• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Probably a stupid question, but

NutMeg1987

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Margaret
Do GCCs normally eat off and on all day? I'm pretty sure they do, but it seems like I read something that said they usually eat in the morning. Also, granted I've only had him 24 hours, but so far he hasn't pooped anywhere but his cage. Good for me, but I'm wondering if that's normal, or if I need to be sure to only keep him out of his cage a certain amount of time so he won't hold it too long. TIA

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Most all parrots eat off and on all day long. When you take a parrot into a new home they need time to adjust and feel safe. It doesn't happen in 24 hours. Try to relax and just enjoy your new bird. Let him or her be for a few days except for cleaning and feeding.

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sadie
If an animal is eating poop, there's a problem... sometimes it's a deficiency.

Kodigirl210

Rollerblading along the road
There are some birds (all species) that will not poop at all in their cage no matter how much they eat. Our GCC will hold it for 8-10 hours to avoid going in her cage so it is important for you to give your new fid time outside the cage every few hours to allow for potty. It would be an especially good way to potty train because you can take the gcc from the cage to where you want them to poop and have them poop before doing other things.