• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent PROLAPSED CLOACA

LuckyBird

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Ann Rienks
I have an African Grey male and he prolapsed his cloaca, I took him into the vet. He put 2 stitches in and it did nothing but break my bank account. I've been referred to an even more expensive vet by the failing vet.
Anyone out there ever deal with this and what kind of procedure did they do for your bird and cost. What is the survival rate?

Thanks for sharing.

enigma731

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
If you want your bird to live, he will likely need surgery. I would expect at least a couple thousand dollars for the procedure. That is part of the cost of being a bird owner.

Greencheek Lee

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Lee
I had a budgie that had that issue. We'd get her stitched, she'd pull them out, repeat. They also gave her a shot to help calm down the hormones since it was from egg laying. She survived it, I think it happened 4 or 5 times (about 15 years ago). Assuming yours is from egg laying as well, look through how to calm down hormones...certain foods etc. Good luck I know it's frustrating. This was about 15 years ago for me, a regular vet with bird experience took care of it each time.

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Males do and will have prolapsed cloaca,,though more common in females, the procedure done gives you a 50/ 50 chance ,..being honest here. Did the vet give you any Metacam for inflammation and pain? Stitching may or not help...been there, done that...unfortunately with me it didn't do anything. I hope your bird will be ok, most importantly, keep the prolapse moist with vitamin E oil, or Manuka honey, even..Neosporin. ...dry tissue can turn necrotic very quickly. They will also see this as a " foriegn " part on theyre body and possibly pick at it. Was a protective cone put on? Prayers...