• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pros and Cons of clipping wings

Did you get your bird's wings clipped?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Noah

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Noah Smith
I recently came across an issue with Jasper. He had his wings already clipped when we got him, but we knew it we would have to clip them soon because he was flying upwards and not slowly falling to the floor. He likes going outside because it's warm and he likes looking at all of the doves that fly by, so we knew we'd have to get his wings clipped. He did great when he got his wings clipped, according to the vet. If it went so good, then why do some people not clip their birds wings? Well, I decided to look into it and make a list of pros and cons about wing clipping.

Pro: If you take your bird out in public and don't have a harness, it won't be able to fly away.
Con: If you don't take your bird out in public, you shouldn't have to pay to clip your bird's wings.

Pro: It allows your bird to learn how to be social/friendly around people because they can't fly away and can go out in public.
Con: If your bird is aggressive, territorial, or has social anxiety, taking it in public isn't a good idea, so allowing it to fly indoors is okay.

Pro: Your bird can't fly in to walls and get injured.
Con: If your bird can't fly, it will have a harder time getting around unless you have perches or furniture for your bird to climb across

Pro: If you want your bird to get used to you, clipping it's wings will prevent it from flying away to its cage.
Con: Getting it's wings clipped can be dangerous for your bird and your vet. It may react badly and attack the vet or hurt itself trying to get away.

Pro: In most pet stores, the fee for clipping wings is very low and affordable.
Con: If you live in an area where there aren't many pet stores, or the pet stores are shady and possibly cruel, going to the vet (considering you have a vet in your area) can cost you up to 70 US dollars!

Pro: Getting your bird's wings clipped leads to easier training. Getting them clipped at an early age prepares your bird for future clippings.
Con:

Of course, there are plenty of reasons you should and shouldn't get your wings clipped, but in my opinion, you should do it. If one or more of these cons applies to you/your bird, then don't go through the trouble of getting it done. If you're reading this, chances are, you've already decided before hand whether or not you want your bird's wings clipped. If so, I hoped I changed your mind or helped you further your decision!

Please vote on the poll above!

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I don't clip.

It's illegal in many countries to clip. That speaks volumes.

A clipped bird can still escape. I know this because my mother in law lost a severely clipped cockatiel and he ended up miles away and dead.

A clipped bird is at the mercy of the wind, predators, etc. Nothing safer there.

A clipped bird is at risk for many health issues, including heart disease and fatty liver disease.

On the other hand, a flighted bird is able to exercise, keeping itself healthier.

A flighted bird is more confident, and is happier.

A flighted bird is less likely to develop behavior problems like plucking and screaming.

And there is a much deeper bond with a bird who chooses to spend time with you because it can fly to you versus one who has no choice because it is at your mercy.

A quote that sticks with me is , "A ship is always safest at the harbor, but that is not what it was built for."

A bird was built for flight. To deny it flight takes away millions of years of evolution. It's bad enough we deny them all the other things they evolved to do: have miles of territory, huge flocks, have mates. Shouldn't they have this ONE thing?

Having had clipped birds and flighted birds, I can tell you that my "happy" clipped birds seemed pretty sad compared to when they regained flight!

Please tie your shoelaces together and walk around like that for 6 months and tell me if that is the same quality of life as walking or running normally. You might be "fine" and adapt, but I bet given the option you'd prefer the full range of motion.

Point by point:

Pro: If you take your bird out in public and don't have a harness, it won't be able to fly away.

UNTRUE. Clipped birds can and do fly away. I know this for a fact.

Pro: It allows your bird to learn how to be social/friendly around people because they can't fly away and can go out in public.
Pro: If you want your bird to get used to you, clipping it's wings will prevent it from flying away to its cage.
Pro: Getting your bird's wings clipped leads to easier training.

Also known as learned helplessness. Taming a bird who is clipped is only "easier" because they are essentially helpless. My quaker came to me clipped (AND hand fed) and was super easy to "tame". Well, as soon as he got his feathers back I had to start over! And that's not a unique experience. Lots of people talk about how their bird suddenly "doesn't listen" or "doesn't like them" after regaining flight. So they keep clipping them to keep them helpless and docile.

If a bird is not allowed to fly away, then of course it is "easier" because it has no choice. Flying away gives the bird CHOICE which equates to happiness. It's like putting a dog on a leash and then bragging that it never runs away.

If you never let your child walk, he will also never fall. If you never learn to ride a bike, you'll never have to worry about falling off it.

Getting them clipped at an early age prepares your bird for future clippings.

That's a pro for the owner, not the bird.

NK_717

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
I'd prefer to have my birds unclipped, fully flighted. But because of how close doors leading to outside are- I don't want to risk anything as every now and then one of the
fids gets out of their cage (usually left open by accident or not locked all the way) and if by chance someone opened a door- they'd be gone just like that.

