• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Proper bar spacing for a lovebird?

Ilse

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Em
Lately I've decided Rockie needs a new cage, but I've been reading so many articles and cage descriptions to no avail. I've read repeatedly that the best bar spacing size for a lovie is 1/2", sometimes people say that to 5/8" and others say 5/8" is too big, but i can't find that spacing with the cage i want for Rockie. I want her to have a cage with a play top, the one conure owners usually get, because she loves to be on top of her cage.

157CM Bird Cage Parrot Aviary Pet Stand Budgie Perch Castor Wheels Multi Colours | eBay

This is the kind I'd LOVE to have. The design is so nice in my opinion. Now, if you scroll down and read the specifications, you may see that with the 157cm cage the bar spacing is approx. 14 mm. Perfect, right? Well I messaged the seller about whether it would be safe with a lovie (I've seen this exact cage many times and it always says it's 18 mm just like the 156 cm one does) And the seller, of course, said they have never had a problem with a parrot getting hurt in this specific cage (at least when bought from them) but they also said the cage is 18 mm all the way around. I've asked if the bar spacing is incorrect with the 157 cm cage and I'm still waiting for a response.

The absolute smallest size I've seen other than this is 16 mm, so would that be okay? Does anyone know if these cages can even come with a smaller bar spacing? 18 seems to almost be the minimum so I'm not sure if what these sellers say is true...

I've tried measuring Rockie's head, but since she isn't completely tame (and HATES hands) I couldn't get an exact measurement. Though it seems like her head is a bit less than 2 cm across, I'm not 100% sure.

I can't spend too much on a cage either (due to age) so if anyone has any links to cheap-ish cages of this style (or at least ones with a nice play top) that are a good size for a lovie, please throw them over! It would be greatly appreciated!

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
I googled 'bird cage bar spacing' and it comes up with a guide that says Lovebirds Ideal bar spacing is 1/2" to 5/8"

I will try to add some links a little later on for cheap cages that I have found in Aus.

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sadie

Ilse

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Em
My Lovebird's cage and my Conure's cage both have 1/2" spacing. Never ever had a problem.

That cage you listed is cute, but since birds don't fly like helicopters, it'd probably be more beneficial if it were wider rather than taller.
This kind would give him room to fly: Large Bird Cage Parrot Aviary Pet Stand-alone Budgie Perch Wheels Castor Black 675502099069 | eBay
Yeah you're probably right, Rockie can't really fly since she's clipped but she's out of her cage often so if she wants to she can, but I think she prefers to climb

Ilse

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Em
Alright, I got a reply.

"Oh? I thought for at least the white/green cages it was 14 mm! Is that not correct?" Was what I said to them.

"Thanks for your message.Yes, that is correct. Hope this can help you." Was their response.

So... Hopefully it is really 14 mm? I'm a little worried to buy it but the seller has pretty good reviews...

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
One thing I'll note .. A flat top cage gives you a lot more versatility than a playtop. None of my birds have ever used the playtop on their cages, so I always add my own stuff which they DO use.

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sadie
One thing I'll note .. A flat top cage gives you a lot more versatility than a playtop. None of my birds have ever used the playtop on their cages, so I always add my own stuff which they DO use.
That's just SO typical, isn't it? Give them a toy and they play with the box instead.