• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Progress- Water Dragon Viv

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hypancistrus

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Lauren
I made a lot of progress this weekend on my baby water dragon viv. It's a 30 gallon standard (36" x 12" x 16") which should work for 6-8 months while I save up for a tall arboreal Animal Plastics adult viv. I am not sure when I will be getting the lizard. I am going to be pretty picky about it. I want a nice looking, healthy specimen with little to no nose rub.

Anyway, here is a photo.

Water dragons like a lot of humidity and heat in their enviroment. They are similar to green iguanas in that way. The basking spot has temps in the mid-upper 90's, with overall daytime temps hovering in the 80's. I have a 75 watt red night light to provide a lower level of heat in the evenings and at night.

Right now, the shelves are those new "Magnatural" shelves, with the giant magnets. We'll see how those hold up. If they end up working out, I'd like to add one or two more to give him some additional choices in temps and basking locations. I think I may add a log across the tank center as well.

Dan

Moving in
Real Name
Dan
nice! have a UV light in there?

Lex123

Rollerblading along the road
I lve little water dragons! Is it going to be an Assie or Chinese dragon? I have a Leopard Gecko, but before I got KeeWee, my parents said, "Bird or Water Dragon?". Needless to say, I love reptiles,but sprang for the bird instead. One gecko is enough for right now :)

Hypancistrus

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Lauren
nice! have a UV light in there?
Yup. I am going to replace the bulb this weekend (right now it's just a flourescent daylight buld) before I add a lizard. I am not sure I am happy with it's location at the moment, so I may end up moving it or the shelf-- it is long and black and in the center of this photo.

I lve little water dragons! Is it going to be an Assie or Chinese dragon? I have a Leopard Gecko, but before I got KeeWee, my parents said, "Bird or Water Dragon?". Needless to say, I love reptiles,but sprang for the bird instead. One gecko is enough for right now :)
Chinese. I like the fact that they are green like baby igs. My townhouse is way too small for an ig, but it's okay for even an adult water dragon.

Archiesmom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Natalie
VERY nice!
We have a viv/terr set up for our tokays (we had originally done the filter waterfall underground through the egg crate but had so many problems that we broke down and got a surface waterfall and poxy'd the back so we wouldn't have to worry with leaks.)
We also have those magnatural ledges and *love* them. So convenient to use, and no icky residue on the back of the tank if you try and move them! I recommend looking into the ones that have the natural planters--we have one and while we haven't been entirely successful in keeping a plant alive in one of them, I think its the plants I am selecting. I'm doing more research to see if I can find a plant that suits its better. But our tokays love them for cover.

Greycloud

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Your terrarium looks great. I love water dragons, they are neat looking. They remind me of little dinosaurs.

Sharpie

Avenue Veteran
What substrate are you using there?

Blazeybird

Real Name
Houston
Love it! I had a few terrariums for a while (plants only though). Loved it :)

Status
Not open for further replies.