When we do have a proper bird room..they'll be able to have their flight. (Pikachu is unclipped but has a broken wing, rendering him flightless)
I dont think bringing a bird, clipped outside is still a good idea because we have a young (probably a few months) old 'tiel that can fly from ground up to our ceiling.
If he got a little breeze that could help him get far away before we can do anything about it..

A bird should be harnessed or in a cage/carrier outdoors. Flighted or clipped..

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
NO. Because clipping has absolutely NOTHING do with what a bird wants, needs and is good for it. Clipping is nothing but human convenience, laziness and ignorance. Why does anyone want a bird and not let it fly? Purely human ego.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I respectfully disagree with almost all of your pros. Clipping a bird's wings so they become more social, can't fly back to their cage, more easily trained etc. is forced dependency. It's not building or earning a bird's trust. And it's still not safe to take a clipped bird outside without a harness, etc. They can be picked up on a gust of wind. Flight is better for a bird both mentally and physically.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
The single most important negative about clipping your bird is it's health. Many, many captive birds develop circulatory issues. Flying helps to avoid these issues.

Birds love to fly - that's what they were meant to do. Clipping doesn't help with training one bit, you still must gain the trust and eventually the affection of your bird.

Jottlebot

Meeting neighbors
I passionately, but respectfully disagree with your pros list and I think Mizzely's post is particularly great in explaining why.

How can it possibly benefit the bird mentally or physically to have its means of movement removed!? Imagine...I have a big dog that can't be well trained and could hurt itself or someone else if it got out so I keep it hobbled (cut off the front of its feet). I know some people don't agree, but he stays much quieter, he doesn't jump up anymore and doesn't escape if I leave the gate open and I can walk him without a lead. He doesn't run away from me either... Surely it's the same? Feathers might grow back, but if you just have them cut again it really doesn't matter!

Noah

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Noah Smith
I don't clip.

It's illegal in many countries to clip. That speaks volumes.

A clipped bird can still escape. I know this because my mother in law lost a severely clipped cockatiel and he ended up miles away and dead.

A clipped bird is at the mercy of the wind, predators, etc. Nothing safer there.

A clipped bird is at risk for many health issues, including heart disease and fatty liver disease.

On the other hand, a flighted bird is able to exercise, keeping itself healthier.

A flighted bird is more confident, and is happier.

A flighted bird is less likely to develop behavior problems like plucking and screaming.

And there is a much deeper bond with a bird who chooses to spend time with you because it can fly to you versus one who has no choice because it is at your mercy.

A quote that sticks with me is , "A ship is always safest at the harbor, but that is not what it was built for."

A bird was built for flight. To deny it flight takes away millions of years of evolution. It's bad enough we deny them all the other things they evolved to do: have miles of territory, huge flocks, have mates. Shouldn't they have this ONE thing?

Having had clipped birds and flighted birds, I can tell you that my "happy" clipped birds seemed pretty sad compared to when they regained flight!

Please tie your shoelaces together and walk around like that for 6 months and tell me if that is the same quality of life as walking or running normally. You might be "fine" and adapt, but I bet given the option you'd prefer the full range of motion.

Point by point:

UNTRUE. Clipped birds can and do fly away. I know this for a fact.

Pro: Getting your bird's wings clipped leads to easier training.

Also known as learned helplessness. Taming a bird who is clipped is only "easier" because they are essentially helpless. My quaker came to me clipped (AND hand fed) and was super easy to "tame". Well, as soon as he got his feathers back I had to start over! And that's not a unique experience. Lots of people talk about how their bird suddenly "doesn't listen" or "doesn't like them" after regaining flight. So they keep clipping them to keep them helpless and docile.

If a bird is not allowed to fly away, then of course it is "easier" because it has no choice. Flying away gives the bird CHOICE which equates to happiness. It's like putting a dog on a leash and then bragging that it never runs away.

If you never let your child walk, he will also never fall. If you never learn to ride a bike, you'll never have to worry about falling off it.

Getting them clipped at an early age prepares your bird for future clippings.

That's a pro for the owner, not the bird.
Most of what you said is true, and I respect your opinion, but there's one thing. I had a Nanday conure who had brain damage from flying into a wall. She wouldn't have had brain damage if she couldn't fly because she wouldn't bash her head into a wall on purpose.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Most of what you said is true, and I respect your opinion, but there's one thing. I had a Nanday conure who had brain damage from flying into a wall. She wouldn't have had brain damage if she couldn't fly because she wouldn't bash her head into a wall on purpose.

All of my birds flew into walls a lot more when clipped, and only a few times as learning when they regained flight. I lost a bird to the great outdoors. If she had been clipped, she still might be with me. Yet if I had the chance to go back and do it differently, I would still not handicap her. I miss her everyday, but I could never take that away from her.

safehaven

Sprinting down the street
When I think of clipping a birds wings, I think of how I would feel if I could not walk or run all of a sudden. How would this be a benefit?

