• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Problem with lixit water bottle nozzleab

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
My nozzles are six or so years old. When I bought new bottles the nozzles are thicker and look different. The caiques won't drink from it. My method of cleaning nozzles has been to run diluted gse through them. Ideas? Water bowl they would dip their colored wood into and drink the dye, plus poop in it and make soup. I can change it when I'm home but for about five hours it will be contaminated.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Rinsing doesn't cut the mustard. You must run some kind of pipe cleaner through there to rub the surface before it will rinse away. The slime sticks to the surface like concrete.

This is why I hate these things. They are not safe/cleaner than a good old stainless steel dish. If one has a bug going around their birds and can't for the life figure out where its coming from because they think they are cleaning everything. That's the first place I'd look.

Test. Rinse the spout to the best of your ability. Then run a pipe cleaner through there and see what you come up with.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
I'll switch to a bowl and see how it goes.

Nadia Bingo

Strolling the yard
On a side note - GSE is not the best cleaning option. You can google it but "tests conducted in multiple laboratories over almost 20 years indicated that all commercial GFSE preparations that exhibited antimicrobial activity contained one or more synthetic microbicides/disinfectants, while freshly-prepared extracts of grapefruit seeds made with a variety of extraction solvents neither exhibited antimicrobial activity nor contained the antimicrobial synthetic compounds found in the commercial ingredient materials."

So those hidden disinfectants are what make 'GSE' work. The fact that they don't list what they are made me steer away from using GSE. If I am going to use a disinfectant I like to know what is in it.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
On a side note - GSE is not the best cleaning option. You can google it but "tests conducted in multiple laboratories over almost 20 years indicated that all commercial GFSE preparations that exhibited antimicrobial activity contained one or more synthetic microbicides/disinfectants, while freshly-prepared extracts of grapefruit seeds made with a variety of extraction solvents neither exhibited antimicrobial activity nor contained the antimicrobial synthetic compounds found in the commercial ingredient materials."
Yikes! :eek:

@saroj12 I worry about the bowl also....was hoping the dunking was a baby thing. I change out the water in the ss bowl 3x a day, it is gross, full of food and smells like throw-up!

I caught him drinking from the tiel's drinker so now he has both, He was cramming food up in the drinker too so I moved it away from the food and the bowl right beside the food.

Finding you a pic of drinker....

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Here it is except I think his holds more than the 6 oz? I use 3 different sizes.

6.5 Oz bird waterer system. Ideal for finch, canary and small birds.

Have never recommended lixit, your birds are probably big enough to get a drink regardless but with finches as with rabbits, the little ball can get stuck and they die of dehydration before you realize they could not get their water. :sad3:

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj