• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Prong collars?

Status
Not open for further replies.

atvchick95

Biking along the boulevard
Real Name
Kelli
my cousin had one on his dog i about freaked..... They're not the best of collars but they're not actually Pointy/pokey like they look - which is why i freaked i thought it was pointy but they're not they're blunt at the end. but its just another choker collar - "training collars"

Which I don't believe in choker collars either nor do i believe in using electronic collars to make a dog stop barking I would how ever love to attach those electronic collars to some people and Zap them every time they opened their pie hole LOL

But we used to have a electronic flea/tick collar for a dog i had growing up ......... it did nothing to the dog it let off a sound the fleas/ticks didn't like - similar to the rodent kind you can plug into your wall - and it actually worked! and no chemicals needed that dog never once had fleas while he had that collar on

jamie

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Jamie
They are not as bad as you think, when used properly. Cesar Milan has demonstrated their use, but I think that they are really only meant for very large, strong dogs.

Quiverful

Life is a gift:)
Real Name
Dawn
I used one of these on one of my dogs. When used correctly, they give a little pinch. I have a large and muscular dog that needed to learn manners on a leash. A choke chain was doing nothing so I used a prong collar. I only put it on during a training session and then it was removed. I never yanked on it or used it as a choke like collar. It only took 3 or 4 times and my dog was walking obediently beside me.

I think these have their place, but many people misuse or overuse them.

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
it is called a german choke it is used a long time ago for obedeance training for large agressive not well socialized dogs so they can be handled it is not used that much and for some dogs there is no alternative :hug8:

Emmilyy

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Emily
I guess.. they're probably not as bad as they look.. And i bet some big dogs wouldn't feel them (i know our bulldogs were pretty dense and couldn't feel much of anything :p )

I just didn't like the looks of it, i thought they'd be super painful!

piercesdesigns

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Debbie
I do a lot of dog training. They are MUCH more humane than choke chains. When people protest I have them put a choke chain on their upper arm and pull it shut fast, then put one of the prong collars on and pull it shut. The prong collar distributes the pressure evenly and is much more effective and less likely to damage windpipes, etc.

Archiesmom

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Natalie
Quite agreed. If prong collars can be properly utilized, they are an effective training tool, and are far more humane than your regular choke or shock collar. The pinch naturally simulates a mother dog reprimanding a young pup, so its a great way to communicate "right and wrong" in the moment when it comes to leash training.

Another effective way is a Gentle Leader, which is what I used with my dog. Its a band that goes over the nose and if the dog begins to pull into the leash, they immediately will back off from the redistributed pressure. Again though, I have seen these used inhumanely, where they are too tight around the dogs face and the dog can barely open its mouth, etc. etc. Its all about being properly trained in how to use the tool, and always using it to better communicate with your dog to vs. punishing or abusing them

thejoie

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Joanna
You have to be taught how to use one... but they aren't terrible! Our English Bulldog mix has SO much energy walks are a must. But he's also a bulldog and his pulling capabilities were terrifying. After a walk, my hands would be raw and my muscles sore. It was a full body workout.
We worked with him with a pinch collar for a few weeks and he is such a great walker now! Some dogs absolutely hate it but Porkchop didn't seem to care. It a regular collar or a choke collar, he'd seriously pull till he threw up. This helped very much. But you have to be taught how to fit it and use it!! I would never recommend someone uses this without professional instruction!

Here's a link:
The Collar Debate: Pinch vs. Choke | Field & Stream

Emmilyy

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Emily
I'm glad i posted this, then! Always learning something new :)

I use Gentle Leaders on my cousins great dane when i walk her. I should get one for my monsters, they are horrible to walk. Puck is scared of collars and leashes (has been since we got him) and Poppie pulls the entire time (and barks and growls at other dogs) but they're small and easy to control..

Archiesmom

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Natalie
I highly recommend the Gentle Leader if you're looking for an aid. In my opinion, it corrected Major's behavior, who not only has the attention span of a moth, but a huge prey drive as well, in a matter of minutes and I was able to have his complete attention on a walk without him dislocating my shoulder everytime he saw a squirrel, or even thought he saw a squirrel.

Emmilyy

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Emily
yeah they're great! i can not control my cousins great dane without one on, at least when she was younger i couldn't. Same with my grandparents Boxer.

Nikki

Hit the Road
Real Name
Nikki
They are not as bad as you think, when used properly. Cesar Milan has demonstrated their use, but I think that they are really only meant for very large, strong dogs.
Oh man I have been using them on my mini hounds of heck pack! :p

I have a shock collar... I used it once & now all I have to do is show it to them & they shut it up, if they start up I put it on them & use the noise setting on it, that is a good enough warning for them. They get the point.

Little dogs are so yappy. If you use these type of collars the way you're supposed to then it is all good. It's the idiot that sets the shock collar to high & abuses it.

Emmilyy

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Emily
Me and my cousins have put a shock collar (low on batteries, so not working great) on my sister and pushed her through the electril fence again and again. (of course she asked us to and was laughing the whole time.. hehe)

Little dogs ARE yappy! Poppie growls more than she yaps, though. She's like a constant growler.. not in a mean way..

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
I would never use a choke chain, as that can cause nerve damage by pressing on one area of a dogs neck. We had prong collars for our German Shepherds. They do look worse than they are. They apply even pressure around a dogs neck so they dont pull. I would never use them again. Nothing like this is really needed with proper obedience and training with your dogs. I would never use them again. :(

Nikki

Hit the Road
Real Name
Nikki
Me and my cousins have put a shock collar (low on batteries, so not working great) on my sister and pushed her through the electril fence again and again. (of course she asked us to and was laughing the whole time.. hehe)

Little dogs ARE yappy! Poppie growls more than she yaps, though. She's like a constant growler.. not in a mean way..
Shock collars set on the low setting gives a mild shock no worse then the pinch on the prong collars. I would never do anything that hurt my little pups. They have the run of the backyard they love being out there, but they bark & bark & bark & bark at everything! For such little things they have a loud bark & my neighbors don't enjoy it. When they start up all I have to do is just show them the collar, then they are quiet for a few hours.

Last edited:

Emmilyy

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Emily
^^ what knd of dogs do you have, Nikki?

luvconique

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Jeni
We had a german shepard when I was a teen who could pull my 260 lb father around the block even WITH a prong collar.

This dog was a rescue, and had had no training when he was young.

akijoy

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Monica
I've used the prong collar before on my German Shepherd dog. In my opinion, it is much better than the choke collar. If you put the prong collar on your arm and try it, you will see that it doesn't hurt very much. I don't need to use it anymore, but I would use it again if I needed to.

Status
Not open for further replies.