm not sure what I'm going to do.
I was okay to medicate her when she was lively and active and showing very minor signs of illness, but it's starting to become clear the baytril isn't working now, and I'm beginning to panic.
Is it selfish to make her suffer?
I don't know what the right judgement is. I can see positives and negatives to putting her to sleep, likewise with medicating her.

I went to the doctors yesterday, they say I'm showing no symptoms yet.

I just feel so awful I didn't quarantine Sulphur. Lotus didn't need to suffer and it's my fault. :/

@Lwalker She was a rescue, I'm not in contact with the breeder who had her first. I notified the breeder I got her from (the one who rescued her).

enigma731

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
I personally would not want to euthanize a bird with a treatable illness until I had tried the recommended treatment. I don't think treating them with medications is making them suffer. At worst it's a temporary unpleasantness that will return them to a good state of health. Of course, you know your bird best and it's your decision.