• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Psittacosis Carriers

LunaLovebird

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Both birds had a checkup at the vet yesterday. Everything went well, with both birds looking pretty great, clean fecal swabs, etc.

We got a second immunicomb done because of the psittacosis diagnosis last year (this was a few months after I got Ani from the RSPCA,who was the only one to comeback positive). The vet was expecting that his result would probably be positive, but should hopefully be lower on the scale. Unfortunately, I got a call today to say that it was higher and so he is a carrier for the disease.

I'm very worried now about Luna catching it. She was still negative, but that of course could change. Currently both birds live in separate cages, but they have joint out time. Sometimes Anakin regurgitates for her, and they do sometimes mate. I can stop them from doing this easily enough, but I'm not sure what else I can do to help minimise the risk save removing him to another room entirely (which I don't want to do as they enjoy each other's company).

Does any one else have a carrier bird or have any tips? I will probably need to start being more vigilant with the F10.

Bleh.

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
That's so hard... :hug5:

I'm sure there is nothing I can say that you don't already know. It's going to be a risk no matter what you do. Cleaner is better, less contact is better. All things I'm sure you know.

LunaLovebird

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Thank you. I'm working on a plan to make things a bit easier and keep everything sparkling.

Is it weird that after a year of living in each other's company that Luna is still negative for the disease? It seems odd to me.

I feel terrible for basically guaranteeing that Luna is going to catch it at some point. And Anakin is such a sweet, beautiful little guy. It doesn't seem fair they have to have this lingering over them.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Maybe not, maybe with free use of the F10 and close attention to cleanliness she won't. I know you will do the very best you can for both of them.

Aubrey

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
:sadhug2::sadhug2::sadhug2:

TWR

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
I'm so sorry that you're going through this. I wish I had advice for you, but I don't have any experience to share. (((Big Hugs)))

LunaLovebird

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Thank you all.

I've now established what I hope will be a working routine. I may have to buy stocks in F10. I mop with it most days now. One step away from bathing in the stuff.

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
You can bathe in it. :D I assure you it's okay. :laugh:

..... let's not talk about how I know that. :shy:

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
I will also remind you that I use it in my washing machine and carpet cleaner. It's great stuff to work with. :)