• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

pros/cons of bird harnesses?

henschelke

Strolling the yard
hi! I will be getting my pineapple GCC two weeks from tomorrow. I am thinking of purchasing a bird harness but im still not sure about all of the pros/cons. What are everyone's thoughts on bird harnesses? And what is a good brand if I decide to get one? Thank you! :)

Last edited:

Cockatoo-Dust

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Skylar
Pros:
  • You can take your bird outside safely, and if your bird takes off you won't have to worry about him flying away.
  • You can take him to a pet shop or a store that allows pets.
  • Good socialization for the bird if you go somewhere with people.

Cons:

• Usually with a smaller bird like the one you're getting, the harness is too bulky for them.
  • It's harder to take harnesses off of the bird than it is to put it on.

Aviator is a good brand. It's not the cheapest out there but the price is well worth it!
I have one for my U2, and it hasn't been destroyed yet ;)

If you feel the need, you can go on Amazon.com and read the reviews on it.
Here is the link for an Aviator harness on Amazon.
Amazon.com : Aviator Harness and Leash - Petite Blue : Pet Halter Harnesses : Pet Supplies

henschelke

Strolling the yard
@Cockatoo-Dust perfect! That would be nice to take my birdie outside. I know vitamin d from the sun is good for them! I'll most likely get one. Hopefully people who have tried one with gccs will comment to explain if it fit their bird or not. Thanks for the help!

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
A word of warning. Don't be stressing out a brand new bird by trying to get a harness on it before you have established your relationship with this bird and there is some trust built up. That is going to take time (6 months to a year).

You don't want to wreck your chance at a good relationship before you have it. There is no "rush" to do anything except "earn" that relationship.

Doublete

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Katie
My gcc was a baby when I got him.
I have an aviator for him and we have gone on excursions. It's kind of a pain in the butt to put on and take off.
I started the aviator training 3 weeks into having him.

NeuroticAlpaca

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Alexandra
I agree with everyone here. I just started really focusing on harness training with my two since I didnt have the money to buy one previously, but I've been putting them in one since thorin was about a month old. I think the most important thing is not to force it. If your birdie is acting frightened or like "absolutely NOT" leave it be and just try getting him/her used to the harness. I've been told touching the bird in specific ways when cuddling can make a harness seem a lot less threatening (play with the wings, fingers gently going over eyes, etc).

I've been noticing Arya is a lot more resistant to the harness despite being more food-driven, but he was a lot older when he was first introduced to one. Whereas, thorin had almost no problem with them, despite being a more figity bird about being touched most places and his father's being out of place.

Attachments

Aequa

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Caity
Cons: - Ow ow ow ow ow ow :laughing2:

Seriously though, they are great to take birds out with but training can be quite the journey, take your time. Some birds, especially cheeky ones (ie conures!) really don't fancy them. I gave up with Yoshi but he has always been a funny little thing. One of the conures I lost to a hawk was much more accepting of it in general. They are awesome if you can get through the training :)

henschelke

Strolling the yard
I'm def going to give it a try I think would be awesome to be out and about with my fid! I'll take it slow and start while he/she is still young! And of course provide lots of treats :)

birdle

My green cheek never took to the harness and I didn't force it. I don't force him to do really anything unless it's an emergency. I feel much safer bringing him outside in his avian adventures hotel

Nnaime

Meeting neighbors
My YsGcc is terrified of his harness, it's not an aviator, but I wanted this one to see if it was worth investing in aviator. But I've worked with him to get used to sticking his head through for a treat but he freaks out to have it around him. I wish he would wear it because I just let his wings grow out because he needs the exercise, but now I can't bring him out with me. I think it is a wonderful thing, even the sweetest birds might hate it and won't tolerate it, so it just depends on your bird

TwoTinyTrees

Avenue Veteran
Tried a harness on my first tiel Ninny and she HATED IT :mad:and I Hated putting it on and off:shifty: it was just toooooo itty bitty for me and my fumbly fingers:grumpy:
but I loved the sense of security and letting them go walk around and explore knowing they are safe.
but I think if you have good trust built up like @JLcribber said then maybe your little guy wont be so scared and might even learn to like it!

Tyrion

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
Ive been training Tyrion for the last 6 months ...our biggest problem is that he gets a little turned on when Im training him to lift his wings and we have to stop the session ..if we could just get past that we would be doing good :wacky:

JulieAnn

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Julie Panasik
If you put it on and take them outside right away maybe they would learn the consequences of the harness

lexalayne

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Alexa
I'm afraid my metal chewing and destroying macaw would get it off before or while I am getting outside.. I'm chicken.

karen256

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
There are lots of pros - being able to take your bird out and about with you safely.
The main cons are that a lot of birds just will not tolerate them. Other cons might be that some birds can remove them (probably not a GCC though). And of course they can cause injury/loss if not used properly (for example if you let go of the leash and they get spooked and fly into a tree and get tangled out of reach).

The main thing is that many birds, small birds, especially, may find them uncomfortable and even scary. I think it's a good idea to start out with harness training while your bird is young, before he can start developing a fear of unfamiliar things. I don't mean actually putting the harness on right away but just getting him used to the feel of harness straps on his body. I'd get a short piece of ribbon that's about the color and size of the harness material and once your baby is comfortable with you, you can introduce it into playtime. Let him pick it up and play with it sometimes, other times you can try brushing him with it or laying it over him for a few seconds. Then you can progress to holding it in a loop with your fingers and putting it over his head again for just a short time. Also, if you get an aviator harness, you'll need to be able to lift his wing through a loop so you can try working towards practicing that, too. But just work at it very slowly, keep it as a game that's part of playtime at first. And make sure he is fine with all the harnessing steps while using a ribbon you are holding in a loop before actually using the harness. That way, if he does squirm around, you can instantly release him, whereas if he did the same thing in an actual harness, it might take you a moment to remove the harness - time in which he could panic and struggle and develop a fear of the harness.

Brian Evans

Checking out the neighborhood
The good sides of a harness if you can take your friend out and walk easily, no worrying that it will fly away. But if the materials is not good, and it is not comfortable for bird, then your friend may refused to wear it:). I try a Aviator before, but its too expensive. Materials is not that great. Too many size to choose, not good for me as a lazy thinking person. :(:p:hug8:

A friend recommended me a new adjustable harness recently,reasonable price, the good thing is it is adjustable for both neck and wing. Easy and simple.
You can get it from this link. Amazon.com : Adjustable Parrot Bird Harness Leash - VIPpet Anti-Bite Training Rope Outdoor Flying Harness And Leash for Lovebirds Budgies Parakeets Parrot African And Other Small Size Birds(2 packs) : Pet Supplies
If you need a discount code, drop me an email: forbrianevans@outlook.com. I shall be able to get one from the customer service guy for you. I tried for one of my friend. He got a 90% off code:dance4::dance4::dance4:.