Irishj9

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
JP
Wing clipping is Butchery. Its a cruel mean act of domination and control.

If you crippled a dog in this way your neighbours would come round and burn your house down

Pipsqueak

Avenue Veteran
Birds that are clipped can get easily injured because they will try to fly when startled or if they want to get away. My cockatiel has permanent damage from his first clip, the outer two flight feathers on one wing will never grow in properly again. He is an excellent flyer. Our house has an open floor plan and many windows, the foyer is two story and I have a ceiling fan in the family room. Pipsqueak flies free the whole day, he flies up to the second floor and back, he never flew into a wall. If the risk of birds flying against things would be so high they would be lying around everywhere outside. Birds maneuver pretty well if they get the chance.

schnitzle

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Schnitzle
It's really unfortunate that some places that sell or adopt out birds insist on clipping the wings before the birds come home :shakehead:

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
There's something wonderful about a bird that actively chooses to be with you and seeks your company. The first time your companion flies to your shoulder or arm is magical. When Leia decides to hang out with or on me, I know she's making a choice and I'm something she actually seeks out rather than just something she cannot get away from. If she flies into her cage it's because she wants to be there - why should I stop her? Sometimes she wants to play with a toy, or just have some peace. She's very rarely on the floor so I worry less about stepping on her or her getting squashed.

She's friendly and social because she knows she can move away if she's not sure of something - she often watches new people from a vantage point and flies closer if she decides that person is okay or wants a better look at them. She goes outside in a large travel cage so she can get some sun. She's an agile flyer and I love watching her in flight - a creature beautifully evolved for the air. She has never been clipped, so grew up with that physical and spatial awareness - she knows where the walls, mirror and windows are.

Yes, I have to modify my behaviour. I have to be incredibly careful about windows, doors and just being aware of where she is. However, I'm happy to change my behaviour - I knew I'd have to do that, I understand the depths to which my life would change with a flighted bird around the house. Leia would never have had a choice about whether her wings were clipped. The onus should be on me to make dramatic changes, not her.

Shinobi

Jogging around the block
I recently came across an issue with Jasper. He had his wings already clipped when we got him, but we knew it we would have to clip them soon because he was flying upwards and not slowly falling to the floor. He likes going outside because it's warm and he likes looking at all of the doves that fly by, so we knew we'd have to get his wings clipped. He did great when he got his wings clipped, according to the vet. If it went so good, then why do some people not clip their birds wings? Well, I decided to look into it and make a list of pros and cons about wing clipping.

Con: If you don't take your bird out in public, you shouldn't have to pay to clip your bird's wings.

Con: If your bird is aggressive, territorial, or has social anxiety, taking it in public isn't a good idea, so allowing it to fly indoors is okay.

Con: If your bird can't fly, it will have a harder time getting around unless you have perches or furniture for your bird to climb across

Con: Getting it's wings clipped can be dangerous for your bird and your vet. It may react badly and attack the vet or hurt itself trying to get away.

Con: If you live in an area where there aren't many pet stores, or the pet stores are shady and possibly cruel, going to the vet (considering you have a vet in your area) can cost you up to 70 US dollars!

Pro: Getting your bird's wings clipped leads to easier training. Getting them clipped at an early age prepares your bird for future clippings.
Con:

Of course, there are plenty of reasons you should and shouldn't get your wings clipped, but in my opinion, you should do it. If one or more of these cons applies to you/your bird, then don't go through the trouble of getting it done. If you're reading this, chances are, you've already decided before hand whether or not you want your bird's wings clipped. If so, I hoped I changed your mind or helped you further your decision!

Please vote on the poll above!

Hello Noah
Not one of your pros was even close to the truth. Here we are in the year 2017 and there are people who still believe that wing clipping is a good thing.

fluffypoptarts

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Mine all stay flighted because it's healthier for them and they just love to fly (naturally). And I love seeing them fly! I'm always in awe of their skill. Twinkie is more fighter jet than birdy!

LilSprout

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Phil
I am very much an anti-clip person. I think flying is a natural and healthy thing that should be encouraged. Kamara hasn't really figured out she's allowed to fly to other places in the room but hopefully she will soon!

alshgs

Avenue Veteran
My two are flighted and will remain flighted. Tuki had stress feathers when we thought Rio and Diego home, but flying fixed that. Plus, everytime he flies, he comes to visit me, my choice, not by me forcing him. I've let diegos wings grow out (she was clipped before I brought her home) and she is learning to fly and it's a beautiful thing to watch a bird fly. So no, I will never clip and I disagree whole heartedly with it. Mine are out all day almost and fly when and where they choose. And that is what's so beautiful about it

Status
Not open for further replies.