• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Prospective Macaw Parent

Scheherazade

Checking out the neighborhood
Hello, everyone. I’m brand new to the forum, and have some (probably silly, definitely vague) questions.

To begin, I do not currently, nor have I ever had a macaw, but I have been keenly interested in sharing my life with these lovely little creatures since I was in my early teens. Fast forward 20 years, and I’m finally at a place in my life where I’m financially capable of sustaining one, and feel very much able to devote the proper amount of time and care that these animals need to flourish...so where do I begin?

I would much prefer to adopt than shop, but I am not wholey opposed to purchasing from a responsible breeder. I’m in the north eastern U.S., and have been browsing adoptables and ones for sale, but is there a specific rescue or breeder anyone could recommend? Also, would any of you know of a good, one-stop for all your macaw rearing needs info site? I’ve been nipping info here & there from different places over the years (and also some first hand knowledge from experienced macaw owners), but I’d love to have a good compendium to reference as I learn the ropes. Lastly, if there’s anything anyone simply wants to throw out there to guide me, I’m all ears and appreciate the direction. I want to be as prepared as possible when I welcome one into my home and life.

Thanks for taking the time out to read this and advise, everyone.

Jenphilly

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
Congrats on doing lots of homework first!

You mention northeast, but that's a pretty wide range of area... I am in PA, and there are multiple rescues in PA, NJ and NY (petfinder can help you find who is closest to home). I was an Adoption Coordinator for many years for a large parrot rescue and speaking from that experience and knowledge, when it comes to macaw, you really want to adopt... but truly more than probably maybe species - you want the macaw to pick you. If you have a rescue near you, start to volunteer, there is no better source of information, experience and knowledge than living with them even for a few hours at a time once a week or couple times a month. And during that volunteer time, if they have the macaw that is meant to be your best friend, they will let you know who they are.

You can do a search for my posts and videos of Max, he is a blue and gold that decided I was his mom... and I never wanted a macaw, had no interest, but when we met, he made it pretty clear, he was coming home with me, even if it meant stowing away in the trunk of the car, one way or another, I was his mom. And tho I never wanted one, four years later (this month actually), I have to say he was totally correct, he is somewhere between a puppy and another child I never wanted (my human child is 27).... We have an amazing relationship I never imagined and I would never have sought out or asked for... I always joked I was not a macaw person, and if you see all the Max posts and videos, I've been teased about 'so you're not a macaw person', and my very accurate answer is that I'm not a macaw person, I'm a Max person! He could have been any size, color or species, it was him...

My daughter more recently, just a few months ago, adopted a blue and gold as well, same thing, they became best buddies at the shelter and it was clear Titan was her bird. With both birds, we are able to handle our own macaw in ways that no other person can without there being bloodshed :) The absolute best advice when thinking of a macaw is letting an adult macaw pick you! I know people with years and years of macaw and parrot experience, one specifically that got the macaw of her dreams as a baby, and now that he is past sexual maturity, he has picked another person as his 'chosen one'.... Much like a child growing up, you're wonderful but once they are ready to date, they want to pick their own mate / companion, and painfully too many times you hear the story of the macaw 'turning' on the family or person... when reality, the macaw just reached adulthood and is looking for 'their person', way too often the reason why macaws are surrendered is because the bird 'changed'.... Titan was transferred to the shelter we were involved with from another public / SPCA type shelter and he had been dubbed aggressive, bitey and hard to handle, but if you look at videos of my daughter picking him up with him literally holding onto her finger, or flipping him on his back and he lies there looking at her, and within days of being home she was teaching him to 'flip', he drops from her hand swinging upside down onto the palm of her other hand.

Anyway, I am babbling... my point - find a rescue near you, volunteer or visit several times... and the right macaw will let you know who they are :) And a side note, don't be shocked if you go looking to meet macaws and end up connecting with an Amazon... that happens way too often too! I am a great example of that! My advice I always gave adopters, go into meeting birds with an open mind and heart and let the right bird pick you!!

Look forward to hearing how your adventure goes!

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Jenphilly, is right let the bird pick you or if a bird comes along that needs saving, get him/her and save it. Macaws need lots of room. They are a big bird. the largest cages you can afford and lots of outside time.

I have had two macaws that have been seriously chronically ill and one of the birds was sick because of the diet it was on for six years before I got her. Study how to properly feed one and you will have a happier, more healthy bird. The people on this forum feed their birds better than any others I have seen. A good pellet, lots of fresh vegetables, some grains and few fruits are the very basics. The best pellets (IMO) are Harrison's, Rowdybush, Lafebers and a very few others. reate a relationship with a GOOD avian vet right away. When there is an emergency is not the time to find a vet.

I'm confident that you will love having a macaw, with all the ups and downs, and you will be an excellent parent.

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
when we met, he made it pretty clear, he was coming home with me, even if it meant stowing away in the trunk of the car
:coffeescreen:

or if a bird comes along that needs saving, get him/her and save it.
Like @Jenphilly, we were not macaw people. We posted a Craigslist ad that we were looking to adopt a small to medium sized parrot. I got a reply that said, "This might be a little bigger than you were looking for..." and there were pics of this huge bird. :scared3: I deleted that email immediately! Turns out, the owner was going though a divorce, didn't have time for him and was not going to be able to renew her lease until she rehomed him. He was certainly not what we were looking for, but she was determined to get rid of him as quickly as she could & we were worried where he might end up if we said no. Even if we weren't his forever home we knew we could at least make sure he went to a safe, loving home instead of some parrot flipper.

Last edited:

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Welcome! Most rescues will only adopt out within a certain geographic area. So if you're comfortable telling us more specifically where you're located we may be able to suggest some places. A lot of us here are involved in rescues. If you've never been around/handled a macaw I strongly suggest finding a rescue and spending time with some.

Mansion75

Meeting neighbors
Go to a local pet store that has macaws and spend some time with them
Also just don't get the " best price". Older Macaws can be selective in who they like. The " best price" may be the worst experience for both of you.

Also young macaws go through hormonal changes as they get older. So in 5 years sweet little Ringo may turn into " 50 shades of grey" ringo and get aggressive.

That's why I like older macaws that need a good home. If your patient, you can get a great companion that has already went though most of his " changes" But I do stress, patience and find one that's a good match

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Welcome to AA.

I quite often have the different opinion. ;)

I have never had a macaw "pick" me. In fact, if I would have only brought one home that did.... I would have no birds at all.

Macaws can take forever to trust someone. I supposed any parrot can. Some of my most bonded loving birds hated my guts at first impressions. ;) That's okay too.

Patience, giving choices, treats and overall treating them with respect. :)

Mansion75

Meeting neighbors
:wideyed: Everyone has different experiences. Our B and G pretty much did pick my wife. He was being rehomed at a local aviary and was the terror of the flock.

A couple employees did good with him but most in the store didn't want to handle him.

He was very aggressive. We went by a few times a visited ( not planning on getting such an aggressive macaw). After a few times he started paying a lot of attention to my wife. He wasn't aggressive with her and would step up. We decided to take him home and in a short time he started acting like a big baby with my wife.

Ive never seen a millions dollars, but it doesn't mean it's not real. Just speaking from what I've seen.

Mansion75

Meeting neighbors
I did a post asking about bonding behavior :geek: I need some different opinions there also:dance4:

Scheherazade

Checking out the neighborhood
Thank you so much for the advice everyone! I didn’t expect to receive such thoughtful and personal answers - I’m so happy that I did.

To answer a question many of you asked, I’m located in upstate NY, near the capital region. I’ve not found many rescues terribly close, though there is one 3 hours away in CT that I’ve considered contacting and visiting during a weekend so I could enjoy some time with macaws in need. I’m nervous about finding “my bird”, or rather nervous that one won’t deem me “their human”, but I tend to do quite well with animals, so I suppose I’m just overthinking it.

Again, thank you for the advice everyone, and I’ll be checking in periodically to let you know how my adventure is going, eventually posting pictures when I bring a little one home at long last.

Jenphilly

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
Thank you so much for the advice everyone! I didn’t expect to receive such thoughtful and personal answers - I’m so happy that I did.

To answer a question many of you asked, I’m located in upstate NY, near the capital region. I’ve not found many rescues terribly close, though there is one 3 hours away in CT that I’ve considered contacting and visiting during a weekend so I could enjoy some time with macaws in need. I’m nervous about finding “my bird”, or rather nervous that one won’t deem me “their human”, but I tend to do quite well with animals, so I suppose I’m just overthinking it.

Again, thank you for the advice everyone, and I’ll be checking in periodically to let you know how my adventure is going, eventually posting pictures when I bring a little one home at long last.

I'm not terribly familiar with NY.... but Jimmy J's is in Binghamton and if you're near Rochester Lollipop Farms Humane Society often has macaws.... ironically that is where my daughter's Titan was transferred down from. Just search Titan and you'll find videos of him from the Super Bird contest we just had in the group back in February, Titan had literally just came home when that started.... but anyway, if Rochester is near, call them to see who they might have!

TWR

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Welcome to AA.

I quite often have the different opinion. ;)

I have never had a macaw "pick" me. In fact, if I would have only brought one home that did.... I would have no birds at all.

Macaws can take forever to trust someone. I supposed any parrot can. Some of my most bonded loving birds hated my guts at first impressions. ;) That's okay too.

Patience, giving choices, treats and overall treating them with respect. :)
That’s the same for me. If I’d waited to be picked, I’d have no birds. That includes my heart Bird. Didn’t like me at all for several months and then became like Velcro